SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripods for binoculars

starscy

Hi starscy, what size binoculars are you intending to use?

For my Helios 20x90's I bought a Manfrotto 475B and a 501HD head, total price £500

They do a great job in keeping them in position with virtually no wobble when adjustments are made

I am planning to use them with either 20x80 or 20x90 binoculars that I also intend to get soon. I think £500 is a little too much to spend, but one of my options is a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a 701HDV head that would cost less. Could I find similar performance under a different brand at even a lower price?

I am planning to use them with either 20x80 or 20x90 binoculars that I also intend to get soon. I think £500 is a little too much to spend, but one of my options is a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a 701HDV head that would cost less. Could I find similar performance under a different brand at even a lower price?

well I asked that question when wondering what I should use with the Helios bins, that was about the cheapest option I was advised to buy.

As good as I could afford was the point made, going for a poor tripod etc only leads to frustaition as you are not able to enjoy using the bins because you are fighting keeping them under control.

what is the maximum weight the kit you have looked at will hold?

The Olivons are very sturdy mounts and as good as more expensive manfrottos (my opinion)

The TRH-11 head you mention is infact a manfrotto 128 RC2 head re-branded, and costs less money

Do you know if other Olivon heads or tripods are also re-branded Manfrotto products?

Not to hijack this thread, but in order to check my understanding of what has been said so far, how do any of these tripods/heads help you see near to the zenith? There was a thread on here a little while back concerning people's height and what tripods were available that would enable people of average height to get underneath their binos as it were, to get views of objects high in the sky. The most effective mounts I have seen have been monopods that are supported at their base and have a combination grip/ball joint type of head to allow positioning for those high views.

James

Not to hijack this thread, but in order to check my understanding of what has been said so far, how do any of these tripods/heads help you see near to the zenith? There was a thread on here a little while back concerning people's height and what tripods were available that would enable people of average height to get underneath their binos as it were, to get views of objects high in the sky. The most effective mounts I have seen have been monopods that are supported at their base and have a combination grip/ball joint type of head to allow positioning for those high views.

James

I think observing at or near the Zenith is a problem James, unless, as you say, some additional equipment is also used which means more cost.

I think most of us are happy to observe at around the 60 deg mark, for anything higher I guess we are losing out but there's still plenty to see up to that altitude

this link may help for this thread :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/128808-cheap-tripod.html

The Manfrotto 804RC2 3-way head has the same load capacity with the Manfrotto 701HDV 2-way head, but it is less expensive. Has anyone tried it?

Regarding monopods, has anyone tried the Manfrotto 682B? This has three retractable legs and a load capacity of 12kg.

The Manfrotto 804RC2 3-way head has the same load capacity with the Manfrotto 701HDV 2-way head, but it is less expensive. Has anyone tried it?

Regarding monopods, has anyone tried the Manfrotto 682B? This has three retractable legs and a load capacity of 12kg.

I have seen both Russ and Moonshane mention that they use monopods, I am sure they would not mind if you pm them with some questions on them :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, i am getting the celestron 15x70 bino's and want a tripod for them, does anyone no a make and model that would be compatible? want them as cheap as possible but obviously sturdy. i am new to all this so dont no what im looking for at all. thanks x

Archived