Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn Spotting Hopeful!

cdavies360

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repeat question.

I have a Skywatcher 200P on an EQ5 mount. Have viewed Jupiter throughout Winter and been able to get some good results and pictures showing Jupiter and 4 of its moons. However, it is very small and you can't make out any detail on the pictures as much as I'd like to.

My concern with this is that i'm worried i'll be able to see nothing of Saturn at all if I set up and start viewing.

I don't have motors or a GoTo system but like I did with Jupiter, i'd hope that manual tracking should suffice - even just to view.

The lenses available to me are the super wide, standard 10mm, and the 2 x barlow lens.

Can anyone please give me any tips on somthing i'm perhaps doing wrong or perhaps my expectations are out with my 8inch reflector. I know these should primarily be used for deep space photography but would like to see if I can make my setup work for me in this case.

Would appreciate any tips or advice that could help me get a nice glimpse of Saturn - are my expections to high in expecting to see any rings from our planet and with the kit I have?

Thanks!

Chris

i cant comment on the photgraphy side of it, but ive had some cracking views of saturn on my SW 130m, smaller than i thought but great detail, and i can see one of its moons as well. even with the moon the way it is at the moment saturn looks great and is very easy to spot.

How much detail are you able to make out with your set up? Are you able to make out the rings going round it or is it more a bright blob but know that it is saturn? - just out of interest so I know what to expect.

Hi Chris, I would suggest you download Stellarium for help in checking what is visable from your location.

Stellarium

when starting your observing use your lowest power eyepiece, say a 32mm if you have one, what is the power of your superwide you have?, you may need a couple more. Once you have the object you are looking for in the center of the field of view (fov) you can then increase the power and center the object again and so on until you are happy with the image through the eyepiece.

Saturn and some of its moons will be an unmistakable sight once you have them, other skymaps will help too, the Sky at Night Magazine for instance, has a monthly guide to show you what is available for observation for one.

Your kit will have no problem in seeing it and many other great objects :)

Hope that helps :(

Hi Chris,

You should be able to get some cracking views of Saturn with your kit:) I only have a 4" Refractor and with any of my EPs can view it. I've only managed to get out on one good seeing night v.recently and was able to resolve the Cassini division (just). Only one moon though and a little averted vision helps with that. The past couple of observing sessions have been snatched events where I haven't bothered aligning the scope. Okay I'm having to tweak the motors every few seconds to keep it centered but it has been sufficient to show my Daughter and my In-Laws Saturn none of who had ever looked through a scope before:D Even in my tiny 8x42 binos I can look at Saturn and resolve that there is more there than just a star point. I confess I haven't tried imaging it as I'm having issues on that front at the moment:icon_scratch:

Clear skies;)

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Can't be sure of the super-wide specs at the moment but will find the details when I'm back. Skies are looking good at the moment here in Manchester but know they can change within 20 mins. Off to Galloway Forest again at the end of next week for the 2nd time so hoping for clear skies again there. Was absoloutly fantastic last summer with the meteor shower. Perfect view - only disapointment was the number of flies and midgies!

Thanks for the reference to Stellarium. I actually have that already together with Pocket Universe for my iPhone which I have been very impressed with.

Should the skies stay as they are then I will be setting up tonight and hopefully get a good glimpse of Saturn.

Thanks again for your pointers and will let you know how I get on.

Hi Chris,

I have had some great views of Saturn with my 150P on an EQ3-2. Have clearly seen the rings and the separation between the rings and disc, also have seen two moons, Triton and Iapetas and a glimpse of a third moon, but as Rhea and Dione were both very close at the time not sure which.

FYI if you zoom in on Saturn using Stellarium you can see the position of the main moons to help with identification.

From the above you can see that given good skies you should have good views of this wonder.

Good luck and enjoy.

Your scope will definitely give you good views of Saturn, as long as the seeing is okay. If it isn't then the view just gets blurred. My 200P dob is a manual version and I can keep Saturn in view quite easily, even at the very highest mag, so tracking on your EQ5 shouldn't give you any problems there.

Fingers crossed for clear skies tonight :)

Hi Chris

I have the same kit as you, but with motors and am able to see Saturn pretty well including 3-4 moons usually. I use the 2x barlow and the 10mm EP.

Looking very promising here tonight for clear skies, so I'll be out imaging it.

Well...I've got to say...I was pretty speachless last night. Got the kit set up, was an awful evening for it. So much light pollution and felt like I was inside an orange bubble......but it all paid off because I got the view I've been waiting for.

I can see why everyone raves about it now because it really is a site. Got a couple pictures but suprisingly got a good video of it as well using a handheld point and shoot Canon jobby. Nothing special but I have to give it to my missus for being steady handed.

The video itself is uploaded to facebook at the moment, but will try and find a hosting site and give you guys a link to check it out.

Fantastic site. Cannot wait for Galloway Forest next week now.

Well...I've got to say...I was pretty speachless last night. Got the kit set up, was an awful evening for it. So much light pollution and felt like I was inside an orange bubble......but it all paid off because I got the view I've been waiting for.

I can see why everyone raves about it now because it really is a site. Got a couple pictures but suprisingly got a good video of it as well using a handheld point and shoot Canon jobby. Nothing special but I have to give it to my missus for being steady handed.

The video itself is uploaded to facebook at the moment, but will try and find a hosting site and give you guys a link to check it out.

Fantastic site. Cannot wait for Galloway Forest next week now.

Glad

Nice to read you managed to see it! If there's one consolation with observing the planets its that the light pollution is not a problem, I remember having a look at Jupiter in the daytime, luckily the Moon was up so I could set the Got To, and you can't have any worse lp than that lol

Saturn itself must surely be THE sight that can give the greatest pleasure from seeing :)

Archived