Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

legoalan

How to use a cheshire collimating eyepiece

Can anyone teach me how to use a collimating eyepiece please? What I've done is slotted the whole collimator into the eyepiece tube and through a tiny hole I can see a crosshair. Do I just aim the crosshair at the middle of the mirror or something?

Thanks

Also what is the hole on the side for? Am I suppose to look into it?

Point the objective at a bright wall, put the cheshire into the eyepiece tube. Align the hole in the top so that a light shines down into the large hole and look into the small hole. The only instructions I have for it are for collimating my RC, but they give an idea... the details for your scope may be different...

http://www.astronomics.com/main/documents/astro%20tech/astro-tech%20at6rc%20collimation%20sheet.pdf

Did you get a manual with your scope ?, most of them come with instructions specific to that scope and how to collimate it.

Thanks for the guide biz

I read the manual and it doesnt contain anything to do with collimation but I think I know which screws are the ones to adjust the mirror

be very slow and careful in the adjustments... I spend ages chasing the collimation in a circle around and around the central axis of the scope and collimator till I got, just how small the needed adjustments were... at one point I thought I was never going to get it...

Collimating is like riding a bike - total confusion followed by an amazing sense of achievement!! First time may take a while - after that its a five (maybe ten) minute job.

• Like 1

Astro Babys guide is what I used but dependant on the length of your cheshire when fully inserted you may not be able to see all of the secondary mirror to centre it. This was my problem and when I withdrew the cheshire enought to see the complete secondary mirror it was moving around slightly in the holder. I wrapped it in plumbers tape to get a good neat fit no problem from then on.

I collimated my telescope for the first time yesterday, and I found it quite easy thanks to this video

:) Hope it can help you too, I always find it easier to watch someone do it before I do it myself.
  • Like 3