Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An iPhone App

Anyone used Starwalk on iPhone/iPad? Whats your say about its accuracy?

On the live view screen, there is a search option at the bottom left corner. When you tap on it, you are given more options about your search (e.g. planets, stars, deep sky, satellites) and then whatever you are looking for, select it, a green arrow comes out showing directions, follow that arrow hovering your iPhone/iPad, you'll find. As simple as that!!

Now I was wondering, (Being a newbie) can I reply on this to look for objects?

i have the google sky map on my Android, great little tool

if you install "tapatalk" you will be able to access SGL on your phone better too

dont forget to callibrate the compass on your phone, if you do every few days you will get false reads from the app

I use Star Walk daily, very useful for tracking the International Space Station, although I've found it slightly premature by a minute or so sometimes in where it says the ISS will be - it's trajectory is accurate but the timing can be slightly out, but I've never heard of recalibrating the compass so it may be that??

Great app, helped me find Saturn for the first time last month in about 2 seconds!

Jay

Cheers Jay, thats what I wanted to hear that if you could just search for something, locate it, and turn your scope that way to look for more of it.

How helpful is this app aligning your scope? Also please let me know about the support from the scope and mount in case of imaging, mounting Canon 20D. Thanks

I'm using an Android phone at the moment, with my really ancient 76mm Newtons, in concert with an app called SkEye. A lot of people are mounting their phones onto their telescopes and using the it as a kind of "push to" system.

Basically works by using the sensors on the phone to get altitude and azimuth information, along with the GPS location. Works a treat.

Alan

That sounds good, cheers Alan :)

I found Starmap Pro the best app for my iPhone. Not out on Android yet though so I now use Star Chart, Google Sky and Mobile Observatory. Oh, and Polar Finder of course :(

another good one is called "planets"

thats got a 2d and a 3d map that moves in real time as you scan the sky

also has loads of useful info on the planets such as hours of visability, number and names of moons etc

worth a look and its free

stick

I use Star Walk, you can calibrate it in the app, tilt your phone towards the sky and tap the gyroscope icon.

I also use Solar Walk which is by the same people and shows the solar system, in a lot more detail, you can go to different planets and moons and see them in real time or go forward or back in time just like Star Walk.

i have the google sky map on my Android, great little tool

if you install "tapatalk" you will be able to access SGL on your phone better too

dont forget to callibrate the compass on your phone, if you do every few days you will get false reads from the app

^THIS^ I also downloaded a compass on a free app on my Droid.

I use Star Walk, you can calibrate it in the app, tilt your phone towards the sky and tap the gyroscope icon.

I also use Solar Walk which is by the same people and shows the solar system, in a lot more detail, you can go to different planets and moons and see them in real time or go forward or back in time just like Star Walk.

I use both of them too :) They are such great little apps to learn the night sky. I have also got an app called "pocket universe" and "skysafari" which some people may wanna check out, both are great alternatives.

Sky Safari Lite is only £1.79 and is exceptional for that price - a definite step up from Star Walk as a serious astronomy tool at the same price.

Tim.

Thats only the lite version costing me £1.79, I wonder whats in the ful version which is £8.99 :)

Also in the review of the full version, some people are talking about some"skywire" which they use to attach the iPad to the scope. Anyone knows whats that? How does that work and where to get one?

Posted a thread about it, have a look in here

Thats only the lite version costing me £1.79, I wonder whats in the ful version which is £8.99 :)

The full version actually costs £11.99 if you add the expansion pack, putting it at a similar price to Starmap Pro (which, incidentally, is also a great app with some really useable features).

However the full version of Sky Safari only adds about 15-20% to the functionality of the Lite version. In essence they're the same piece of software.

Tim.

The full version actually costs £11.99 if you add the expansion pack, putting it at a similar price to Starmap Pro (which, incidentally, is also a great app with some really useable features).

However the full version of Sky Safari only adds about 15-20% to the functionality of the Lite version. In essence they're the same piece of software.

Tim.

Thanks Tim. Just wondering if you can use this in the lite version.

Thanks Tim. Just wondering if you can use this in the lite version.

No you need the full app - but if you're buying the serial cable you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket anyway.

I've not come across anyone who has used Skywire (I'm strictly manual myself). Does look good though.

Tim

Archived