sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Celestron red LED finderscope alignment help please.

Hi,

Can someone who has done it give me some tips on aligning the findersope on my Celestron LCM 114 please? I'm finding the instructions they give less than easy to follow.

From the manual:

1. To turn on the StarPointer, turn the switch to the “on” position – see Figure 2-9

OK, that's simple.

2. Locate a bright star or planet and center it in a low power eyepiece in the main telescope.

OK, that's relatively easy to do.

3. With both eyes open, look through the glass window at the alignment star. If the StarPointer is perfectly aligned, you will see the red LED dot overlap the alignment star. If the StarPointer is not aligned, take notice of where the red dot is relative to the bright star. 4. Without moving the main telescope, turn the StarPointer’s two adjustment screws until the red dot is directly over the alignment star. Experiment as to which way each screw moves the red dot.

This is where I don't get what to do? The main problem I have is that if I look through the finder at at star and adjust the red dot so it's over the star I can simply move my head slightly so I'm looking through the finder from a different angle and the red dot is no longer over the star and so needs re-alignment. There doesn't seem to be a consistent point from which to look with both eyes through the finder? Am I supposed to be looking with both eyes but with one looking through the finder and one looking round it or something else?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi Jon

I had alignment issues also when I first got my scope and the kindly experts on here put me right.

Firstly, ensure that your finder scope and red dot finder are aligned. I did this in the day (twilight so I could see object and red dot was highlighted) and aligned using a mobile phone mast that was approx 3 miles away. The red dot should be on the object and the object right in the centre of your EP at the same time.

It is possible to move your head slightly and the red dot moves but with both eyes open and looking through the RDF at the object, the movement should be minimal and the red dot shouldn't move around greatly. If I move my head usually the red dot disappears all together due to the angle of view. I think this is a disadvantage of the RDF, which you don't get with other finder scopes.

Sorry I can't be any more help. Maybe it just takes practice.

I'm sure more learned advisers will be more help but that's my two-penneth.

Good luck.

Line your scope on a distant object during day time. now take the red dot to the point where the scope is looking. slap in a bigger magnification and do it again and the op is right about the trick about keeping both eyes open. For final alignment check on polaris at night it doesn't move much so consequently you should be able to zero your highest power eyepiece and the red dot and because it's fairly stationary you can take as long as you need. if you can get a barlow on your highest power eyepiece even better. but as long as it's aligned to your highest eyepiece. that's really all that's needed for pinpoint accuracy

Edited by rowan46

• 6 years later...

I was searching high and low for some definitive advice about using the RDF with two or one eye. I could not find anything so hope this helps.

The only issue with using one eye is you are totally focussed on the RDF and not the rest of the view. Using two eyes means that one can target the red dot and the other gets your bearings. You will notice if you keep both eyes open you can line it up with your left eye looking straight down the finder scope and centre the red dot, then you can shift your head so the right eye is looking straight down the finder scope and the red dot will be identically placed both times.

Therefore, no, there is no technical reason to use both eyes other than increasing your peripheral vision.

i hope I have this correct!

The two eyes thing does not work for me. It may be to do with which is your dominant eye. I use both eyes to get the dot roughly aligned on the star but do better when using only one eye to get closer. There should be relatively little paralax on a reflex site and remember that they are a handy way of getting close. They are not intended as precision finders. I'd say they get me to within a degree or so most of the time.

Olly

Both eyes open means having one eye looking through the finder scope, while the other eye is looking beyond the finder scope.

I use one eye myself.

Use Polaris as your star for dialing in your sighting. Center Polaris, then without moving your main telescope, carefully dial your finder scope to be aimed at Polaris as well.

The term is to have your two viewing devices in Parallel. Both viewing the exact same picture.

So figure it out with one eye first, it's easier.

Now when you have that the way you like it, add PHD2 and get all 3 adjusted. Fun!

Incidentally, I use a Tasco Red Dot site on mine. I find the '1' setting is nice and dim. And adjusting it is really easy.