Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK viewers: ISS crosses the Lunar Disk tonight (17th April)

lukebl

Hi all,

Hey, tonight the International Space Station will cross the face of the full moon for people across southern Wales and Central England, between about 21:23 and 21:24 BST.

Get imaging, anyone on the central line of the transit! Here's the path. I think you need to be within about 10 miles of the central line for you to see the transit. Check Calsky

post-16549-133877565613_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calsky says "Satellite in shadow and hence invisible"... what does this mean? (sorry, if it's a stupid question!)

are people on the path really going to see something?

You'll see it in silhouette when it crosses the moon . only takes a second or so to cross, though!

I still don't quite understand what Clasky means then :)

does this mean the solar panels won't reflect enough light in front of the almost full moon to be seen?

and only the shadow (pretty small?) of the ISS could be visible?

It'll look something like this. Small and fast whether in shadow or not. It's not the shadow if the ISS you'll be looking at, but the silhouette of it, solar panels and all.

I.ve got clear skies but I'm too far south. Gonna give it a go anyway. saw it pass over about 2 years ago, when one of the astronauts dropped his tool bag which then became an object to view. Only had bino's at the time so only saw iss.

cheers.

Adamski

will i need to look above or under the moon?

Adamski

It'll be in the earth's shadow, so you won't see it unless you're on the line where it transits the moon.

cool, too much cloud in Bristol to see it pass over the moon...funnily Stellarium says that anyone nr the SGL6 site at Lucksall would have seen it clip the top of the moon.

Archived