Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'meteor detection'.
Found 1 result
Hi everyone, over the seemingly endless summer nights I've been looking at projects to do that wouldn't be affected by the sun close to the northern horizon. In the past, I used to operate meteor scatter on amateur radio, and spurred on by the recent article in The Sky at Night, I thought I would put together a small meteor scatter reception setup. The system comprises a HB9CV (a very simple 2 element phased array) a few metres of RG58u and a RTL-SDR connected to the PC in the study. I rigged the antenna up in place of an old, now defunct, Sky satellite dish and pointed it south. It's mounted on the side of the house, approximately 4 metres above ground with a clear view to the horizon. This is ideal because the cable run is fairly short and no additional holes are required in the wall. Over the weekend, I played with a few software packages, looking for options, not just to view waterfall plots, but also to be able to log, analyse and tabulate the results. I wasn't expecting much as GRAVES is radiating to the South, meaning it would need a significant backscatter to be able to reach Scotland and the HB9CV has only 3-4dB forward gain. Nonetheless, I setup HDSDR and added the M4 screen capture and logging tool from Andy, M0CYP. Tuned to GRAVES, I was hearing a number of pings during the day and had a couple of big pings too. So I left it running overnight and I thought I would share some initial results from last night. The first two images are the same ping, wrapping around the waterfall plot. The second two are part of a 61 second burst starting at 10:51:48 UTC this morning. Lots of other small pings and bursts too. There's much more to do to optomise the setup, particularly on the software front. I played with a couple of other packages, notably "Echoes" trying to setup to log the echoes in a usable format to analyse duration and intensity, but it failed ot detect any pings. Switching back to HDSDR almost immediately detected backscatter. One thing I haven't figured out yet, is the correct settings display the monitored frequency correctly on the logging tool. The frequency scale at the bottom of the logged plots in the detection software is incorrect, while in the tool itself and HDSDR they appear correctly tuned, see attachment 5. Note HDSDR and the detection too are tuned to 143.050, but the logged pings are at 143.0525. Perhaps, I need to read the help file some more... Looking forward to next weekend and the Perseids now!