Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'brass'.
Found 1 result
Hello All, I found a "fix" for having a damaged worm drive that I thought I would share. Earlier this year I managed to snag the RA slow motion cable on my jacket and snap the end off the brass worm drive. After reading some helpful posts on Stargazers Lounge i removed both worm drive assemblies and switched the RA with the DEC as a short term fix. It is a bit of a pain in practice as its awkward to reach the DEC knob when viewing. Last week I decided to take the plunge and buy a GOTO kit. Just before ordering I realised that the side of the worm drive shaft that is needed for the motor gear is the broken side. After scouring the net, and talking with a few shops, the end result is that it will cost around £30-35 for a new worm drive shaft and approx 4 month wait for it to arrive from China!! It suddenly struck me yesterday that the worm drive turns the scope in both directions and there was a good chance it must be symmetrical. Good news, it is!. It took around 5 minutes to take apart and re-assemble with the worm drive shaft the opposite way around. Very straight forward. I now have some brass shaft on the correct side to mount the motor gears. I hadn't seen this fix suggested anywhere before, it was only after staring at lots of pictures it become an obvious thing to try. I hope this helps someone else out there. Callum