Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'barnards loop'.
Found 4 results
So I know Orion has been down now for a while, but I just wanted to share this one. For me, it was a literal labour of love. Orion took on a more personal meaning for me at the tale end of last year, much more than just a target in the night sky. I won't bore you all with details, other than it was all very Romeo and Juliet. Anyway, the one night we went for a drive the other side of Hereford (this was mid February), took a firepit, hot chocolate, jacket potatoes and some very warm coats! It was a blustery night, the intervalometer was acting up and Orion was still in Hereford's light dome kinda. But, still managed to get some images with the 18-55 kit lens on the trusty Nikon 5300 despite all of that. Had all but given up on the stacking and processing 2 months later but decided to run it thru Sequator as DSS wasn't working for me. Was 2am, I was dead tired from work and my good old thyroid in full on flare. Happened to yawn, rub my eyes and momentarily refocus them on the laptop screen...to realise I could just very faintly make out Barnard's Loop. Spent the next couple of days rerunning the stack thru Sequator with different parameters to finally produce the attached image. It's messy, it's noisy as hell, it's nowhere near technically correct, but for ME it's a very bittersweet image (two days later Romeo and Juliet parted ways) and a reminder of what happy is. Anyway, I just wanted to share it.
Finally managed to have a proper go at Orion Widefield last weekend. 45x240s (3hours) with Canon 6D and 50mm f2.8 at ISO800. No darks/bias/flats. Stacked in DSS and processed in PS. I am pretty happy with the result but now it got me thinking, how do I go from this to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Molecular_Cloud_Complex#/media/File:Orion_Head_to_Toe.jpg Is it a matter of longer acquisition, or is that CCD territory?
Top pic is my original process in December. 2nd pic is a reprocess I just did a moment ago. I've been refining my technique. The 1st was rather basic - align, stack, tweak, post. On the 2nd one was done a little differently, with colour separation done earlier on (H-alpha on bayer is never fun), improved gradient removal, and more aggressive star removal and bringing out the nebulosity harder. Caution: I know Picasa which I use to host these images re-compress the red channel rather badly so try not to look too hard at the jpeg artefacts. I'm also a little cautious if the low level stuff is real or just a side effect of my processing. From my notes at the time (December): The sky was kinda annoying tonight. It seemed quite clear of orange light pollution to the naked eye, but I couldn't see "deep" myself with for example not even the whole of the W of Cassiopeia was visible. H-alpha only data. Combination of: 14x2 minutes ISO1600 7x4 minutes ISO400 5x4 minutes ISO1600 Modified Canon 450D, Astronomik H-alpha filter, Zeiss 50mm f/2 makro.
The Orion constellation taken 14.01.16 using Canon 100D on Skywatcher Star Adventurer. A reworking of my original image using Gimp. Bringing out the detail and colours of the nebula has unfortunately also brightened the LP to the lower half of the image. You can clearly see M42 The Orion Nebula within "the sword", and there is The Flame Nebula and The Horsehead Nebula around the bottom left star of "the belt". You can also see an element of Barnard's Loop which is the red band that curves around the left hand side of the image.