Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'serial'.
Found 2 results
Hi everyone, I have owned a variety of Meade scopes in my life, including a 2120 LX6/Premiere, a 2080 LX3 and my current scope a 2080 LX6 Premiere. I did not know the actual year of manufacture for any of these scopes, as I bought them all second hand. There appears to be next to no information on the Interwebs correlating the Meade serial numbers with the year of manufacture. To remedy that, I'm gathering all the Meade 2080/2120 serial numbers I can find, along with the year of manufacture (if known) and tabulating them onto a webpage: http://deepskies.com/Meade_LX_Registry.aspx The goal is that if we gather enough examples of serial numbers and years, in the future people will be able to purchase a nice mint used LX-series scope and figure out what year theirs is from by checking this registry. It does appear (so far!) that Meade's serial numbers were sequential and that the serial number does indirectly relate to the year it was made. So, if you happen to have a Meade LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 or Premiere kicking around and you are interested in participating, shoot me a PM (or reply here) with your serial number and year of manufacture (if known). You can also include a picture of your scope if you like. I'm also gathering serial numbers for the later scopes: LX10, LX200 Classic, LX100 and LX50. I even have one LX80 on the registry! I've also put together a crude spotter's guide, as the early LX scopes (LX, LX2, LX3, LX5, LX6 & Premiere) don't actually have their model type inscribed anywhere on the scope! Thank you! Rick in Canada (eh!)
I can confirm that there are issues with connecting via serial to the Nexstar+ handset on the AVX mount with the latest firmware . I'm currently trying to guarantee the behaviour process I'm seeing but it's intermittent and that is annoying when trying to troubleshoot. I'm having problems in getting repeatability of the issues being seen, but this is the most consistent behaviour I'm getting. The behaviour I'm seeing is: With everything powered off, I connect up the cables between my SkyFi and the handset. I put the handset in the cradle so it doesn't move. I've previously modified the cradle to allow the serial cable free access to the handset port when connected. I power up the SkyFi, and I confirm I have connection to my wifi router. I power on the mount and awaken from hibernation, entering the date and time (without moving the handset from the cradle), and the mount sits at the standard prompt on the screen, and the mount has started tracking. Trying to connect via SkySafari 4 on my tablet, I get an error that I can make the wifi connection but not to the mount itself. Touching nothing else I gently tap the "2" button to get to the Stars menu, then I hit "back" and exit out of that submenu back to the main prompt. Attempting to connect again on the tablet, I immediately get the telescope connection and it appears stable for the rest of the session. It's not likely to cabling, as I've exchanged out all of the SkyFi to serial cabling, and I'm seeing computer serial port difficulties as well. If it were cabling it would not just start working each time at the same point when I've exited the submenu.It really does look as though the handset doesn't communicate on the handset serial port until submenus have been entered and exited from. As an aside, when the mount is pointing exactly at 90 degrees declination, it actually reports itself on the serial port as being at 0 degrees declination. Interesting way of avoiding the RA singularity at that point. My mount's firmware levels are current as of January 10th at least.