Jump to content




Laurin Dave

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by Laurin Dave

  1. Hi Adam..   I process the RGB and Lum separately then combine both using either the LRGB script in Pi or else in Photoshop by pasting the lum on the RGB setting blend mode to luminance, opacity to 20%..  increase saturation slightly in the RGB, Gaussian blur of 0.6 on the RGB then flatten .. repeat 5 times..  may not need to increase saturation in the later stages..



    • Thanks 1
  2. Here's my entry, processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop. STF stretches, then Starnett on each of S, H and O, into Photoshop to deal with Starnett artefacts, combined as SHO in Pixinsight, combined Starry Ha as Lum using Pixinsight LRGB, selective colour in Photoshop, a bit of star reduction,  Local Histogram Equalisation, sharpening, noise reduction, rotate and crop.




    • Like 5
  3. Hi Dave, I ran it though Pixinsight as follows: -  register, crop, RGB channel combine, Dynamic Background Extraction on both , Photometric colour calibration, ArcSinh stretch on RGB,  Histogram Stretch on RGB then colour boost in Photoshop using LabColour, HS on Lum and then LRGB combo...   came out looking like this...


    Galaxy and star colours look ok to me.  I'd suspect that its your colour calibration that's gone astray although as I'm not familiar with AstroArt I can't suggest how to fix it.   The light streaks are puzzling as the nearest star in the direction they are coming from is HD214667 which is mag 9, Eta Pegasus could be the culprit at mag 3 but it is a long way off.  I'd check that they are on all your subs and if not would suspect something closer to home.   Focus quality also looks a bit soft and different between filters with green best and blue,  I'd measure all your subs to see what's going on with focus.



    • Thanks 1
  4. Here's your new RGB with your Lum from last years mosaic..  (i found this years was too stretched to combine)



    If it were me I'd get the spacing sorted and keep the camera...   


    • Like 4
    • Thanks 1
  5. 1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

    Thanks for the heads up. I get very mixed results from Starnet and also find that either it or my PC cannot handle the images from the ASI2600 I'm now processing. These are around 140meg. Does anyone know what kind of processing demands StarXterminator makes? I would spend £45 on it in a heartbeat if I were sure it would run.

    I know it's quite a price but de-starring is so powerful when it works. I don't want to publish starless images, I want to de-star and re-star with smaller stars, which is dead easy in Ps. Put the starless image on the bottom, paste the linear original on the top, set the blend mode to lighten, and stretch the linear image till the stars appear at the level you like. This will improve star colour intensity by stretching them less, preserve their relative sizes as captured and let you keep them small. And it saves you the hassle of masking and star-reducing as well.


    Hi Olly

    I've tried it in Photoshop and it works on images from my ASI2600mc on my i7 machine, faster than Starnett in Pi...  as others have said  it does leaves very smooth patches where the star has been removed..   Were you aware that you can get a months free trial? 


  6. Started back in late April and finished off early last week, the Tulip Nebula in Cygnus, accompanied by what is believed to be the shock wave from micro-quasar Cygnus X-1 in HaLum_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB and SHO palettes.  10 hrs each Ha, Oiii and Sii and 3hrs each RGB, RGB and Ha captured with Esprit150/SX46 and Sii and Oiii captured with Esprit100/ASI1600mm.  Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, Ha and Oiii added using blend mode lighten and Ha used as a light lum layer again using Photoshop.  

    Thanks for looking 



    • Like 10
  7. Here's my second go.. this time with enhanced IFN. I did this using a masked curve. The mask for the IFN was created using Pixinsight's MLTransform (which isolated the large IFN structures) and Starnet (which removed the star residuals), the galaxies were protected using masks generated with PI's GAME script (which allows you to draw ovals).




    • Like 11
  8. Here's my first go...... processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.   Background extraction and neutralisation, Photometric colour calibration, HSVrepair, ArcSinh and Histogram stretches on RGB, Deconvolution and Histogram stretch on Lum, Histogram stretch on Ha -  all in PI,  LAB col and Soft light saturation increase in PS, Ha added to Red using Blend mode lighten in PS, Luminance layered on in 5 iterations in PS, Local Histogram equalisation in PI then LHE and non LHE images combined in PS to enhance (although not by very much) the IFN, MLT sharpening in Pi and a slight curve lift in PS ...... and a lot of toing and froing


     edited 18Aug  - improved detail on Holmberg



    • Like 9
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.