Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.



  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

1 Follower

About Rarius

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    Astronomy (obvously), naval history and wargames.
  • Location
  1. I just realised that I haven't described the procedure... Blow all loose dust off the mirror with compressed air, or blower brush. Pour a small amount of RR onto the mirror. I used 5ml for a 50mm semi-minor axis elliptical flat. Spread the RR around the surface. I used a clean finger, taking care not to actually touch the surface. The RR is a thick liquid so can be easily pulled around by surface tension alone. Cut a strip of clean paper (¼in by 1in) and apply it to the wet RR as show in the pictures. Leave to dry overnight. The instructions on the bottle say 4-12 hours depending on humidity and temperature, but overnight worked fine in an unheated office. When fully dry, use the paper tab to peal off the now dry RR film.I found that the RR removed all of the dirt/dust from the mirror, but did leave a bit of the greasy fingerprints. To remove these, I turned the film over and used the clean side (that had not been in contact with the mirror) and pressed it hard onto the fingerprint. Pealing this off, revealed that almost all of the grease was removed. A second application of clean dry film removed the rest of it. Notes: As it is a liquid, it does continue to flow after you leave it. It dribbled a little down the side of the mirror, so don't rest them on anything it might damage! I also think this tendency to flow might be a significant danger if used on mounted optics like eyepieces.Suffice to say, I will be doing my main mirror tonight!
  2. I have just removed the film from both test pieces. While it did not remove the grease from two fingerprints, it did remove all of the dust and grime. The mirror looks almost new. I have added a picture of the cleaned mirror to the album linked above.
  3. Here are the pictures... 2015-05-20 18.04.00 is the main mirror in the cell, showing the "baked on" dust. 2015-05-20 18.07.56 is the two test optics. One is the original flat mirror that was in the same environment as the main mirror. The other is a spare objective lens I have sitting around. 2015-05-20 18.12.22 is the test flat mirror covered in the Revirginizer 2015-05-20 18.14.12 is the bottle of Record Revirginizer.
  4. I forgot to take the pictures of the mirror last night, but I'll try to do so tonight. The main mirror was stored in a garage/workshop for about 7 years. The dirt is quite firmly fixed having gotten damp and dried several times. I've tried the washing techniques described above with only slight improvement. The Vinyl Revirginizer arrived today, so I'm going to try it out on a spare flat mirror I have laying about, and if that works I'll try it on the main mirror. If I remember I'll take photos throughout. Rarius
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.