Jump to content





  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


35 Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. While setting up my latest attempt to 'equatorialise' my Nexstar SLT 127 alt-az mount the other evening, I realised that the Moon was making a close approach to Aldebaran. Couldn't resist having a quick snap. My Heath Robinson wedge survived the evening and will hopefully produce some useable deep space images in due course... Canon EOS-M prime focus on Celestron 127 MAK.
  2. Being a townie, the opportunities for seeing Mercury are few and far between for me. So a short holiday in Cornwall, at Porth near Newquay, coinciding with an easterly elongation of Mercury had me praying for a clear evening and a low westerly horizon. Sunday 17th April provided both. Canon EOS-M with 18 - 55mm kit lens, 4s at f/4.5, ISO400, cropped from a view taken at 18mm focal length.
  3. The 98% gibbous moon was passing Jupiter during the night of 23rd / 24th Feb. This was taken with a Canon FD 70 - 210mm FD lens (set at 210mm) on a Canon EOS-M. Thanks for looking
  4. Hi Davide - good image! I too have a Celestron SLT127 and I'm constantly impressed by it. How did you go about making your homemade wedge for the AltAz mount?
  5. I think that's Alkaid near the comet, not Alioth? Well done capturing the ion tail!
  6. Yes, when I found out I could achieve infinity focus on the EOS-M with the FD lenses I kicked myself for selling most of my old Canon kit for a song a few years ago!
  7. Last month I picked up a 'for spares or repair' Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 lens from fleabay for £10. It was advertised as suffering from slight fungus, which proved to be minimal and some terrestrial test shots gave encouragingly sharp results. Then came the wait for a clear night, which finally occurred 8th - 9th November. I don't have an EQ mount of any kind, so had to put my EOS-M with my cheapo lens onto my Celestron 127SLT Alt-Az GoTo. I took sets of 10 exposures each of 30 seconds at ISO 200 and ISO 800, ran them through DSS and then used Photoshop to tweak levels and combine the 2 resultant stacked images. I'm quite pleased with the result, although I haven't quite got the field rotation error nailed down.
  8. The clouds parted and Jupiter did not twinkle this evening! Celestron 127SLT, SPC900 and 2.0X Barlow. Registax 5 and Photoshop/
  9. Image as above after more work with Registax 5.1 wavelets, rotation and then a little photoshop for colour balance and so on.
  10. Finally managed to stay awake for Jupiter to appear above next door's roof and beyond... Celestron NexStar 127 MAK, SPC900 and 2X Barlow
  11. Put together 3 avi's and posted result in a new thread - big improvement! Thanks for the advice, James!
  12. I joined up 3 avi's captured in succession and now with 1021 frames from 2100 in Registax it improves things - so now able to get a bigger image scale.
  13. Thanks for your suggestion, James. I missed the opportunity Saturday night and Sunday has started very unpromisingly . When I get some time I'm going to try using frames from 3 avi's taken in fairly quick succession on Thursday. I'll report back on how it goes.
  14. Celestron 127 SLT Mak with SPC900 and a X2 Barlow. Seeing variable between poor and average as well as thin high cloud drifting across reduced 1000 frames taken to about 220 used. Registax 6 and Photoshop to finish. Fingers crossed for a couple of nights with good seeing before Mars gets too small!
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.