Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    6
  • comments
    4
  • views
    114

Spider hub

Sign in to follow this  
markse68

113 views

The spider hub came together tonight- bit of a mare as it’s glued together with high strength retaining compound which gave me about a minute to assemble everything and try to align all the screw holes đŸ˜³- needless to say it was a right panic not helped by a friend deciding to strike up conversation at the critical moment. Wish I hadn’t rushed it as it’s not perfectly aligned and not much I can do about it now but it’ll do I think.

It’s getting a bit hefty though which is a worry- 200g already but that’s all the chunky bits bar the mirror itself. A lot of that is the central 10mm stainless shaft- might think about replacing that with aluminium or at least drilling a bore all the way through.

the adjuster screws need to be shortened a bit too

16F305B0-C28E-4552-B32C-1778DAAADD31.jpeg

C180D5DE-33C8-410A-A0E2-D3F3DFD54B22.jpeg

  • Like 2
Sign in to follow this  


2 Comments


Recommended Comments

Not happy with the weight of it all and the poor rushed assembly I pulled it apart (that retaining compound is really tough- took an hour in a 250degC oven to soften it up enough to crowbar it apart!)

I made new plates 4mm thick instead of 6, shortened the pillars and remade the locking piece in aluminium instead of brass- reducing the weight by almost a quarter

old spider hub.jpg

new spider hub.jpg

 

Much happier with the way it went together this time

I also lightened other parts and swapped the stainless screws for Ti for an overall weight saving of 62g- it feels much lighter now :)

 

Old holder.jpg

new holder.jpg

new assembly 2.jpg

 

I've also prepared the former for the mirror support tube- to be made form thin brass sheet

 

Mirror support tube former.jpg

Edited by markse68

Share this comment


Link to comment

Spider completed using some 0.5mm SS sheet- I could really do with some new tin snips as it was a [removed word] to cut. Bit rough but I think it’ll do.

Just the mirror support cowl to make now

97095212-A277-41DB-8B5D-63917C022845.jpeg

DBC06EE8-21BD-4811-836B-1D8E569D84F0.jpeg

455656C4-742F-48A5-A23C-D0F33DFAF736.jpeg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Ă—
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.