SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Lunar 100-200 list

Doc

I've spent the last few months designing a new Lunar 100-200. It's split in two here as the SGL server only allows files of 2MB at a time.

Everyone is free to use it, but please remember that not all these objects have been checked for mistakes

If for any reason these objects are unobservable, please let me know via Pm or in this thread. There are bound to be mistakes but eventually we should have a good list of extended objects to view.

The following files are in Excel.

Lunar 100-150

Lunar 150-200

Hope you enjoy this list and please let me know what you think.

I'll get Admin to make this a sticky.

100-150 old.xls

150-200 old.xls

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What was your criteria for selecting them? Have you got a balance of easy to hard ones? Are you going to write us a book on your list and can we get little badges for completing it ;-)!

I see you like your small craters and rimae, an initial look suggests that this is going to be a step up from the first list..... Number 38 for instance. Maybe you need to issue a health warning... Only attempt if you have a big scope and steady skies?,

Thanks for all the hard work that you've put into this!

PEterW

Edited by PeterW

There's a mixture of easy and hard. Most should be visible with a 8" scope but some will need a 16" scope. I've only added a couple close to the limb as these can be very hard to see. I've added a little photo of what ones meant to be viewing. A few of them can only be seen under certain lighting conditions as well.

And no sorry to dissappoint but no prizes if you finish it. It's only meant to be fun and for the observer to view a few of the harder objects to see.

There's a mixture of easy and hard. Most should be visible with a 8" scope but some will need a 16" scope. I've only added a couple close to the limb as these can be very hard to see. I've added a little photo of what ones meant to be viewing. A few of them can only be seen under certain lighting conditions as well.

And no sorry to dissappoint but no prizes if you finish it. It's only meant to be fun and for the observer to view a few of the harder objects to see.

So, not much of a chance of me finding them all with my 6 inch scope. However, I am sure to have fun trying.

Cheers

Tony

Yep - same problem here. My guess is that your webserver isn't setting the content type correctly. If I manually download the link I get a valid image, it just breaks in the browser.

James.

Yep - same problem here. My guess is that your webserver isn't setting the content type correctly. If I manually download the link I get a valid image, it just breaks in the browser.

James.

A bit beyond me all this. Works fine on my laptop :D

Interesting idea. I have just started out on the Lunar 100, initially to have something to aim for when galaxies are swamped by moonlight and no planets are easily spotted. I am now starting to get into it, and at the rate at which I am going through the list, a longer one will come in handy (though I may need a better scope to catch quite a number of them)

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Doc!

I'm going to have a go with my 133mm refractor. F/12 buys a lot of resolution! I have no problem with 6 moons of Saturn, Cassini and Encke gaps, and getting stuff down to mag 14 is no problem.

I'll let you know how I do. - I'll have to look up the original 100, too.

Dan

Thanks Doc!

I'm going to have a go with my 133mm refractor. F/12 buys a lot of resolution! I have no problem with 6 moons of Saturn, Cassini and Encke gaps, and getting stuff down to mag 14 is no problem.

I'll let you know how I do. - I'll have to look up the original 100, too.

Dan

I would have thought getting down to 13 would be a challenge. In mag 6 skies the limiting magnitude for a 6" is usually listed as 12.7. I recently pushed my C8 to spot a mag 13 galaxy (NGC 3605, only possible because it was quite compact, and I was at a dark location). Never got anything at 14 with my C8, but that is from the Netherlands, so the sky-conditions and LP are far from ideal.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi All

I have put together some pdf files and excel file, similar to what I have provided for the Lunar 100. This includes ID, Name, Size, Longitude, Latitude, best day to view, Rukl chart and LFA chart (please see other post for details) I have uploaded a copy of the plan I made these from to the 'User Contributed Plans' section of Astroplanner as well.

Enjoy!

Lunar 100-200 object list with notes.pdf

Lunar 100-200 object list.pdf

Lunar 100-200.xls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Very late to the party here. I've only just started doing the Lunar 100 and now see there's another 100 to complete, wow looks like I've my work cut out for me but really enjoying observing and imaging Luna when weather permits, now I've a set up that gets me outside and now can see early phases I've never been able to before. Clear skies