Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Konus 20x60 - Any good?

Bart

Why not go for the 20x80's. I havent had enough clear sky to test mine out thoroughly, but what Ive seen, they seem very good - and thats hand held & very shaky !! (Saving for a tripod) Also 20x60's give you a 3mm exit pupil dia whereas the 20x80's give you 4mm. Ideally you need between 4-5mm for the average eye to absorb sufficient light. The larger the lense the more light gathering ability.

Thanks lads,

I have a 15x70s that i am returning to FLO (mis collimation)and am wondering if the Revelations are any good. I dont want too small a FOV and wondered what is good progression from a pair of Olympus 10x50s, which to be fair, are a good pair and produce a lovely crisp image. I just want to get to those tough to get DSOs. Thanks again.

Bart

Luke,

Although I'm sure they're great, I definitely won't be getting anything that big, just something to help in between the 10x50s and my 6' Newt. Without incurring great cost. And i'd like the FOV not to drop too dramatically either. Maybe not possible.

Bart

I picked up a nice pair of the Russian Tento 20x60's from e.bay for silly money a few weeks ago. They definately need tripod mounting but my initial experiences with them have been good - very sharp, low levels of CA and they seem to "reach deep" with M81 and M82, M51 being no problem at all and actually showing some shape. M42 is pretty impressive too.

I've got to rig up a proper tripod mount for them - they don't have a tripod socket so I'm going to need another type of adaptor.

Their field of view is around 3.5 degrees I reckon.

I would not have paid big bucks for 20x60's as I'd go for larger aperture for preference but for an impulse, low cost buy, I'm happy.

Thank you all for comments, I think I'll hold off for the moment and consider the new bins a little longer. I'm sure you all recognise the thirst for deeper and deeper insight and discovery. Hard to resist though. I think the term is 'aperture fever'...

Bart

Archived