SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TS 65mm FPL-53 f/6.5 Quadruplet Astrograph R&P Focuser

While looking around n Telescope Services website I came across this very interesting Astrograh APO, Has a dual speed rack & pinion focuser. built in field flattener etc.

Possibilities ? :)

TS Blurb

" TS 65mm f/6.5 Quadruplet Astrograph - 65mm aperture / 420mm focal length

4 element APO telescope with perfect field correction for astro photography - 2" RP focuser - FPL53 glass

The TS Quadruplet Astrograph 65mm f/6.5 offers a highly corrected focal plane for astro photography and is therefore an interesting alternative e.g. to the Takahashi FS-60 or the Pentax 75 SDHF. It is fine crafted and optimal for mobile deep-sky imaging featuring a minimum mechanical length of 340 mm (with retracted dew cap). Image quality on- and off axis is perfect and the very low chromatic abberation allows a visual magnification range up to 150x.

TS APO 65 Q advantages:

-- fully corrected triplet lens group for colour-free imaging

-- integrated field flattener (4th lens) for a corrected fiels up to full-size sensors

-- optimized flattener position inside the tube for best effect

-- optimized baffles without vignetting

-- 2" dual speed focuser for high loads - no slipping, no shifting

-- 360° rotation possibilitiy for ideal framing

-- CNC tube rings and GP-style prism rail with foto thread

-- finder shoe (Vixen/Celesstron/Skywatcher compatible)

The 65mm Quadruplet's optical system - four lenses in two groups:

For this lens system FPL-53 glass is used for optimal colour correction. Stars are free of colour fringes and halos which may occur with camera-side corrector applications.

The fixed internal ED flattener causes an optimal image correction for sensor with a diagonal up to 44 mm. With a separate lens brought into the focuser, this can hardly be reached. This highly corrected system is additionally supported by a adequate baffling system "

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4639_TS-APO65Q---65mm-f-6-5-Quadruplet-Astrograph---D-44mm-Feld.html

Jiohn

I bought mine from Optcorp, and unfortunately I had issues with astigmatism with it, due to the rear flattener element being overtightened.

Opt were worse than useless over the issue, very arrogant in fact, but I eventually shamed them into giving me a full refund.

Ian King also had a TS one, and had the same problem, but this appears to be a rare issue as all the rest of the batch he got were fine, and TS are now testing all of them.

If you buy one through Ian, he is also doing his own tests before sending them out as he knows exactly what to look for.

The focuser is excellent, it had no problem at all coping with an SX OAG/Lodestar/SXFW/H18.....no flex, sag or anything at all.

I would have no hesitation recommending it.

I was going to get another, but have instead decided to go for the TS 80/480 with a 3 inch focuser, as I can then also use a FF/FR with it and have a very fast scope, whereas with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

Cheers

Rob

If you buy one through Ian, he is also doing his own tests before sending them out as he knows exactly what to look for.

That's good news, Rob.

with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

OTOH with a focal length of only 420mm, would you want to reduce it? At 300mm and below you're into the realms of affordable reasonably fast telephoto lenses designed for cameras ....

True enough Brian....the only reason I'd want to reduce it is to make it faster than it's native F6.5, but the FOV with an H18 was great...perfect for targets like the Rosette etc.

I bought mine from Optcorp, and unfortunately I had issues with astigmatism with it, due to the rear flattener element being overtightened.

Opt were worse than useless over the issue, very arrogant in fact, but I eventually shamed them into giving me a full refund.

Ian King also had a TS one, and had the same problem, but this appears to be a rare issue as all the rest of the batch he got were fine, and TS are now testing all of them.

The focuser is excellent, it had no problem at all coping with an SX OAG/Lodestar/SXFW/H18.....no flex, sag or anything at all.

I would have no hesitation recommending it.

I was going to get another, but have instead decided to go for the TS 80/480 with a 3 inch focuser, as I can then also use a FF/FR with it and have a very fast scope, whereas with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the re-cap Rob, I may re think back into buying one after all... I'd be using a 314L and a DSLR.

But not from Optcorp.. :)

Change of plan again, as I just found out that the 80/480 isn't available with the 3 inch focuser.....the one I heard about was just the prototype and the model on the market has a standard crayford, which I have no time for as in my experience they aren't up to handling heavy loads without slippage and sag, so I'm going back to my original plan of getting a TS65mm from Ian King.

Change of plan again, as I just found out that the 80/480 isn't available with the 3 inch focuser.....the one I heard about was just the prototype and the model on the market has a standard crayford, which I have no time for as in my experience they aren't up to handling heavy loads without slippage and sag, so I'm going back to my original plan of getting a TS65mm from Ian King.

Do you thing the HR16/314 chip will suit it? not that your buying it for this? :)

Do you thing the HR16/314 chip will suit it? not that your buying it for this? :)

Yes....you won't get the benefit of the full FOV as it's a small chip, but it'll work fine and the field will be flatter than a flat thing!

If you haven't already got it, download Ron Wodaski's CCDCalc and input the scope/chip combinaation and you'll see exactly what you can get.

Cheers

Rob

Did you ask TS about fitting a better focuser to the 80/480 .

I upgraded mine to a Baader Steeltrack 2" crayford. Much better load capacity than the standard focuser. Try searching the German forms for their opinion on the Baader.

John

No John. I looked at the Baader focuser but saw that it too is of the crayford design.

What load are you hanging off it?

Rob

I really just use mine for a little grab'n'go scope but Ithe Baader focuser handles an Ethos eyepiece even with a barlow without any problems when pointed at the zenith so it's pretty good for a crayford. However of course it's never going to be as good as proper R&P focuser.

I have a FT 3" R&P on my FLT98 and that really is perfection.

John

• 3 weeks later...
Rob never added this scope to his sig , I wonder if he's kept it?.. what with a TMB Lomo 80/480 an all ... :p

Well a TMB Lomo 80/480 would *definitely* be a step up from my Megrez - but unless I sell a kidney - a little out of my price bracket! :D

Hopefully someone has some experience with them!

They have a production problem, it seems. The rear element easily gets overtightened and this can be resolved by taking the back off and easing the retainer a little. I have this from a couple of suppliers and have seen two out of two astigmatic examples here. I have no experience of the adjustment and I would never, personally, buy a scope that I needed to mod from new. I also felt that there was a question mark over how well the blue would be controlled in a perfect example. I saw some signs of blue bloat but the evidence was cursory. In a nutshell I think this scope needs a bit of a rethink regarding the production run and then might be a goer.

I take a dim view of being used as a beta tester, I must say.

Olly

I've just heard another report about astigmatism in low temperatures with one......I didn't replace the one I had, and now I have the TMB Lomo 80/480 I reckon that's my short FL widefield refractor sorted for life :D

Cheers

Rob

I've just heard another report about astigmatism in low temperatures with one......I didn't replace the one I had, and now I have the TMB Lomo 80/480 I reckon that's my short FL widefield refractor sorted for life :p

Until you decided you wanted a FSQ :D

Excuse my ignorance. The concept of sticking a 3" focuser on a 3" apo sounds odd to me. Can a 3" objective illuminate a 3" image circle?

Can a 3" objective illuminate a 3" image circle?

Why not?

Take a 50mm camera lens stopped down to f/16. Its aperture is therefore just over 3mm. Nevertheless it manages to illuminate the whole area of the film gate / sensor - 36mm x 24mm ...

I'd love one if I won the lottery, but £3k plus for an 80mm scope.....I can't see an FSQ being £2k better somehow!

Hey, eighty five mm if you please!! At those prices I can't have you making off with five of my million dollar millimeters!!!!!!!

I think you will soon be putting the cat amongst the FSQ pigeons, Rob. Looking forward, as ever, to the results...

Olly

• 1 month later...

Archived