Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TS 65mm FPL-53 f/6.5 Quadruplet Astrograph R&P Focuser

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
While looking around n Telescope Services website I came across this very interesting Astrograh APO, Has a dual speed rack & pinion focuser. built in field flattener etc.

Possibilities ? :)

TS Blurb

" TS 65mm f/6.5 Quadruplet Astrograph - 65mm aperture / 420mm focal length

4 element APO telescope with perfect field correction for astro photography - 2" RP focuser - FPL53 glass

The TS Quadruplet Astrograph 65mm f/6.5 offers a highly corrected focal plane for astro photography and is therefore an interesting alternative e.g. to the Takahashi FS-60 or the Pentax 75 SDHF. It is fine crafted and optimal for mobile deep-sky imaging featuring a minimum mechanical length of 340 mm (with retracted dew cap). Image quality on- and off axis is perfect and the very low chromatic abberation allows a visual magnification range up to 150x.

TS APO 65 Q advantages:
-- fully corrected triplet lens group for colour-free imaging
-- integrated field flattener (4th lens) for a corrected fiels up to full-size sensors
-- optimized flattener position inside the tube for best effect
-- optimized baffles without vignetting
-- 2" dual speed focuser for high loads - no slipping, no shifting
-- 360° rotation possibilitiy for ideal framing
-- CNC tube rings and GP-style prism rail with foto thread
-- finder shoe (Vixen/Celesstron/Skywatcher compatible)

The 65mm Quadruplet's optical system - four lenses in two groups:

For this lens system FPL-53 glass is used for optimal colour correction. Stars are free of colour fringes and halos which may occur with camera-side corrector applications.
The fixed internal ED flattener causes an optimal image correction for sensor with a diagonal up to 44 mm. With a separate lens brought into the focuser, this can hardly be reached. This highly corrected system is additionally supported by a adequate baffling system "

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4639_TS-APO65Q---65mm-f-6-5-Quadruplet-Astrograph---D-44mm-Feld.html

Jiohn

Edited by johninderby, 02 March 2011 - 11:32 AM.

Coco

Coco

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,858 posts
H, do a search for Astrotech 65mm or astro-tech , there are a few people on here with them..

RobH has recently posted a possible iussue with one..

http://stargazerslou...stigmatism.html

Clear skies
Guy

BELT DRIVE NEQ6 | VX6 - 10PV | 314L MONO | EQMOD | SMALL OBS

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts
I bought mine from Optcorp, and unfortunately I had issues with astigmatism with it, due to the rear flattener element being overtightened.
Opt were worse than useless over the issue, very arrogant in fact, but I eventually shamed them into giving me a full refund.
Ian King also had a TS one, and had the same problem, but this appears to be a rare issue as all the rest of the batch he got were fine, and TS are now testing all of them.
If you buy one through Ian, he is also doing his own tests before sending them out as he knows exactly what to look for.
The focuser is excellent, it had no problem at all coping with an SX OAG/Lodestar/SXFW/H18.....no flex, sag or anything at all.
I would have no hesitation recommending it.
I was going to get another, but have instead decided to go for the TS 80/480 with a 3 inch focuser, as I can then also use a FF/FR with it and have a very fast scope, whereas with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

Cheers
Rob

brianb

brianb

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,840 posts

If you buy one through Ian, he is also doing his own tests before sending them out as he knows exactly what to look for.

That's good news, Rob.

with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

OTOH with a focal length of only 420mm, would you want to reduce it? At 300mm and below you're into the realms of affordable reasonably fast telephoto lenses designed for cameras ....

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts
True enough Brian....the only reason I'd want to reduce it is to make it faster than it's native F6.5, but the FOV with an H18 was great...perfect for targets like the Rosette etc.

Coco

Coco

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,858 posts

I bought mine from Optcorp, and unfortunately I had issues with astigmatism with it, due to the rear flattener element being overtightened.
Opt were worse than useless over the issue, very arrogant in fact, but I eventually shamed them into giving me a full refund.
Ian King also had a TS one, and had the same problem, but this appears to be a rare issue as all the rest of the batch he got were fine, and TS are now testing all of them.
The focuser is excellent, it had no problem at all coping with an SX OAG/Lodestar/SXFW/H18.....no flex, sag or anything at all.
I would have no hesitation recommending it.
I was going to get another, but have instead decided to go for the TS 80/480 with a 3 inch focuser, as I can then also use a FF/FR with it and have a very fast scope, whereas with the 65mm scope, any sort of reducer/flattener will have issues due to it already having a flattening element.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks for the re-cap Rob, I may re think back into buying one after all... I'd be using a 314L and a DSLR.

But not from Optcorp.. :)

Edited by Coco, 02 March 2011 - 01:10 PM.

Clear skies
Guy

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts
Change of plan again, as I just found out that the 80/480 isn't available with the 3 inch focuser.....the one I heard about was just the prototype and the model on the market has a standard crayford, which I have no time for as in my experience they aren't up to handling heavy loads without slippage and sag, so I'm going back to my original plan of getting a TS65mm from Ian King.

Coco

Coco

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,858 posts

Change of plan again, as I just found out that the 80/480 isn't available with the 3 inch focuser.....the one I heard about was just the prototype and the model on the market has a standard crayford, which I have no time for as in my experience they aren't up to handling heavy loads without slippage and sag, so I'm going back to my original plan of getting a TS65mm from Ian King.

Do you thing the HR16/314 chip will suit it? not that your buying it for this? :)

Clear skies
Guy

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts

Do you thing the HR16/314 chip will suit it? not that your buying it for this? :)

Yes....you won't get the benefit of the full FOV as it's a small chip, but it'll work fine and the field will be flatter than a flat thing!
If you haven't already got it, download Ron Wodaski's CCDCalc and input the scope/chip combinaation and you'll see exactly what you can get.

Cheers
Rob

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts

Did you ask TS about fitting a better focuser to the 80/480 .
I upgraded mine to a Baader Steeltrack 2" crayford. Much better load capacity than the standard focuser. Try searching the German forms for their opinion on the Baader.

John

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts
No John. I looked at the Baader focuser but saw that it too is of the crayford design.
What load are you hanging off it?

Rob

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts

No John. I looked at the Baader focuser but saw that it too is of the crayford design.
What load are you hanging off it?

Rob

I really just use mine for a little grab'n'go scope but Ithe Baader focuser handles an Ethos eyepiece even with a barlow without any problems when pointed at the zenith so it's pretty good for a crayford. However of course it's never going to be as good as proper R&P focuser.

I have a FT 3" R&P on my FLT98 and that really is perfection.

John

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,785 posts
I have just seen another bad TS65 quadruplet.
Olly

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and learn imaging, SE France.  TEC140 apo on Avalon Liner FR. 2xTakahashi FSQ106 tandem on Mesu mount 200.  TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Other mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; 2xAtik11000 full frame, SXVH36, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. This kit is co-owned owned with Tom O'Donoghue and Yves Van den Broek. Host 4 scope robotic shed. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

johnrt

johnrt

Dr. Peter Ulof

• Advanced Members
  • 1,563 posts
I was scratching my head over one of these for an eventual upgrade to my WO Megrez 72 & WO FF II combo for imaging with my Atik 314l.

Is it worth it? A big improvement in optic quality?

Edited by johnrt, 23 March 2011 - 03:45 PM.

http://www.cloudedout.squarespace.com

Spode’s Law - if things can be awkward, they are

Coco

Coco

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,858 posts
Rob never added this scope to his sig , I wonder if he's kept it?.. what with a TMB Lomo 80/480 an all ... :D

Clear skies
Guy

johnrt

johnrt

Dr. Peter Ulof

• Advanced Members
  • 1,563 posts

Rob never added this scope to his sig , I wonder if he's kept it?.. what with a TMB Lomo 80/480 an all ... :p

Well a TMB Lomo 80/480 would *definitely* be a step up from my Megrez - but unless I sell a kidney - a little out of my price bracket! :D

Hopefully someone has some experience with them!

http://www.cloudedout.squarespace.com

Spode’s Law - if things can be awkward, they are

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,785 posts
They have a production problem, it seems. The rear element easily gets overtightened and this can be resolved by taking the back off and easing the retainer a little. I have this from a couple of suppliers and have seen two out of two astigmatic examples here. I have no experience of the adjustment and I would never, personally, buy a scope that I needed to mod from new. I also felt that there was a question mark over how well the blue would be controlled in a perfect example. I saw some signs of blue bloat but the evidence was cursory. In a nutshell I think this scope needs a bit of a rethink regarding the production run and then might be a goer.
I take a dim view of being used as a beta tester, I must say.
Olly

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and learn imaging, SE France.  TEC140 apo on Avalon Liner FR. 2xTakahashi FSQ106 tandem on Mesu mount 200.  TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Other mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; 2xAtik11000 full frame, SXVH36, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. This kit is co-owned owned with Tom O'Donoghue and Yves Van den Broek. Host 4 scope robotic shed. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

RobH

RobH

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 6,995 posts
I've just heard another report about astigmatism in low temperatures with one......I didn't replace the one I had, and now I have the TMB Lomo 80/480 I reckon that's my short FL widefield refractor sorted for life :D

Cheers
Rob
  • goxy likes this

E621Keith

E621Keith

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,043 posts

I've just heard another report about astigmatism in low temperatures with one......I didn't replace the one I had, and now I have the TMB Lomo 80/480 I reckon that's my short FL widefield refractor sorted for life :p

Until you decided you wanted a FSQ :D

Excuse my ignorance. The concept of sticking a 3" focuser on a 3" apo sounds odd to me. Can a 3" objective illuminate a 3" image circle?
Keith

C9.25, SV80s, Borg 77EDII, SM60II BF10
GPDX+SS2K, GP2+dual axis, Skytee2, Borg 3106 SWII

brianb

brianb

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,840 posts

Can a 3" objective illuminate a 3" image circle?

Why not?

Take a 50mm camera lens stopped down to f/16. Its aperture is therefore just over 3mm. Nevertheless it manages to illuminate the whole area of the film gate / sensor - 36mm x 24mm ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users