Narrowband

HELP PLEASE! Star parties for a poor man

spaceboy

Hi All

I'm beginning to think that star parties are only for the rich. Where do you get winter weather tents & equipment from that doesn't cost the same as a 2nd hand car ????

The wife and I are in no way in to camping so a tent would only see the light of day or in this case the dark of night at star parties. This said a budget is almost none existent not that we have any idea what to look for.

I have been looking up at the skies for the last 6 years and never once attended a star party so I was hoping this year was going to be a change.

Any advice would be helpful but I doubt any one will have the good news I'm hoping to hear :glasses1:

SPACEBOY

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read some where on the forum and now can't find it.... that summer tents are advised against for obvious reasons. Summer tents are all I can find in my small budget. Is the electric hook up unlimited electric ?

Is your tent a winter tent CG?

Summer tents normally have a low head height rating (which is the amount of water it can withstand). The higher the HH the better waterproof the tent is.

You could try go outdoors. They have some good 4 season tents for about £100. But the tent will last u a life time if looked after well. So might look a tad high. But will pay for itself if you have to sleep on it when windy or raining outside!

Thanks Steve but even a ton is pushing the boat out. The problem is I only have one good sleeping bag. To add all the other keep me & the wife warm equipment after the tent purchase I would be looking at a total of £200-£250. I don't think much over £150 will be in the camping fund unless my EQ5 mount sells.

PLEASE IGNORE: Just realised the Millets offer is for the canopy only.

Outlook Montana 4 seems to get good reviews (see here: Outwell Montana 4 Tent Reviews and Details 1).

Millets have an online offer with big canopy for £60 (Millets Montana 4 Canopy).

I have never owned a tent but am seriously considering one of these for PSP2011 (sorry for the gratuitous plug!).

Hope this helps,

James.

We'll I'm on a budget too, but I've booked to go to the PSP in October. Two years ago I spent £59 on a one man bivi as I was into fishing and had visions of spending weekends away at the lake side.... that bivi is still in its case so October will be it's first true airing :glasses1: I have a single ring cooker I purchased from Asda for £10 (they seem to appear in April / May when the season starts, and a 6 pack of gas cost £10 from millets. I've asked for a lecky pitch so I can boil up water for my hot water bottle to keep me warm as I know it's going to be ruddy cold in October :) but if you shop around and are prepared to rough it for a few days it can be done on the cheap !

Thanks everyone.

I think PAXO's link looks the winner. I have reserved one and will pop down tomorrow to see if they can maybe do some sort of package deal. I hate being poor it's so humiliating. Dam TV eyepiece addiction has cleaned me out :glasses1:

Dose anyone know where the advice thread is for what camping stuff you need for cold weather? I did find it the other day but there has been so many threads since I can no longer find it.

EDIT: Finally found the post http://stargazerslounge.com/sgl-announcements-events/128455-sgl6-preview.html

Well over the past three years we have gradually acquired more and more camping stuff, your right though none of its cheap.

We tried various solutions but in the end bit the bullet and bought a large tent, standing room is essential, but the tent cost us £200, throw in serious sleeping bags (cant remenber what they cost but it was scary), black cat heater fkr about £40, single ring gas cooker (cheap as chips), camping table and chairs (pricey but cheap ones fell to bits too quick), camping beds (pricey again), power block with RCD and extension lead (legalised theft), carpet for the tent (latest acquisition), groundsheet for the tent, better tent pegs, battery powered lighting, camping cooking gear, camping utensiles knife, fork, spoons, plates, glasses etc, all in all the camping gear hasnt been cheap but last year it was worth every penny at SSP where we stayed snug, warm and dry despite awful weather.

Hi AB

We just can't warrant spending big money on camping stuff that will basically get used for maybe 6 days a year. The tent PAXO suggested looks to tick the boxes needed for a roof over my head and we have some old argos sleeping bags that we plan to double up over a quality one. Hot water bottles are sorted and I have a single burner stove from my fishing days. Other than this and a couple tins of beans that it. Certainly won't be no posh sofa in our tent, maybe if we are lucky a deck chair we can share :glasses1:

I'm sure it will work out but I doubt it will be in time for SGL6 so the plan was to just pop along and do an all nighter under the stars and come home.

Pps ....we finally got all the gear together last year for SSP so we thought we were well sorted for Star Parties this year, turns ot we wont be doing SSP, too late in the year, cant do the one in the peaks, too late in the year, we are away the week of the Isle of Wight one so all in all its now looking like we wont do a single star party this year with all the gear We have splashed

And people wonder why I am fed up of the hobby.

Have you got a mate with a tent who would let you use it for a few days? It would leave you with a much bigger budget if you didn't have to buy one straight away.

Also there's no rule that say's you have to use a sleeping bag, my wife and I used to take the duvet off our bed at home!!

I'm planning to go to Galloway later in the year so I need to make a start on getting some camping kit anyway. It's doubtful I can get it together in time for SGL6 but as it's only around 1 - 1.5 hrs drive I was planning on just getting a nights observing in and coming home. It will give me a chance to meet everyone and get to drool over some proper kit. I think getting a tent now will pay off in the long run as I'm hoping shops are starting to shift winter stock cheap ready for summer stuff. I have an offer by another SGL member to share their tent at SGL6 but as this will pretty much be my 1st time camping as well as my 1st star party the member would probably end up having to baby sit me as well as put a roof over my head :) It would be unfair for me to be a burden on anyone as it was me who blew the budget on an irresistible 20% discount at T/House. I just never thought serious astronomy could be so expensive. :p

UPDATE EDIT: Just got the tent sorted! Thanks for the heads up on that one PAXO. It was a shock to see how big a tent it was. With a good HH rating I'm sure this was the best choice and for the money couldn't go far wrong. Just got to sort a mattress, ground sheet and a sleeping bag for the wife.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELPFUL ADVICE :glasses1:

• 3 months later...

I was looking at this bundle from Millets:

Millets Eurohike Kent Tent

Less than £60 for tend mat and sleeping bag - seems like a bargain! (might be awful though - have no experience of this kit)

[uPDATE] - looked like too good an offer to miss so have ordered tent plus sleeping bag mat and single airbed for £64.41 including delivery.

Archived