SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 standard version and autoguiding

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if its a) possible and :( a not so good idea to autoguide with the stepping motors that come with the standard heq5? would I experience any difference to the pro or goto editions other than slewing speeds?

I have an off axis guider, one scope, a toucam and phd and wanted to know what else I would need to make this work. I'm guessing some sort of st4 converter - but which would be best?

Thanks!

Im not familiar with all types of mounts but I guess its doable. I think you may need to use EQMOD and ASCOM to guide though as the HEQ5 lacks an ST4 port (doesnt it?)

Im sure someone more knowledgable will tell me Im wrong :(

Ah right.

Im sorry, I just re-read your post, it looks like you are guiding with a toucam in which case you wouldn't use the ST4 port rather you would use EQMOD and ASCOM to send pulse commands to the mount via PHD. HTH

My standard black HEQ5 does not have a guide port on the mount !!

I am surprised that yours does if it is the std HEQ5.

I performed the modification to the handset (effectively adding an ST4 port)

I then used a GPUSB unit when i was guiding using a webcam.

Once i purchased a QHY5 guide camera i got rid of the GPUSB as it was no longer reqd.

HTH

Graham

The standard non-goto version of the HEQ5 mount does not have a ST4 port. You can modify the basic handset of the HEQ5 to add the port by following the instructions on this link EQ Style handset autoguider port. You will also need an autoguider interface such as this auto-guider to interface between the computer and mount or to use a Synguider.

Peter

The standard non-goto version of the HEQ5 mount does not have a ST4 port. You can modify the basic handset of the HEQ5 to add the port by following the instructions on this link EQ Style handset autoguider port. You will also need an autoguider interface such as this auto-guider to interface between the computer and mount or to use a Synguider.

Peter

Thanks for the links Peter and everyone, they are all really useful!

So where does EQMOD fit in to all this, is that also not an autoguider interface?

Thanks for the links Peter and everyone, they are all really useful!

So where does EQMOD fit in to all this, is that also not an autoguider interface?

The auto-guider plugs into a USB port on your laptop and the other side plugs into the ST4 port on the mount. A program such as PHD or Guidemaster then sends signals via the auto-guider to the mount to correct drift during imaging. The auto-guider uses optocouplers to electrically isolate the laptop from the mount eliminating possible electrical interference.

Peter

Archived