SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Photoshop astrophotography tutorials

Quatermass

From another thread on imaging thought it would be helpful to post any links we might all have on astrophotography on line tutorials that we have all found to be helpful.

So heres a few I have found to get the ball rolling..

http://sharmaastrone...age.com/PS1.pdf

Levels_and_Curves_for_Photoshop

Astro Imaging Tutorials Photoshop Processing Nebulosity DeepSky Stacker

Star Color Enhancement in PhotoShop CS

Loads more out there but hopefully we can all find some more good ones and share them with each other.. :)

PS>>>Can you all keep thanks and comments to a bare minimum and just post the links to any great tutorials you have found with a short intro for us all, I promise to tidy this thread up when I have time. Many thanks everyone for contributing. :grin: QM

• Like 11

Few more i managed to dig out:

PhotoShop Brightness Mask

PhotoShop Unsharp Mask for Galaxies

Reducing Star Bloat

Thanks for posting, now wheres that old data...:)

Its not a ps tut, but a nice vid/lecture for aquiring good data in the first place :)

IMAGE AQUISITION BEST PRACTICES - Richard A. Bennion

note.. may change browser window size

Best of luck

Glen

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

More of a mini tut of how I do animation in ps, its a bit crude but I thought id add it here..

!!First and for most backup data!!

Find the shots you wish to use, place them on the desktop (copy and paste) and rename and number them in sequence 1, 2, 3, etc

Number 1 being the start of the animation

1 open photoshop

2 drag and drop the first pic (#1) in ps

3 drag the second pic (#2) on-top of previous, change the opacity to 25-50%, after aligning with arrow keys press enter.

4 do the same to all the other pics, at this point you may want to recheck alignment. You should now have all the pics in the layers window. Reset all opacity levels on all layers to 100.

5 in layers tab click the "eye" radio button to hide all layers except the first pic (#1).

6 in ps, go to windows tab (up top) and open animation window.

7 first pic (#1) is now also in the new animation window at bottom.

8 at the bottom of that small pic you will see it says 0 sec you can/must change how long it will show in the animation, (0 sec will not show that pic) chose 0.2 sec or however long you would like the frame shown.

9 still in the animation window duplicate selected frame by clicking the radio button left of the bin at the bottom (same icon as duplicate layer).

10 in layers turn OFF eye for pic 1 then turn ON eye for pic 2.

11 in animation window duplicate selected frame again.

12 turn OFF eye for pic 2 turn ON eye for pic 3, duplicate that frame in animation window.

13 repeat steps until all pics are done.

14 press play and see if the animation works OK.

15 click on the first animation pane in the animation window.

16 go to file and save as web & devices.

17 in pop up change to gif. rename and save

18 enjoy ;)

Any hoo I hope it helps some.:p

Regards

Glen

Edit or just read this post

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-image-processing-help-techniques/71801-animated-gifs-how.html

:) :)

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

I only just noticed this thread... 5 months after it was started... What a superb idea...!

I've been trying to put a library of links together of my own (under favourites) but they're all getting lost in the morass of other astro links I find and store. I'll have a look through mine, see if there's any not mentioned here already and put them up as soon as I can...

I think that was the plan Digz, not so much a sticky but just get loads of em and Quatermass

(when he wakes up :D ) sorts it all in one post.. nice and tidy bookmark to keep :hello2:

The problem making it a sticky, is over time it'll (more than likely) end up being a list of broken links.:) and stuck.

All the best

Glen

Edited by Glen

• 2 months later...
I think that was the plan Digz, not so much a sticky but just get loads of em and Quatermass

(when he wakes up :) ) sorts it all in one post.. nice and tidy bookmark to keep :rolleyes:

The problem making it a sticky, is over time it'll (more than likely) end up being a list of broken links.;) and stuck.

All the best

Glen

LoL sorry guys I had to move house and do way to much painting and decorating but I am fully awake now are we going to make this a sticky or add it to another one? I was checking out Annas great photoshop vids as well. Tonight I will be mostly trying to capture the Andromeda Galaxy again wish me luck...