Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WARNING - Bendy EQ6 Altitude Bolts

Astro_Baby

I can only assume the bolts are like lollipop sticks so that they bend instead of stripping the thread. Am I right in saying the head is aluminum ? I can understand the advantages having seen the state of AB's but do you not risk stripping the thread if using stainless/HSS ??

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has really spooked me. I've an HEQ5, which supplier have folks used to replace the bolts? Is it simply HEQ5 altitude replacement bolts I should order. I do make sure I loosen one side before tightening the other but don't want to take a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always loosen one side before tightening the other, dont overload the mount or carnk the bolts when the mount has a lot of weight on it.

I polar align without the s ope on first t get close, then add the scope for fine tuning so the mount isnt stressed unduly.

Yes stainless bolts could strip the mount threads but the bendy bolts are more of a menace I think. I have only seen one EQ6 strip its threads but I have seen quite a few 'help' posts on bent bolts.

The mount castings might be aluminium but I suspect they are quite low grade.

Dont take this as a negative on Synta mounts, they are still great mounts dor the cash and with a little maintenance and TLC are reliable workhorses.

Most astro kit has its foibles, the bendy bolts are the HEq5 and Eq6s foible is all.

Am reading this with interest, as I hope to acquire one of these beasties shortly. Props to Astrobaby for your superlative write-ups on your website.

I reckon that something like a Timesert would be the best thing if the mount did strip it's threads...readily available and they provide a proper steel bearing surface for the threads rather than the native alloy.

I can only assume the bolts are like lollipop sticks so that they bend instead of stripping the thread. Am I right in saying the head is aluminum ? I can understand the advantages having seen the state of AB's but do you not risk stripping the thread if using stainless/HSS ??

That about sums it up, the bolts are chosen so they bend before the threads on the mount are damaged. At least that is what Synta tell us. Whichever bolts you use you need to be careful to loosen one before tightening another.

If you have bent a bolt the solution is to first remove the base of the mount so you can see the bolt (see Astro-Baby's picture in post 1) then gently unscrew the bolt until it won't come out any further. With a junior hacksaw saw off the length of bolt that protrudes from the mount, leaving 2-3mm. Use the same hacksaw to cut a groove (like a screwdriver slot) across the top of the sawn off bolt, then use a screwdriver to screw the bolt all the way in until it falls out. Then fit a replacemant.

If you are not confident please phone to discuss :icon_eek:

Interestingly, we used to routinely remove and replace bent bolts but we haven't seen one for at least 2-3 years.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks for the warning, A_B. I went straight to their site and ordered sets of both alt and az adjusters, and a new mount power cable while I was at it. I was sure to mention your recommendation to visit them, so they owe you a hug.

I've had two EQ5's, and HEQ5 and a HEQ5Pro and I've NEVER had an issue with the standard factory bolts... on either Alt or Az.

I have, however, replaced the Alt bolts with the astrodevelopements ones because they are much nicer to use.

Ant

What a horrendous sight! If ever I get an EQ6, I will replace those bolts.

Wise move - when I got my EQ6 I immediately replaced them with a set from Modern Astronomy and haven't had any problems so far touch wood. I would re-iterate A-B's advice on making the initial adjustments prior to fitting the scope & counterweights to minimise the stress on the bolts.

Are the EQ6 azimuth bolts just as soft as the altitude bolts?

The azimuth bolts don't bear any load like altitude ones do, they just butt up to the peg on the tripod head. I haven't seen the need to replace them.

:icon_eek::eek::D and I thought it was a problem on EQ5's. Is it not possible to just replace with a stainless steel hex bolt for a few quid rather than £24. Is there much call for these as I could look in to the cost of making a cheaper alternative?

Spaceboy – this is exactly what I have done about year ago. Went to B&Q, and bought 2 hex bolts for 80 pense each J Since then, no problem with bent bolts J

Same as Ant, with my HEQ5 and previous EQ6 - no problems at all.

Provided you look after your mount, you should not have to worry.

Incidentally, images of the new EQ7/8 show a different arrangement for alt/az adjustment...

Just swapped mine over and one is slightly bent.

I have found it difficult to adjust these when trying to drift align and whilst i admire the people who can work these without bending them i cant seem to fine adjust it without applying a bit of force (and that is having loosened the other one first). Would it help to grease the mount a bit?

The initial adjustment is done with no weights or scope and using the polar ret b.t.w.

I find it a bit harsh to imply people may be wasting their money buying the replacements..

5801f6d7-ae00-5218.jpg

The implication in the previous post was towards that in how it is phrased.

i am very cranky today though so i wouldnt pay too much attention to me!

But i do find the mount sticks when adjusting these and its a pain in the cold and dark. Then when the telescope and weights are added fine adjustment is very hard.

I went for the astrodevelopment replacements which have the ratchet handles, these make life much easier when the mount is up around 53 degrees as the back end of the adjusting bolts gets close to the polar scope.

The only thing I would consider that could improve the design is a ball bearing at the loaded end of the bolt, this would reduce some of the friction on the internal wedge. I've used moly grease on all of the bolt threads to ease the friction in the screw thread.

Neil - the pic you show looks very like the bolt that came off my HEQ5 which was always well cared for - within a few sessions I noticed the bolt getting stiff and when it was extracted it looked like yours - perhaps not quite so bad but bent none the less.

As I have said - for me it makes more sense to spend £20 than to have all the aggro trying to fix the probl;em afterwards. Remember folkis if it gets very badly bent you may be into having to remove the base of the mount which means almost certain destruction of the plastic side plates with the logo on. Imagine how the mount will look after that !!! And it could be worse you may need a helicoil fitted which if you lack the tools may cost £30 at least for an engineering shop to do plus all the aggro finding someone to do it, ferrying the mount around and you can bet with certainty the days the mount is away for repair will be the best viewing conditions ever.

I have spent a not entoirely enjoyable time having to gently needle file the bent bolt away, cant get a hacksaw in to get enough purchase and thats meant a needle file job. Its taken hours to do, my fingers look like they have been put in a food blender and all my Saturday has gone up in smoke (or more correctly iron filings). Dont know about others but my Saturdays are worth a lot more than £20 to me.

I just prefer to minimise the risk so will be fitting new bolts - its all very well saying stuff like 'if your careful it wont happen' well I am careful driving but I still wear a seat belt. I am careful about what I plug into the mains but I still want an RCD. Its the same with the mount. It could take a bash when being transported, your hands might be cold and you lack feeling, you could just be in a rush and forget to loosen the opposing bolt off. I'd rather spend £24 to protect against accidents than have the hassles after the event of trying to fix it. If I had an obs and the mount never had to move I might see it different but when your prtable and you KNOW you will be using those bolts a lot it just makes sense to me.

You just spent £700 - £1000 ona mount it seems barmy not to want to protect it (and yourself) for twenty quid. I can spend £20 in a flash - my mascara costs that easy - its the price of one decent lipppy so its really not a lot.

Yup, had that on my old EQ3 about 10 years ago, Synta havent changed a bit.

I bought some luvly plated coach bolts at the time to replace mine, there were none of the posh alternatives around then.

Philj

Archived