Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick lash-up wooden tripod.

Lux1

Having got fed up trying to track at high magnifications I have decided to mount my 130p heritage flexitube dob on a second-hand 1970's eq head. However some aluminium legs from a cheap tripod just seemed too wobbly for the whole thing. Quick trip to B and Q and £6 and an hour later a usable tripod.

Quickly coated the thing in varnish, but really need to sand the whole thing tidy, make a spreader tray and re-varnish.

I have kept the dob base, the scope refits in minutes, perfect for a grab and go. Looks weird I know but seems to work. I just need to motorise the thing in RA now. Seems to have 144 teeth and require 1 turn in ten minutes.

Pictures taken on a mobile phone hence poor quality!

post-20202-133877513422_thumb.jpg

post-20202-133877513428_thumb.jpg

I have just done the same thing today! Haven't varnished it yet. The head of my mount isn't too bad, below average. Took it to bits, greased cleaned tightened, and I remilled the dovetail to get a snug fit. But, the extruded ali legs were rubbish. Been meaning to rebuild for a long time. Mine has cost £35 so more xpensive, made from stair spindles (32x32x900) from Wicks, they are a hardwood of some type and even the right length. The difference is immense! I can climb on it. I still have to get some bolts the right length for the tray. The tray by the way is a non stick 30cm pizza dish form Asda... £1.80.

Tom

post-20758-133877513447_thumb.jpg

post-20758-133877513452_thumb.jpg

post-20758-133877513458_thumb.jpg

Very nice, puts mine quite to shame! Good idea for the tray, if you don't mind I will copy that idea!

I only used pine for my legs but they are still a vast improvement on the legs with the alt alz tripod.

Very nice, puts mine quite to shame! Good idea for the tray, if you don't mind I will copy that idea!

And I was admiring yours! Cheers.You've even rounded the tops, I just chamfered mine. Been meaning to do it for ages. Use the pizza dish, it has a variety of holes already arranged at 120 degrees. The three bits of wood under the tray don't quite meet in the middle but it's all suprisingly stiff. Need to get some cap heads from work to make the tray neater. Tom

I think wood is the answer, metal is springy, you dont see trees bouncing backwards and forwards in a gust, they just go back? I was thinking about motorising mine, but the cost of the motor (nearly £100) would be a good start saving for a motorised CG5 or EQ5 (£400 ish), so I think I'm gona save up. It'll probably get wooden legs and a pizza dish though! Tom

Just tested it. It's so foggy today I can only just make out my usual test target, a telegraph pole about 300yds away. It's so much more steady and I can focus properly without the image jumping everywhere. Why don't more people do this? Dramatic improvement.

Nice work guys. A wood tripod is the oldest, but the best option to reduce vibrations. Also give the leg spread some thought.. that helps alot.

But to be honest a nice quality wooden tripod for under £35!.. you cant go wrong there.

Rob

You could varnish or paint white (helps to see it in the dark!) with smoothrite paint. I'm going to paint the feet ends of mine in luminous yellow paint so I dont keep kicking the feet!!!

Just another idea to add!.. you may also wish to add some rubber ends as feet to protect the damp climbing up the wood?.

Rob

You could varnish or paint white (helps to see it in the dark!) with smoothrite paint. I'm going to paint the feet ends of mine in luminous yellow paint so I dont keep kicking the feet!!!

Just another idea to add!.. you may also wish to add some rubber ends as feet to protect the damp climbing up the wood?.

Rob

I'm thinking about the feet, but.. they must be cheap! Like the bright feet idea, I'm always kicking the legs. I really need something Oscar (the dog) can see as well as he seems to like to keep me company but doesn't get "dont bang the tripod"!

Maybe Lux1 and I should start a business!

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hi ...

Apologies for resurrecting this year-old thread, but how are you guys getting on with these tripods now ??

I'm particularly interested in Lux1's experience as I will be getting a Heritage 130p Flextube Dob very soon, and I'm already looking into ways of modding it :icon_scratch:

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hi ...

Apologies for resurrecting this year-old thread, but how are you guys getting on with these tripods now ??

I'm particularly interested in Lux1's experience as I will be getting a Heritage 130p Flextube Dob very soon, and I'm already looking into ways of modding it ;)

Cheers

3 years later ... it's stil in use and as good as new!

Tom

Archived