Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guider hardware dilemma

Hi,

I've got a HEQ5 and SW 80ED scope and have been taking up to 120 sec subs with it, however I am now thinking of guiding.

The two choices I see are the SW SynGuider and LVI SmartGuider 2 but I am unsure which one I should go for.

Any help and advice much appreciated

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you tihnk the SW is better than the smartguider 2?

Easier to use and set up, shows a realtime view of the star field and is cheaper. The only thing that lets it down is the display being on the back of the camera which makes it difficult to see when looking to the zenith.

No, I did say the 'original LVI SmartGuider' in my post

Oh yeah, sorry re-read your post.

Thanks for your help Steve

FWIW, I've got the Synguider and am very happy with it. Very easy to set up and use, and guiding exposure time can be manually adjusted if you disagree with the automatic setup. Makes Autoguiding simple.

Thanks, I'm temped by the SynGuider, but wondered if anyone here has used the smartguider 2

I have the Baader SG2, but I haven't used it yet.

I bought it for it's multi function capabilities, ie, Auto guiding, including a dedicated Autostar guide port, dslr control, and focusing.

The units MGA (Multi Guide Adapter) carries all the outputs for these functions. Three AA Batteries are required to power the focuser.

An Eyepiece is also suppled, which is parfocal to the guide camera sensor, so acquiring a guidestar in the eyepiece, then inserting the guide camera, ensures a quick guidestar lock. That's the theory, I have not tried it, but no reason to doubt it.

The manual is pretty basic, but seems easy to follow.

If you intend to use the DSLR and Focusing functions, then you need to order the cables to do so, they don't come as part of the kit.

Ron.

post-13213-133877513491_thumb.jpg

I have the LVI SmartGuider and for me its a nightmare focusing with the Parafocl lens (Im assuming the Synguider has a similar method for focusing) - by the same token people also swear by the LVI SmartGuider

As for me well Father Christmas got me a QHY5 so im going down that route

Regards

John B

I have the Baader SG2, but I haven't used it yet.

I bought it for it's multi function capabilities, ie, Auto guiding, including a dedicated Autostar guide port, dslr control, and focusing.

The units MGA (Multi Guide Adapter) carries all the outputs for these functions. Three AA Batteries are required to power the focuser.

An Eyepiece is also suppled, which is parfocal to the guide camera sensor, so acquiring a guidestar in the eyepiece, then inserting the guide camera, ensures a quick guidestar lock. That's the theory, I have not tried it, but no reason to doubt it.

The manual is pretty basic, but seems easy to follow.

If you intend to use the DSLR and Focusing functions, then you need to order the cables to do so, they don't come as part of the kit.

Ron.

Thanks for the oveview Ron.

I have the LVI SmartGuider and for me its a nightmare focusing with the Parafocl lens (Im assuming the Synguider has a similar method for focusing) - by the same token people also swear by the LVI SmartGuider

As for me well Father Christmas got me a QHY5 so im going down that route

Regards

John B

mmm, what does the QHY5 route entail?? Is it a better route than the synguider/smartguider 2??

The QHY5 (or any other camera route) entails needing to have a computer handy and attached to the setup. In my case, I use a QHY5v as a guidecam, connected to my laptop. The laptop is connected to the mount. This gives me full goto as well as gamepad control of the mount. I've not tried any of the standalone guiders.

The QHY5 (or any other camera route) entails needing to have a computer handy and attached to the setup. In my case, I use a QHY5v as a guidecam, connected to my laptop. The laptop is connected to the mount. This gives me full goto as well as gamepad control of the mount. I've not tried any of the standalone guiders.

I use a laptop at the moment anyway to control the Canon 450d so having a laptop outside is not a problem. If I use the Synscan in direct PC mode will I just need plug this into the laptop's serial port, and plug the 450d into the USB port. Is that it for connections if I go down the QHY5 route?

A few people on here seem to have recently bought and then sold a synguider in short order, and gone on to buy a QHY5 instead. Maybe have a word with one of them (search on "synguider" in the for sale and completed sections).

Yes I noticed this as well, which I guess is why I'm asking before I buy a SynGuider.

The 5v is USB, and I think all the QHY cams are... Others are using simple webcams, some unmodded (although I couldn't get mine to work that way). Any camera sensitive enough to pick up stars will work for this. You might be able to pick up a Meade DSI cheap on somewhere like ebay. I'm sure the CCD based cams like the DSI are more sensitive than the CMOS based QHY5's... but I've not had an issue so far.

I use a netbook and connect it to:

HEQ5 (via a USB EQDIR adapter)

QHY5 (USB)

Canon 450D (USB)

With CdC, PHD and APT software.

After I have set everything up, I retreat inside into the warm and can control everything (except focus - which I set up outside and lock in place) from 12m away using this USB extension cable.

Thanks for the info, do you plug the QHY5 into the ST4 port on the mount?

Ive gone the Synguider and then the QHY5 route. Main reason for getting the Synguider was to use it on my portable rig standalone with no pc, it excelled in that no problem, I was then after updating my observatory rig with a QHY5 using my netbook.

After using both set ups I realised that guiding with the QHY5 was not so much hassle in the field with the netbook as I thought therefore to simplify things I have decided to just use the QHY5 for both observatory and mobile rigs.

Thus Im selling my Synguider, this is no detriment to the Synguider they are excellent and easy to use and for anyone without laptop/netbook or doesnt want to use a pc in the field they are great.

Mines in the for sale section now at £175, excellent value if you ask me :-) Please excuse the deliberate and unashamed plug :-)

Philj

In a post a while back Steve and I agreed that using a diagonal in the guide train was not a good idea but since then I have had another think. I had a guest doing so and felt that his guidescope had less drawtube out than mine, making it maybe a bit stiffer.

The relevance here is just the visibility of the little screen when you are on the zenith. With my lousy neck I would not fancy all that grovelling.

Steve, any thoughts on this?

Olly

I can't comment on whether it's a good idea or not, but when I first started guiding, and didn't have the right extention tubes, I had to use a prism diagonal just to achieve focus. It worked and I didn't have any issues.

Archived