Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tutorial: Custom Stellarium landscapes

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

george7378

george7378

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 885 posts
After my first successful try today, I thought I'd write a little tutorial for creating landscapes. Here are some (hopefully) simple steps:

1. Take your images. All I did was take my compact camera and my tripod out to my desired location, and take a set of horizon shots (all the way round) and then import them to Autostitch to make a simple panorama (see below). I filled the ground in by copying and pasting, as you can see (the original panorama was not straight, so it left some black areas underneath). The Panorama must be a PNG, and I recommend sizing it down to about 2048 pixels in width. The following panorama has already been processed for Stellarium (see step 3) which is why the sky is missing. Once you have your panorama, move on to step 2.

Posted Image

2. Extend the canvas. This involves increasing the height of the image above and below the horizon, as shown in the illustration below. This is important because otherwise the horizon will be too 'thin' and it means that you have to zoom out too much for the scenery to be properly sized. You can see it as putting more floor between you and the horizon scenery, meaning that it appears further away from you. The actual horizon on Stellarium runs through the centre of the image, so you need to keep your image horizon in the middle of the picture when you are adding the extensions:

Posted Image

3. Delete the sky from the image. Stellarium looks for 'blank' locations in the image when it decides where the scenery ends and the sky begins, so you need to erase the actual sky from the photo. I used paint.net to select the sky in my panorama, and then pressed 'delete' to get rid of it, exposing the checkered canvas behind. You cannot just paint over it in MS Paint, you actually need to remove it from the canvas. To add extra effect, you can delete the pixels in subtle areas (between tree branches, through windows, etc...) to produce a realistic horizon.

4. Create your landscape folder. You need to add a new folder to the Program Files --- Stellarium --- landscapes directory (its name does not matter). Then, create a next file called 'landscape.ini' (you can copy and paste this from another landscape folder and erase its contents) and copy your panorama to the same folder.

5. Write your landscape file. This can be done by copying and editing the following text into your 'landscape.ini' file:

[landscape]
name = Enter your landscape name here
author = Enter your name here
description = Enter a description here
type = spherical
maptex = yourimagename.png
angle_rotatez = Enter angle

[location]
planet = Enter planet
latitude = +XXdXX'XX"
longitude = -XXdXX'XX"W
altitude = X

name: This is the name of your landscape as it will appear in the program.

author: Your name

description: A brief description of the landscape.

type: The style of image. Leave as spherical.

maptex: The filename of your panorama (in the same folder as the .ini file).

angle_rotatez: Experiment with this to get your compass points in the right location. It is a three figure bearing (i.e. - 010, 254, etc...)

planet: The name of the planet your landscape is on.

latitude/longitude: The location of your landscape on your planet. Does not need to be accurate - it is for reference purposes only. It will not affect what you see in the sky.

altitude: The altitude (M) of your spot. Once again, purely for reference.

Once you have made your panorama, adjusted the canvas size, created your folder, writted the landscape.ini file and put it with your panorama in your folder, you are ready to go.

End result:

Posted Image
  • Stevie406 likes this
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."

Sky-Watcher 250PX Dobsonian (254mm X 1200mm)
Canon 1100D

dlp

dlp

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 454 posts
That's excellent - thanks George, I'm going to do that tomorrow - most useful to factor in the garden trees/house etc.

David
SW 200P DS/HEQ5 Pro Syntrek/Moonlite
Nikon D90/D7000/modded 1000D
QHY5/ST80 guidescope
SPC900
Nikon 10x42SE bins
Started astro 17/10/2010
Astronomy from my back garden

Hypernova

Hypernova

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,732 posts
Thanks for posting that simple to follow tutorial :)

How would I go about making such a panorama for my garden? It is very enclosed and from where I observe the shed it less than two meters away, and also the house rises to above 30 degrees from my vantage point and I don't know if I could fit it in to a single frame heightwise. I suppose this where stitching comes in handy.

Edited by Hypernova, 19 December 2010 - 09:38 PM.
punctuation

Tom

Scopes: Orion Optics 10" F4.8 Dob project

Messier Objects seen 74/110

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts
That's great, will try and give that a try. Many thanks.

Huge motivational problems, just can't get excited about astronomy anymore. :(

george7378

george7378

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 885 posts
Thanks for the comments everyone - glad to be of help!

Hypernova - I have never done a panorama from an enclosed space, but I guess the trick would be to stitch the photos, yes. I don't know if Autostitch would do that automatically - it's worth a try. You will probably need more photos than if you were doing an open space too - rotating the camera changes the angle at which you look at the object, meaning that you would get all kinds of wonky image stitches.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."

Canon 1100D

MikeWilson

MikeWilson

Purple Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,628 posts

Thanks for posting that simple to follow tutorial :)

How would I go about making such a panorama for my garden? It is very enclosed and from where I observe the shed it less than two meters away, and also the house rises to above 30 degrees from my vantage point and I don't know if I could fit it in to a single frame heightwise. I suppose this where stitching comes in handy.

I was thinking about taking the frames in portrait (rather than landscape) and then sticking those together to make a 'fatter' panorama.
  • SnakeyJ likes this
Scopes: Orion ED80T CF & finder-guider on a HEQ5. Coronado PST.
Cameras: QHY5, Atik 314L+ & Canon 550D, MS Lifecam HD (modded). SX 2" filterwheel.
Blog: www.mikewilson.cc | Twitter: www.twitter.com/MikeWTweets
One half of 2020Astro - an irreverent 20 minute astronomy podcast

Nexus 6

Nexus 6

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,316 posts
Really handy, thanks for posting it George;)

Alan

Dave S

Dave S

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 737 posts
Useful tutorial.
Might have a go myself.

Dave...
Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan Matsukov
Bresser Skylux 70mm refractor
Baader Solar Filter
Celestron Neximage CCD
Baader Solar Continuum Filter
Pentax isTDS

Member of EAST MIDLANDS STARGAZERS
Member of Skymax 127's

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,000 posts
Excellent, thanks for posting this, when the snow is gone I will try and do a run for my garden.

Tim

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

Telescopes That Have Graced My Obsy: Sywatcher Esprit 150ED, Quattro 10" CF, C11 HD Edge+0.7 reducer, C9.25, MN190, Borg 77ED, WO 72Megrez, Vixen A80, PST, Orion 6" newt. GSO 8" F4 newt
Cameras That Have Graced The Telescopes: Atik 11000, Atik 460ex, Atik 460ex OSC, Atik 428ex, Atik 460ex, QHY8, 350D(mod), 400D, Lodestar, DSI Pro, PL130, Neximage
Filters used: Baader LRGB Ha Oiii Sii 1.25", LRGHa Oiii 2"
Mounts: GM1000, EQ6 Pro, Heq5 Pro

In the Midlands? Come and say Hello : www.RussellsGardenCentre.co.uk

george7378

george7378

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 885 posts
Thanks for the compliments - I am really looking forward to seeing everyone's efforts!

Canon 1100D

Glider

Glider

Sub Dwarf

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,539 posts
As you zoom in and out does the apparent height of objects on the horizon change. Or is the height of objects on the horizon only correct for one particular level of zoom.
--
Regards

Takahashi

Takahashi

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 940 posts
  • Location: West-Central Scotland... the really, really wet part.

I was thinking about taking the frames in portrait (rather than landscape) and then sticking those together to make a 'fatter' panorama.

Good idea Mike, it's exactly how I take any panorama... minimises parallax issues.
Posted Image

FLT-110 :: Moonlite CFL :: Megrez 72 :: NEQ6 Pro / 7D :: DMK21 / 70-200 f2.8 mkII L :: 100-400 L :: 17-55 f2.8

red dwalf

red dwalf

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,466 posts
try that myself, thanks for the tutorial, should have plenty of time as weather here been horriable for ages

SCOPE:- Celestron 8 SE XLT, William Optics GT81, ST 80 MOUNT:- NEQ 6 Pro Synscan, EQmod EYEPIECES:- 13 & 21mm Baader Hyperions, 32mm Skywatcher Panaview
CAMERA:- Canon 1100D, Atik 314L+ Mono, Astronomik LRGB filters + ZWO ASI 120mm
EXTRAS:- Solar filter, Antares FR1 0.5 & f/6.3 SCT focal reducers,

My Website :- www.robslack1.webspace.virginmedia.com

In Loving Memory of all those lost to cancer & all those who defeated the beast

Monkian

Monkian

Nebula

• New Members
  • 12 posts
Nice one, thanks for this. I've been using Stellarium a lot lately.

digitalight

digitalight

Nebula

• Members
  • 83 posts
Thanks for this guide. It works great! It is going to help in finding things in the night sky. Never thought of customizing Stellarium before I saw this guide.
Digitalight
Observation Setup: Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX | EP: Super 25 and 10mm, 5mm TMB Planetarium II
Imaging Setup: Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3 PRO GOTO | Philips SPC900NC (webcam) | Pentax K5 (DSLR)
Links: Photos

MalJ

MalJ

Nebula

• Members
  • 86 posts
I've been wondering how to do this - now I know!!

Many thanks.....

Fija

Fija

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 518 posts
I gave this a go and it looks great. Just wish I could sort out the horizon so it reflects real life. atm the stars are too high in the sky, Stars are way above the roofline in Stellarium but are not visable in real life. I guess I just need to keep adding black to the bottom of the image till I get it right. :)
Scopes: Meade ETX-90, Meade LS-6
CCD/SLR: Phillips SPC900NC, Canon EOS 350D, Olympus OM-1
EP's: Various Meade and GSO

Posted Image

mcrossley

mcrossley

Star Forming

• Members
  • 161 posts
I made one a few years ago - my garden has changed a bit since!
Capture_2.jpg

I also made a 'Simple' landscape for Stellarium that has a semi-transparent 'ground' for quick looks at when things are rising/setting.

You can also find a Hevelius Sky Cluture for Stellarium on that page - still a work in progress.
Capture_3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture_1.jpg

ZerOne01

ZerOne01

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the guide! I've been wondering though

Fija

Fija

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 518 posts
I have also found that the free Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) is very good at stiching and will take as many pictures as you can throw at it. They have a video over at Microsoft Research of a 200 picture panorama.

I am currently re-editing my landscape that I redone with this program. Thought I'd edit the 84.3 megapixel image before I resize this time as tree branches where a pain. My panorama is currently 20,000 x 4400 pixels. I'm gonna have loads of fun resizing it. Will post a screenie when done.
Scopes: Meade ETX-90, Meade LS-6
CCD/SLR: Phillips SPC900NC, Canon EOS 350D, Olympus OM-1
EP's: Various Meade and GSO

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users