SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker - manual alignment?

Is it possible to manually align the frames in DSS? I have an image that has insufficent stars for it to align on, so it just won't do it.

Selecting an object in 'Comet mode' doesn't help, as I still get the message: 'Only one frame (out of 15) will be stacked .... Do you want to continue'. How can I get it to stack all frames whether or not it can find any stars?

Isn't there a method of manually picking the stars? I'm sure there is?

You would have thought so. But I can't find it.

Basically I have a set of DSLR lights, flats and darks of Uranus & its moons, and there are only about 9 stars in the frames (including the Uranus system). The upshot is that I can't stack it in DSS as it tells me there aren't sufficient stars. I can stack it in Registax, but that only seems to accept one dark frame, and the final result is very noisy and with loads of bad pixels.

This may be a long shot but can you use comet stack ? Select a star and see what happens ?

Maybe not.

Dave.

Well I'm blowed it worked...I've just done a Ha stack that DSS wouldn't do before (not enough stars) so I've just done a comet stack on the bright star (Gamma Cass)..It was a pin ***** on the original subs.

post-16950-133877505006_thumb.jpg

There is an "Edit Stars" mode (the big red star icon). This lets you sometimes add a few more that it "thinks" might be stars, by clicking on them. You have to do this after registering the frames.

Usually if there are enough obvious stars (which there easily are in your image, martin) then setting the detection threshold low enough and/or turning off the median filter will get DSS to detect enough of them. Don't turn off the median filter if there are too many hot pixels, though.

Archived