Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deep Sky Stacker - manual alignment?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,867 posts
Is it possible to manually align the frames in DSS? I have an image that has insufficent stars for it to align on, so it just won't do it.

Selecting an object in 'Comet mode' doesn't help, as I still get the message: 'Only one frame (out of 15) will be stacked .... Do you want to continue'. How can I get it to stack all frames whether or not it can find any stars?

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK
SCOPES: 12" Meade SCT, 250PDS SW Newtonian, 200P
SW Newtonian, SW ST80 / NEQ-6 Pro, Coronado PST, TAL 100RS, Skymax 90
CAMS: Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, QHY5, IMG132e, DFK 21AU618.AS, Canon 700d

Trevor-Austin

Trevor-Austin

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 284 posts
SNap, I've tried changing the star detection threshold, which detects loads more stars but doesn't actually make it work :)

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,060 posts
Isn't there a method of manually picking the stars? I'm sure there is?

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

Telescopes: Sywatcher Esprit 150ED, C11 HD Edge+0.7 reducer
Cameras: Atik 11000, Atik 460ex, Atik 460ex OSC, Lodestar
Mount: GM1000

In the Midlands? Come and say Hello : www.RussellsGardenCentre.co.uk

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,867 posts

Isn't there a method of manually picking the stars? I'm sure there is?

You would have thought so. But I can't find it.

Basically I have a set of DSLR lights, flats and darks of Uranus & its moons, and there are only about 9 stars in the frames (including the Uranus system). The upshot is that I can't stack it in DSS as it tells me there aren't sufficient stars. I can stack it in Registax, but that only seems to accept one dark frame, and the final result is very noisy and with loads of bad pixels.

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK
SCOPES: 12" Meade SCT, 250PDS SW Newtonian, 200P
SW Newtonian, SW ST80 / NEQ-6 Pro, Coronado PST, TAL 100RS, Skymax 90
CAMS: Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, QHY5, IMG132e, DFK 21AU618.AS, Canon 700d

Bizibilder

Bizibilder

Super Giant

• Moderators
  • 14,156 posts
I seem to remember that one reference that I have (the one I can't find at the moment!) says that DSS won't stack less than 10 stars. If I find it I will confirm for you.

Roger

A few bits and pieces that live in a green shed in the garden.

http://bizibilder.blogspot.com For Pics of Observatory and other little gems!

martin_h

martin_h

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,276 posts
DSS needs 8 stars minimum....after looking at a few threads on the Yahoo groups there is no manual option....I've had the same problem, but I use Nebulosity2 for capture so can align manualy there.
Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar ZS71 ED. CCD: QHY9 mono., Filter Wheel: 2" True-Tech Supaslim Manual Filter Wheel+Baader LRGB CCD Filter set & Baader Ha,Oiii, Sii. Guiding: Skywatcher ST80 + QHY5. Mount: NEQ6 Pro Synscan + EQMod

http://www.wix.com/martin_h/shed_01
Grimsby- UK

davew

davew

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,584 posts
This may be a long shot but can you use comet stack ? Select a star and see what happens ?

Maybe not.

Dave.

martin_h

martin_h

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,276 posts

This may be a long shot but can you use comet stack ? Select a star and see what happens ?

Maybe not.

Dave.

Well I'm blowed it worked...I've just done a Ha stack that DSS wouldn't do before (not enough stars) so I've just done a comet stack on the bright star (Gamma Cass)..It was a pin ***** on the original subs.

Attached Thumbnails

• comet stack.jpg

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar ZS71 ED. CCD: QHY9 mono., Filter Wheel: 2" True-Tech Supaslim Manual Filter Wheel+Baader LRGB CCD Filter set & Baader Ha,Oiii, Sii. Guiding: Skywatcher ST80 + QHY5. Mount: NEQ6 Pro Synscan + EQMod

Grimsby- UK

davew

davew

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,584 posts
Chalk up another one to a wild guess :)

Now we know.

Dave.

Also try the other stacking method in comet. See if the stars improve.

Edited by davew, 25 November 2010 - 01:01 AM.

martin_h

martin_h

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,276 posts
I had to do it with "No Alignment" selected in the alignment settings because it kept on trying to count stars...I expect this will only work if there is no rotation between frames.

Grimsby- UK

Shibby

Shibby

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,775 posts
There is an "Edit Stars" mode (the big red star icon). This lets you sometimes add a few more that it "thinks" might be stars, by clicking on them. You have to do this after registering the frames.

Usually if there are enough obvious stars (which there easily are in your image, martin) then setting the detection threshold low enough and/or turning off the median filter will get DSS to detect enough of them. Don't turn off the median filter if there are too many hot pixels, though.
Lewis
SPC900 (unmodded) + Orion Mini Guidescope
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Download my Android app: Astro Panel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users