SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Name a star

Venus_is_my_friend

Hello all,

Not sure if this has been talked about elsewhere, but I was wondering if any among us have been given the gift of a star being named?

Or have you given this gift? Do you know anyone who has?

I am just wondering if you would actually get given a star that can be seen or some made up one on the other side of our galaxy. Also if you said yes to one of the above questions, have you ever found the star?

Neil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember buying one a while ago for a girl friend, apparently the star is real, as when you receive the ra/dec back you can find it (found it with mine) but im not sure if only you have that particular star. it does have from memory a classification name as well

The star is real, the name is real, and the connection between them is completely made-up, not officially recognised anywhere. You're paying for a nicely printed certificate that has no validity. If enough people do it then there must be stars that have lots of people's names notionally attached to them.

The star is real, the name is real, and the connection between them is completely made-up, not officially recognised anywhere. You're paying for a nicely printed certificate that has no validity. If enough people do it then there must be stars that have lots of people's names notionally attached to them.

I think that about nails it!

Olly

Just used my good friend Google and discovered you can buy land on the Moon, Venus and Mars.

Scandalous!!!!

Depends on the price per unit. :D;):(

I have a good line in luminous black paint, glows a wonderful black in the dark. ;):D:D

How many cans do you want? :)

While it may be all a nonsense, and a way to make money by doing nothing for some folk, a friend's wife said that she had a star named after her as a gift and was really happy about it, so it may be nonsense but it makes people happy, so isn't all bad.:)

I asked her to find the designation of it, and am going to photograph it for her if it's visible from the UK.

I'll send the image to my pal and he can get it framed and give it her and undoubtedly get many 'plus' points in the process!!!

Cheers

Rob

This always reminds me of the old joke about the chap at the seaside resort selling seagulls to to tourists. The punter pays a fiver then the seller hands out a printed certificate of ownership and points to a gull circling overhead and says "that ones yours" :)

We have thousands of Limpets here on the shores of the Severn Estuary - I'm going to start an "Adopt a Limpet" business. Pay just £5 into my Paypal account and I'll e.mail you a nice certificate to print out and a photo of YOUR new conical friend - the perfect Xmas gift for the one you want to impress ;)

Here's something to whet your appetite (from top to bottom, Bobby, Flora and Gary):

post-12764-133877504056_thumb.jpg

When one of my friends passed on after a car accident, as a gift to the family someone bought the star that she always looked at, it was right in the middle of the Southern Cross, not one of the main stars but a fainter one that was still visible, I do have a copy of the starmap somewhere.

As it was mentioned it can be a real nice thing to do for somebody.

You can buy degrees and diplomas, too.
For £9000 a year .... :)
it may be all a nonsense, and a way to make money by doing nothing
Now that really is a scam. I've already named all the stars, known and unknown, visible and invisible: I've called them all "Eric" to match my pet fish, cat, fruit bat, etc., etc. ;)

Am I the only one who gets spam, selling me diplomas and degrees, alongside products to enhance an organ I don't possess? ;):rolleyes:

Seems so :D:D:D

Not with standing the regular pleas I get from General Ombongo of Nigeria who wants me to help release $10,000,000 from an undisclosed bank account. :)

Oooops, he did ask me to to keep this transaction confidential. :p

Think I'll send him me mates details, he needs the money. :(

you can buy it all here :( land on the moon, 2 plots for the price of one ;) land on venus and on mars

not only have they got the option of buying a star you can do the valetine special of naming two stars near each other his'n'hers my god i nearly vomited :D

this should be against the law :)

Name a star | Moon Estates | Acre of the Moon | Unusual gifts from Buyagift

Archived