SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Removal of vignetting

My learning curve continues and after capturing some decent, by my standards, data on M31 I'm struggling to remove the vignetting. I only have GIMP2.6 at the moment is it possible to remove vignetting using GIMP, if so how in simple terms please.

If GIMP is not the package for this task can someone please recommend a freeware or trial/demo bit of software so I can get to grips with it.

TIA

Gary

The camera needs to be in the exact same orientation as when you were imaging with it. So if you've taken it out, they probably won't work and might make it worse.

I usually shoot them straight after an imaging session as I break the kit down each time.

For DSLR, switch it to Av mode, same ISO and take a pic. I usually then switch back to M mode and adjust the shutter speed to the same as the Av pic, otherwise the exposure time changes.

Take a few, maybe 10-20, they don't take long

Jordan

Nigel, I can't find such a tool in GIMP can you point me to it?
Filters->Distorts->Lens Distortion

The 'brighten' setting corrects for vignetting. However, you might not be able to de-couple this from the lens distortion settings (I did have some distortion to correct when I used it)

NigelM

Archived