Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Red & Blue twinkling stars?...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

johnmageee

johnmageee

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 1 posts
Hi SGL,

think you's are the right people to be asking this question to.

I've noticed over the past few years , as have of my friends, that there always seems to be as least 2 to 4 strange coloured stars in the sky. They twinkle red, blue and sometimes green with a quick pulsating appearance. They're not planes because they're stationary, and i don't think there satelites as they are in roughly the same place each nite and some are so bright that they would have to be massive satelites.

Any ideas?...

Edited by johnmageee, 11 October 2010 - 10:15 PM.

Chris H

Chris H

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, stars twinkle due to the affect of atmospheric turbulance as the star light passes through it. Stars which are bright and low in the sky such as Sirius appear to change colour quite dramatically and quickly due to the light passing through more atmosphere.

Edited by Chris H, 11 October 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Chris

Orion (USA) XT10i F4.7 Dobsonian
William Optics FLT98 CF F6.3 APO refractor
Vixen Porta II
Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm
Televue 17mm Ethos, Nagler 12T4, 8mm Ethos
Pentax 5mm XW
Televue 2x BIG Barlow
Opticron imagic 10x50

JamesM

JamesM

Sub Giant

• Moderators
  • 8,488 posts
Antares is another one. As a beginner when I first noticed this effect I was convinced that it was a police helicopter and then a UFO. When you see this effect it is quite striking but unfortunately like most things, it has a dull rational explanation.

Clear skies

james
I have no scope, I have no mount but that don't really matter.
Cos' I see the stars from the west country, when I'm sitting on my tractor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users