Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TeleVue Panoptic vs Baader Hyperion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Neon

Neon

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 299 posts
Both have about the same FOV, but what advantages would a Panoptic have over a Hyperion of the same focal length?

I own a Hyperion and I'm very impressed with its performance, but am tempted by a 24mm Panoptic I've seen second hand. Is it worth upgrading, or will the performance hike be fairly slight?

Mark
Binoculars: Nikon 8x40WA - Ross Embeeco 13x60
Telescope: Antares 80mm Semi Apo Z80II Clone
Eyepieces: 6mm Ortho - 20mm & 32mm TV Plossls - 5mm, 8mm & 24mm Baader Hyperions.

Andrew*

Andrew*

Member/NGC 467

• Global Mods
  • 7,463 posts
The biggest advantage of the panoptic only reveals itself when used in scopes with a focal ratio of less than say f/6.

The Hyperion will start to go soft at the edges, whereas the Panoptic will probably be sharp down to f/4 scopes. Even with slower scopes, you may find the TeleVue better optically.

The Panoptic is also smaller and lighter.

It's big disadvantage is of course the cost, but it's worth considering that TeleVue eyepieces keep their Second-hand value very well so if you decide to sell the Panoptic later, you won't lose much, if any...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew*, 24 September 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Andrew Phethean; Edinburgh, 56° N ; 3° W.
12" f/6 David Lukehurst, ED120, Skymax 180, TS 90mm triplet, Megrez 90 and Revelation ED80 fighting it out. The loser gets fed to the lions!
Removable 110mm PST solar mod for ED120
Too many eyepieces (binoviewers is my excuse...)
HEQ5, AE Giro mount and plenty of bits and pieces...

I observe, image, sketch, deep sky, solar system - you name it...

moocher

moocher

Banned User

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,727 posts
I`ve just gone down this route ie 24mm Hyperion for the 24mm Panoptic. When i recieve it and tested it i`ll let you know.....

Alan:D
The come back begins......Posted Image Going visual.......Posted Image

C8 22 years old and counting...!!!
Altair Astro 60mm apo triplet
Skywatcher 150 mak
Celestron 15x70 Binos
Vixen GPDX SS2K (now guiding!!)

Meade 24.5mm SWA
9mm Type 6 Nagler
13mm Type 6 Nagler
16mm Type 5 Nagler
7mm Burgess TMB
30 mm TMB Paragon

Desperatley want another ccd though!!!

73/110 Messiers imaged/ observed

QHY5
ART 285

8X10 Obsy

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,381 posts

The biggest advantage of the panoptic only reveals itself when used in scopes with a focal ratio of less than say f/6.

The Hyperion will start to go soft at the edges, whereas the Panoptic will probably be sharp down to f/4 scopes. Even with slower scopes, you may find the TeleVue better optically.

The Panoptic is also smaller and lighter.

It's big disadvantage is of course the cost, but it's worth considering that TeleVue eyepieces keep their Second-hand value very well so if you decide to sell the Panoptic later, you won't lose much, if any...

Andrew

I've just been testing Hyperions and Vixen LVW's and I'd tend to agree with Andrew's assessment above with regard to the Hyperions. Hyperions are nice eyepieces mind you IMHO and the Panoptic will not "blow it away" or any similar rhetoric :)

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

Neon

Neon

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 299 posts
Thanks for the responses chaps. I use my 24mm Hyperion a lot, but it tends to work mostly to help me find smaller targets or on DSO's.

So with regards to contrast and clarity there's not much to distinguish the two eyepieces appart, except for clarity at the edges? I shall have to have a good think about splashing the cash for the moment, or at least until I've read Moocher's review.

Thanks

Mark
Binoculars: Nikon 8x40WA - Ross Embeeco 13x60
Telescope: Antares 80mm Semi Apo Z80II Clone
Eyepieces: 6mm Ortho - 20mm & 32mm TV Plossls - 5mm, 8mm & 24mm Baader Hyperions.

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,551 posts
I find that I significntly prefer TeleVues. I can get spike free, pinpoint stars easily, with attractive colour and sharp to the edge. In all optical upgrades at this level you will pay a lot more for a small improvement. Alas a universal law in all things optical!
One way round that is to buy second hand, of course. I've just added another TV to the box that way.
Olly

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and learn imaging, SE France.  TEC140 apo on Avalon Liner FR. 2xTakahashi FSQ106 tandem on Mesu mount 200.  TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Other mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; 2xAtik11000 full frame, SXVH36, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. This kit is co-owned owned with Tom O'Donoghue and Yves Van den Broek. Host 4 scope robotic shed. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

Mr Spock

Mr Spock

Science Officer

• Moderators
  • 8,134 posts
At low f ratios the TV and the LVW will be sharp with the Hyperion getting a bit fuzzy round the edges.

Here's a good review of wide field eyepieces http://www.vixenopti.../lvw_review.pdf

Michael

C925, Helios 120, 80ED, NEQ6.

Nagler T4 22mm, 17mm. LVW 42mm, 13mm, 8mm.

NLV 12mm, 10mm, 9mm. Plus some others...

"On my planet "to rest" is to rest, to cease using energy. To me it is quite illogical to run up and down on green grass using energy instead of saving it..."

Macavity

Macavity

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,966 posts
I think it fair to say that neither the (longer) Hyperion 21mm nor the (simpler) 24mm completely emulated the LVW 22mm. But I will probably keep my Hype 24, since it is the lightest of it's ilk, and has all the customary THREAD features. For the terminally nerdy, with requisite Baader adapter, eyepiece projection with the Hype 24 yields almost the same image scale as the bare afocal method... :)

Still, I do want to TRY a Teleview (or two) before I shuffle off the mortal coil... ;)

Chris / Macavity

Skywatchers: ST102, MAK150. TS 8" / F4 Photo-Newt for Video Astronomy
Alexanders Obsy, HEQ5, Watec 120N+, Baader Hypes... None at moment! :p

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,381 posts

At low f ratios the TV and the LVW will be sharp with the Hyperion getting a bit fuzzy round the edges.

Here's a good review of wide field eyepieces http://www.vixenopti.../lvw_review.pdf

I can never quite figure out these group tests :)

They seem to give equal weight to objective factors such as eye relief and FoV as they do to more subjective ones such as optical performance and value for money. By adjusting the weighting a little almost any contender could become the "winner" ;)

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users