Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A lucky find! Celestron 26mm "NJ" Vintage plossls

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,113 posts
I've been very lucky to acquire not one, but a matched bino pair of vintage Celestron 26mm silvertop plossls with the very rare "NJ"barrel stamping.

I've always had a high regard for the vintage all silver Celestron plossls. They're made by Vixen Japan in the early 80's, and are possibly the finest plossls bar the televues.

It appears these "NJ" stamped eyepieces were a very costly prototype to the original Televue NJ smoothsides. The only items contracted to have the NJ stamp were made for Televue. It appears that the same optical house contracted by Televue let maybe 50 or so of these slip out before Al Nagler put a stop to them.

These were branded with the Celestron label, and afterwards the eyelens design was modified in favour of a less expensive design to mass produce.

I was happy enough when i found this out, then a friend in Canada offered me a 2nd matching eyepiece. I was amazed to find another. They are really beautiful, with the sharpest field stop, nice coatings, and a fov app 49 degrees.

I'm waiting to try them in the Denks.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0017_1.jpg
  • IMG_0018_1.jpg

Edited by mike bacanin, 23 September 2010 - 10:01 AM.

argonaut

argonaut

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 669 posts
Mike,

Stop showing off :)

Why can't I find eyepiece bargains?

Hope you had a short journey home ;)

Glen.

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 18,374 posts
I had both a Vixen-branded 36mm Plossl and a Celestron 26mm and both were very nice EPs. Not the NJ type, but still very good. You're a lucky man!!

Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)

EPs: Pentax XW 7mm and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, William Optics Zoom 7.5-22.5mm, William Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal, Orion Optics 2" 90° Amici prism Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter

Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer/flattener, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.

Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, RASC Finest NGCs: 93/110, Herschel: 306/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 12, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• 1,113 posts
Hi Michael,

Yes, the Circle V's are lovely eyepieces, the 30mm is a rare thing to find.

Hi Glen,

It was a nightmare!! 2 hours on the M60/62! :)
Thanks again,

Mike

F15Rules

F15Rules

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 920 posts
Lovely pair of EPs Mike, congratulations..you'll have to post a first light report when you can:-)

Dave

One big refractor, One small refractor

Baader Maxbright Binoviewer

Several pairs of eyepieces, Ultima, Tak LE, Tal

Russian Tento 20x60s, Aus Jena 10x50s, Bushnell Japan 7x50, Sirius Japan 8x40 binoculars

A tired pair of eyes

argonaut

argonaut

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 669 posts

Hi Michael,

Hi Glen,

Thanks again,

Mike

Not good to hear Mike. It's a problem with being just north of Manchester. One little accident and everything goes down the pan.

Could be some clear skies at the weekend for first light.

Glen.

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• 1,113 posts
No worries Glen, i just daydreamed about Jupiter in the Binos!!
btw, the zeiss 16-0 pair just arrived, lovely.

Hi Dave,
Thanks! will try test them asap. I'm wondering how these barlowed 2x would compare to the 12.5 Circle T ORTHO PAIR.

Regards
Mike

argonaut

argonaut

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 669 posts
Good news on the Zeiss Mike,very nice.

My 2" Baader Amici turned up this morning. blumming compression ring screw missing. How long would it take to flip open the box before dispatch?

This will go along with my little Baader 11/4" Prism.

Glen.

dweller25

dweller25

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • 2,825 posts
Hi Mike,

I also have that 26mm eyepiece - as a circle V and the 10mm too. Both are excellent.

Great find.
David :bino2:

Be true to your teeth and they will never be false to you.

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,372 posts

Hi Michael,

Hi Glen,

Thanks again,

Mike

A very nice pair Mike ;)

I used to have a 30mm from that range - it was a lovely EP and, naturally, one I wish I'd not sold :p

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• 1,113 posts
Hi John,
That 30mm would be quite a prized ep! I understand the 30mm were stamped made in Taiwan.
They have the largest fov of the silveretops, 50 degrees.

Regards
Mike

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,717 posts
I have the 50mm circle v one stamped japan that gives lovely wide field views through my C8
Michael
:iamwithstupid:

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• 1,113 posts
Hi Michael,

Again, another nice eyepiece you have! Alot of people who want to collect the set of silvertop plossls struggle to find the one you have.

Regards
Mike

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,717 posts
came with a set of eyepieces with my scope (meade swa 32 and 24.5mm). with the views i get i think they are all keepers
Michael
:iamwithstupid:

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 18,374 posts
Nice though it was, the Plossl 36mm was blown away by the TMB Paragon 40mm.

I am not unhappy to have sold it (made a colleague very happy).

Cheers

Michael

Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)

EPs: Pentax XW 7mm and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, William Optics Zoom 7.5-22.5mm, William Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal, Orion Optics 2" 90° Amici prism Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter

Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer/flattener, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.

Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, RASC Finest NGCs: 93/110, Herschel: 306/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 12, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Banned User

• 1,113 posts
I've located a Denk 2x multiplier in USA, these will then make a terrific 13mm binoview pair for Jupiter. :)

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users