Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Farringdon Road Telescope maker

thesatanbug

I was walking down Farringdon Road yesterday and am sure there was a telescope maker there at one time. Does anyone know what they were called or are they even still in business? I remember going there about ten years ago when I was thinking of buying a scope but they were all way above what I could afford at that time. The business looked like it had been going there for hundreds of years.

Just wondering if it was there, or is my memory playing tricks?

Yes, Saturdays there was like an astronomy club meeting, and some customers

there also !! The place has a great history of telescope manufacture, a pity in

a way when they relocated. But they have a business to run, and nostalgia doesn't

run a successful retail outlet.

Regards, Ed.

Fullerscopes was the telescope making part i think - run by Dudley Fuller (the Fuller of BCF).

I remember going to the shop in the '80s - it seemed like miles away from anywhere...

Widescreen is now the only telescope shop in London now afaik.

/callump

Broadhurst, Clarkson and Fuller used to make scopes for Sir Patrick Moore

and about 18 months ago referbished that scope after many many years

remember seeing a photo with Sir Parick and the owner of Broadhurst, Clarkson and Fuller at his home

Doug

Essex

I used to visit Telescope House when I was in London and had time between meetings. It was a haven for looking at astro gear and chatting about it. I met Dudley Fuller a couple of times and ordered one of the Fullerscope MKIII equatorial mounts from him. It took about 4 months to make (about 4 times the original estimate !) but was a really solid affair with 8" diameter precision engraved setting circles - they don't make them like that any more !.

I bumped into Pete Gallon at the South West Astro Fair in Sidmouth a few weeks ago - Pete was one of the guys who used to work at Telescope House when I used to pop in.

I believe the telescope making section was in the basement of Telescope House and included some unique tube drawing equipment. They had phased out the Fullerscopes refractors by the time I was visiting the shop - Vixen and Meade models having replaced them on the showroom floor.

Every visit to London meant a long walk down Farringdon Road to visit BC&F's shop. My wife endured my gloating as I strolled around looking at all the goodies in there. A 24 inch Meade SCT dominated centre stage. A massive beast I would drool over, and dream of becoming rich enough to buy it. Oh happy days.

Ron.

Every visit to London meant a long walk down Farringdon Road to visit BC&F's shop. My wife endured my gloating as I strolled around looking at all the goodies in there. A 24 inch Meade SCT dominated centre stage. A massive beast I would drool over, and dream of becoming rich enough to buy it. Oh happy days.

Ron.

I can recall seeing the 24" SCT Ron - it was a beast :). A bit later they had a 7" Meade apo refractor as their centerpiece - I thought it was just about the most wonderful scope in the world back then :o

I can recall seeing the 24" SCT Ron - it was a beast :). A bit later they had a 7" Meade apo refractor as their centerpiece - I thought it was just about the most wonderful scope in the world back then :o

HehHeh!, I still drool John, just thinking back to those visits.

Some how I don't think the new premises they occupy now, will have the same magical aura about it. I may visit one day, just to test that notion.

Ron.:D

Archived