Narrowband

SD card size for EOS 1000D

Any SD or SDHC will fit I use 4Gb cards and keep two with the camera. You lose everything whatever the size of the card if it all goes wrong!!

I've yet to fill a 4Gb card - I have had 600+ pictures on one - The manual says a 2Gb will hold around 500 "biggest" images.

Thanks for the reply. I was about to buy a couple of 8's but just wanted to make sure the camera wasnt limited to 4's or something.

Yes 16 is a heck of alot of data to lose if something goes wrong.

For the most part I think I will be transfering the images straight to the laptop via APT or something similar but want some cards for it anyway.

I always image in RAW+jpeg no matter what I'm shooting so I think a pair of 8's should keep me going for a while. Each shot costs me approx 11MB so I should be good for 700 shots per card.

Cheers :D

The key thing is to go for something with a fast write speed. I use Sandisk Extreme III cards - fast and (relatively) cheap if you shop around. You should be able to get an 8GB card for around £25 on the internet. Personally I have a 4GB card, with a 2GB card as a back up.

I use 8GB class 6 cards, and the only time I've ever used the back-up one, is when I've been silly and forgotten to transfer a few days-worth of photos to the PC. Also, I use the video feature on the 500D fairly regularly (1280 x 720, occasionally 1920x1080) but even with that I rarely fill the card(s). I agree with the advice given to Demonperformer though - having such a large capacity card as 16GB, it may be tempting to not transfer photos as regularly as I'd consider safe, and losing 4 or 8 GB of data is certainly preferable to 16GB, should one card decided to go "phut".

...that said, I don't use RAW unless I'm doing astro - big space-saving there, but at the cost of quality.

Archived