Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'TMB planetaries' and clones

What's the situation with the Burgess/TMB planetaries and assorted clones? They don't appear to be all identical - e.g. the TS ones are at least cosmetically different to the B/TMB ones - but presumably all produced in the same place? Same quality control? Or are some better than others?

I'm looking out for a 3.2mm as a high-powered eyepiece for my TV76 - anybody selling? :) - but after a bit of searching around i'm a bit confused by what's what. At least some (e.g. the 6mm) appear to be available in two types, does that apply to the whole range.

I've had the chance to compare the some of TMB branded ones, the HRs and the other clones, and they're all identical except for the style of the twist up barrel. Although I do get the feeling that some of the 6mm TMB branded ones being sold on eBay aren't quite as good as the clones.

Skys the Limit is closed until next month, but they've been selling them at £36.00 ea. I bought a few and got free shipping. Here's a link to one of their inactive listings.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160441809170&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

John

It is all rather confusing!

The TS ones are identical to the TMB ones I had. They are also identical to the original TMB ones reviewed on cloudy nights.

I haven't tried one, but as above, the 6mm type 2 eyepieces which are sold all over the internet at the mo seem to get very variable reviews. My suspicion is that they are from a poor batch which has been 'disposed of' through different vendors or perhaps just chosen to be produced in a more cost effective manner. Perhaps less QC?

It is a bit confusing.

I've seen 3 different types available

TMB/Burgess branded

EP-Planetary-set-8_34-s.jpg

Then these,

Planetary-Gallerie.jpg

Then there's these,

UWA-Planetary.jpg

From what I remember reading on various sites and from the men themselves(Bill Burgess and Tom Back), the factory producing them, started selling them themselves, hence why Burgess/TMB discontinued the line.

I've noticed that the skies the limit folks have some of these eyepieces in the 10 to 20mm range.The original Tom Back designed line only went from 2.5 to 9mm. So is that the factories own design?

Goodness knows. There were going to be Burgess/TMB designs over the 9mm size and were to be called the 'stellar' range and were to be produced elsewhere and look different. I think only the 20mm is available.

A lot of these ideas went 'up in the air', so to speak, with the sad and untimely death of Tom Back.

:icon_confused:Andy.

The version II planetaries(with black barrel), I think, were only in the 6mm, but there may have been a short run of 9mm ones. SCS Astro sold/sell the Burgess TMB stuff and I'm sure I remember them selling a 9mm version II. I guess they'd be the ones to ask regarding this.

Andy.

Thanks guys, that confirms what I suspected. Looking at the Burgess website the B/TMBs appear 'out of stock' apart from the 6mm type-II

Burgess Optical Availability and Pricing

so I guess they're now secondhand-only. Bernard at modernastronomy seems to be selling the TS ones at £49, or there's Sky's the Limit versions at £38

Thanks guys, that confirms what I suspected. Looking at the Burgess website the B/TMBs appear 'out of stock' apart from the 6mm type-II

Burgess Optical Availability and Pricing

so I guess they're now secondhand-only. Bernard at modernastronomy seems to be selling the TS ones at £49, or there's Sky's the Limit versions at £38

Modern Astronomy has shipped some of the TMB 6mm Type IIs recently instead of the TS 6mm ones. I don't know if that's still the case.

I tried the 15mm, 20mm and 25mm ones from Skys the Limit. The 15mm was very good, the 20mm was fairly good, but the 25mm had quite a bit of edge distortion and is best suited to a slower scope.

John

I have 7 - 3.2mm type IIs that I got shipped over from Astronomics in the States. Lovely things, the lot of them.

Astronomics' shipping costs were pretty extortionate but for the shorter focal lengths it's definitely worth the bother. I'm not sure what's comparable in the same price range. Not sure how they compare to the TS versions, but if you buy 5 there's no real price difference.

Edit: Looks like they've gone up since I got mine: http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/4SXTTARRLMWX8H3UA5Q5HNAN82/Page/1.

Some of mine were $40. I would disregard Burgess' website. If you look down the page it says they last updated it in January last year.

The Skiesthelimit ones are indeed the same as the others. It's literally only the style of the twist up barrel/eyecup that's different. I have done a side by side comparison of some of the Skiesthelimit ones and the TS planetaries and they are absolutely identical in performance. The TMB Type II 6mm was also very good but actually not quite as sharp.

Unfortunately Skiesthelimit is closed until September. Might be worth an email to check on when they're re-opening.

John

I've tried some of the original TMB / Burgess ones, the TS Planetary HR's (the ones with the blue decals) and an unbranded identical clone of the TMB / Burgess type. The originals and the TS Planetaries seemed to perform identically, ie: very well but the unbranded one (a 6mm) suffered from the off axis glare issue that the 1st run of TMB / Burgess units were afflicted with. I modified the lower optical group retaining ring by chamfering and blackening it which sorted the problem.

I've been slightly wary of the £36 6mm MKII version for some odd reason so I've not tried one of those.

Overall I feel it's a good high power eyepiece design that, when well executed, can deliver performance that is comparable with more expensive competition.

They do seem to vary. My original Burgess TMB's (2.5mm, 3.2mm, 7mm & 9mm) were superb. But the Burgess TMB 6mm Series II was not good (rattle, soft view & dust bunnies). Not tried one of the TS Planetary HR's, so can't comment on those. The clones from Skies the Limit have all been excellent.

I intend to add one more myself, the 6mm from Skies the Limit. To add to the Speers 7.5mm i picked up from CN yesterday.

I have the skies the limit 6mm.. quite frankly its one of the best eps in this size I've ever used. I had an original 9mm TMB (twice) and did not like it, way to soft. the the skies the limit one is on the money. Jupiter in the 200P DS was mind blowing on a poor seeing night also. GRS was outstanding. I call the skies the limit TMB's as mk2.. now I know theres already an official TMB mkII.. dont bother.

£36 .. its an absolute steal for that money.. everyone should have one.

Archived