SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS comet stack

OK, I've selected my lights [from canon 1000, which puts the time on each frame] , put them in chronological order, registered them and circled the moving object [ok, it's an asteroid, not a comet, but the program doesn't know that:D] in the first, last and reference frame (which is the one with the highest score, but I have 'forced' it to that one just to be doubly sure).

Now moving on to step 2 "Select the stacking mode". I have three light frames with a registered comet (as above), but I am not getting the comet tab in the stacking parameters dialogue:icon_scratch:, which rather effectively puts an end to my intention of doing a "comet stack".

I am obviously missing something incredibly obvious (:mad:) which is why I have gone into such detail of exactly what I have done, hoping that someone out there will be able to enlighten me.

Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to do this from memory as I haven't got my laptop with me so I may get it wrong ...

What opions do you have available under the "settings" tab at the bottom of the options list on the left hand side? 2nd tab usually has the comet stack option there...

I'm trying to do this from memory as I haven't got my laptop with me so I may get it wrong ...

What opions do you have available under the "settings" tab at the bottom of the options list on the left hand side? 2nd tab usually has the comet stack option there...

Thanks for your response.

Options

Settings ...
RAW/FITS DDP Settings ...
Load ...
Save ...

Recommended

I have tried clicking through each of these options, but can still find nothing about comets.

I just did a quick test... using normal daylight images as I don't have any astro to hand... click the comet button, click on the 'comet' location on frame one... click on the 'comet' location in the last frame (I'm using letters of text for my 'comet' randomly selected from the screen view... When I clicked to do something else I was asked if I wanted to save, so I answered yes and the Comet tab appeared in stacking.

• 4 years later...

I know this is 4 years after this thread was started, but I've jujst sussed how to solve this problem (It hasn't taken me four years by the way!).  Go to Register Settings > Advanced and increase the Star Detection Threshold and Voila! ,the comets tab will appear as if by magic!

Archived