Narrowband

Meade AR5 5" LXD55 Refractor - Any Good ?

Someone is selling these on E.Bay as new OTA's with rings, finder, dovetail plate, diagonal and a 26mm Plossl for £210 inc delivery - seems a good buy on the surface - anyone have experience of these ? - I'm looking for a "big" achro refractor that's not as heavy and clumbersome as the Synta 150mm f8.

John,

North Somerset

Gneiss - Thanks very much for your thoughts on the AR5 - thats very interesting an useful

I agree 100% with your comments on cleaning lenses - it's easy to get far too concerned over a few specks of dust and then mark the coating trying to get them off.

John,

North Somerset

Hi Gneiss (nice name by the way, I'm into geology),

The ED100 is very, very nice (as is the ED80 which I've also just got) but I'm not bothered by a little CA in return for some more apeture - I just don't have the funds for a 5 inch apo (there seems to be a huge price step for that extra inch) but I love the views that refractors give.

I'd like to try and ED100 "back to back" with a good 5 inch achro and see how they fare - I wonder if the better colour correction of the smaller scope will make up, at least to some extent, for the apeture difference - I have read that apos seem to "punch above their weight" because they bring the colours to focus closer to the same point but a reasonably well made 5 inch achro is still attractive.

Sounds like the Meade AR5 is a good deal, as achros go.

John,

North Somerset

Hi John here is my uptake on the AR5.

I love it for lunar and planetary views and images. (stunning in my book)

I also don't have a problem with the CA on this scope as i judge it for what it is.

The build quality on the AR5 is reasonable i would say.

The dew shield is a little short for my liking

The 2" focuser could do with an upgrade but i can live with it as it stands.

I have a habit of changing scopes from time to time but i will try to hang on

to the AR5 for as long as i can. (if you are going to Kielder you can have a good look over it if you please)

A keeper in my book.

I occasionally observe with a freind who has the same setup. Optically, the AR5 is good. The LXD55 mount is OK with that tube but is noisy (when slewing) and I wouldn't want to put anything heavier on it. (If you see an LXD75, they have improved bearing/gears).

Hi John,

I've used an AR5 side by side with a Skywatcher 120 f8.3 at our local club. Personally i think there was very little to choose. Both scopes were surprisingly good, I would have been happy with the views from either scope. Both were able to push quite high magnifications with little breakdown of image. And for achros both controlled CA quite well. Although at higher mags on Jupiter I personally thought the CA was becoming a problem and detracted from the view. They certainly worked well up round the 180x mark. The owner of the Meade said 400x was possible but based on that night, not a chance.

I can't give you a direct comparison with my ED100 as I didn't take it along that night. But i can say niether one gave a view as pleasing as the ED100, they didn't make me stand back and say WOW. The ED100 does everytime! Yes they were brighter but i'll sacrifice some brightness for the contrast/sharpness the ED100 gives.

Russ

Thanks so much for all this feedback folks - and thanks for taking to trouble to post a pic Jamie.

I'm glad Arthur pointed out that early ones are not collimatable - that's something to look out for - I'd prefer to be able to adjust the collimation if needed.

All in all plenty of food for thought.

Cheers,

John,

North Somerset

Archived