SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ha filter on DSLR

Does anybody use a Ha fiter on their dslr?

Would it be worth it?

I'm imaging the process may go something like stacking Ha subs, stacking rgb subs then combining.

Would this give better results?

I use a Baader MPCC which takes 2" filters on the end so would be a simple thing to add in to the imaging chain.

Questions questions!

John.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John,

As Peter says, ok on modded DSLRs. Non modded only allow about 10% ( ish ) of Ha info to get through. Even worse with S11. This info is found on modding sites that give before and after graphs.

I don't think inverse square laws apply so we're maybe looking at 30 minute exposures !! Someone may have more good info than this.

Nice thought.

Dave

Sorry I went to grab some ugly sleep i'll dig out some "mono" subs and post them...

Or i'll serach out the threads from last year and post the links... I had deleted the attachments as I had run out of space in the threads so I have found these two for starters...

It's the Baader 35nm 2" filter that I used on a BCF modified 1000D on the front of the FFFIII in the Mergez 72.. I probably still had the Hutech IDAS P2 on as well.. that tends to be left in place...

Here's the first... will have to dig out the exposure details...

Veil_6hrs_35nmHa_800.jpg

I know this is 25x900s ...

NGC7000-IC5070_25x900s.jpg

Peter...

• 1 month later...
Hi John,

As Peter says, ok on modded DSLRs. Non modded only allow about 10% ( ish ) of Ha info to get through. Even worse with S11. This info is found on modding sites that give before and after graphs.

I don't think inverse square laws apply so we're maybe looking at 30 minute exposures !! Someone may have more good info than this.

Nice thought.

Dave

Sorry if this is OT or if I have misunderstood but don't the unmodded Canons allow around 25% Ha through their filter? I read it here.

I invested in a Ha clip filter for modded my 1000d - I have never tried to use it on an unmodded camera but would speculate that it blocks so much light you would get virtually nothing.

The bayer matrix on a dslr is RGGB so only 25% of the pixels are collecting data when using a Ha filter even with modded cam.

Not had much time to use this filter yet but I did manage to collect 8 10min subs the other night.

4804529106_18faa5614e_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I have used a 2" 30nm one on my modded cameras...

Peter...

Hi Peter,

I'm impressed with the results you get with a relatively wide (30nm) spectrum. What's your thoughts on the 12nm Ha filter?

Any advantages, apart from cost?

Thanks Peter,

I think I'll go for the 12nm......... unless I can win POW with S @ N ........mmmm

There's a new company providing the prizes these days... although I did Call in to TP to collect mine in person...

I did use the 30nm on fairly moon washed nights and it produced reasonable results the 12nm should be quite a bit better...

Peter...

• 3 years later...

I can't see that modding will have much effect on O111 or S11. O111 has certainly been done with DSLRs but the imagers describe it as agonizingly slow. (I find this odd because there are two green pixels per cluster of four and really the blue ought to pick up a bit as well. Can anyone explain this?)

Olly

I found SII was very difficult still even with my modded 450D and 2" SII filter, however Ha was vastly improved over an umodded camera as one would expect, especially as there are plenty of targets out there with strong Ha emissions.

• 1 month later...

Archived