SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RSEQ1 - Wide Field Imaging setup

jgs001

Here's the finished article...

PICT0642.jpg

I managed to add a 20mm finder with a wrap around stick on 2 hole mounting plate as a polar scope. Without a proper PA I was able to get 90 seconds, hopefully this will allow to me to at least double the exposure time...

The drive does indeed work... that's how I got 90seconds without a polar align, just a plonk in roughly the right direction. I reckon 180seconds ought to be doable with a proper polar align, although, ok a finder bolted on isn't going to be perfect, but a lot better than guessing around the edge of the mount.

I managed a test with a PA, and I'm able to get between 2 and 3 minutes... although I was somewhat hampered by my ballhead not being locked completely tightly, and then it slipped, knocking the finder off, and probably upsetting other bits before I got the capture done...

This is a single 2 minute sub. I could have grabbed more, but it was late, I was tired, and rather fed up about the bits of finder scattered over the grass.

IMG_4438.jpg

However, I seem to have captured some red Ha data with my non modded camera with it :D...

Aye, that it is Peter... It was my own fault.. to get the aligntment I wanted I didn't rotate the base of the head far enough, so the lock didn't turn round far enough as it hit the mounting plate :D

Anyway, I have some sturdier fixing stuff now, so once cleaned off, and refixed I'll give it another try.

Mmm!. Seems like this Widefield Imaging is becoming infectious.

A good thing though, the Images re cement just how vast and populace the Universe is, and we can look forward to seeing many more of that.

And what's more, others will realise that they have the means to do it lying about in their stockpiles. Deep Sky is gonna get some rivalry :D.

Ron.:D

Ron, I think the costs are so much lower, the tolerances so much less, you can get away with so much more easily. This entire setup (excluding camera) cost less than £100 (that includes the tripod legs). And you don't have to find someway of fitting 40Kg of mount, kit, cameras, scopes, and the periphery kit of power supplies, computer etc in the car when going on holiday (my wife would kill me if I even tried) :D... which is my intention for this.

If I'm going to do any widefield like this here at home, I'll piggy back the camera on top of the HEQ5 and go all up guiding, unless my back hurts or I can't be bothered to cart it all out.

Aha... gotcha... the cost is a bit different though... as I would imaging is the weight of the ballhead... I think this one was about £14

I Picked it up on ebay for £35 a while back... which is about half price... It weighs 680g.

It used to be part of my macro setup so I wanted something I copuld trust with the D200, the heavy 180mm f3.5 APO and flash setup on top of it I normally had it between the tripod and the macro rails ...

Peter...

I suppose you can use the LiveView x10 (with grid) of the camera and Polaris. Adjust altitude/azimuth until Polaris stays fixed when you swing 180 degrees in RA. Then adjust finder screws to put Polaris in the crosshairs. Then offset towards Kochab using finder (can you mark its reticule with a 0.6 degree circle?)

loads of room there.. I would araldite a bit of plate to it to make a area big enough for the finder foot... or Just to try it use some strong double sided tape... I can send you a piece of mega strong stuff designed to stick to ally...

Peter...

Ron, I think the costs are so much lower, the tolerances so much less, you can get away with so much more easily. This entire setup (excluding camera) cost less than £100 (that includes the tripod legs). And you don't have to find someway of fitting 40Kg of mount, kit, cameras, scopes, and the periphery kit of power supplies, computer etc in the car when going on holiday (my wife would kill me if I even tried) :D... which is my intention for this.

Too true John. I had lots of pleasure out of the home made Barn Door mount years ago. They did the job well until the tangential errors crept in, but some great images were produce with my old Fujica.

No stacking took place in those days, so what you got after 3 minutes was your lot for one image.

The regular slide shows on Astro Meeting nights turned up some real nice widefield stuff. Pretty tame by todays standards, but thoroughly rewarding just the same. Like a lot of other phases in the past, I would happily re live them.

Ron.

If you are trying to fix the finder to the polar axis casting why not try a couple of jubilee clips? I reckon there is room for one on either side of the bit of casting that heads down toward the altitude adjustment (you'll know what I mean when you look!!). At least you can fix something with these that is secure and adjustable if required?

Nice idea Bizi... there's a few options, just need to work out the best option... I think Peter's sticky stuff is probably the best option.

I bet you got some crackers Ron... sometimes simple is best. Why not make another barndoor mount ?

Archived