SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wetherview DIY obsy build begins

pritc

What scope are you going to use in there? The walls look to be rather high...

From what I know, with a newtonian you either need rather low walls or a ladder to get to the eyepiece...

I have a SW200P newtonian.

Walls are 68 inches high from the T&G floor.

I spent weeks and weeks mocking up my scope before my build to check height verses viewing.

Viewing will be from around 22 degrees from horizon.

I am 6ft 4in tall, so the height of the eyepiece has never been a problem on my newt.but I have purchased a little step for zenith viewing,just in case. :D

Wayne

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All, :D

I managed to get a few more things done this week. :D

Copied Bizibilder's build for his roll off roof supports :)

Photo 1 : LH side ROR support up.I used 47mm x 75mm for the horizontal beams and 75mm x 75mm for the uprights

Photo 2 : Main structure complete.Added 45degree bracing and some horizontal bracing. (as per Bizibilders :))

Also added some metal angle brackets and metal braces for added strength.

Photo 3 : 47mm x 75mm beam work continued over obs framework.

Photo 4 : Framework for the roll off roof section all painted and complete.

Next up: ROR castors

Wayne

post-18037-133877454909_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877454918_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877454927_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877454935_thumb.jpg

Oh, you're rolling it off to the left? I was sure the roof would go over the warm room...

Looking good so far. Lots of good ideas to be had... ;-)

No room :D

That's why the warm room is smaller.We have a path down to the carport and a shed just to right.I had tried to workout how to roll over the warmroom.I would have to duck everytime I went to my car and one of the supports would of been smack band in the middle of the path :)

Have to work with what you have at the end of the day.:D

Wayne

Hi to All, :)

Photo 1 : I was getting bored with looking at the orange waste pipe,so I sprayed my pier early. :icon_scratch:

I used grey plastic car primer paint.

Photo 2 : I have used 12 castors (6 each side) for my ROR framework.Rolls like a dream,but no weight added yet. :mad:

Photo 3 : I have used lengths of aluminium angle to keep castors on track,to stop my roof veering off to the left or right.

Photo 4/5 : Start off my roof trusswork to check angles and strength.

Wayne

post-18037-13387745687_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877456878_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877456886_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877456894_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877456902_thumb.jpg

ROR structure is all finished and painted.Finally moving on to the warm room build now. :p

Photo 1 : ROR structure finished and painted.

Photo 2 : Start of warm room studwork entance. Centre gap is for the door. Plan to build a bi-fold door,so as not to take up too much room.With perspex windows added to door and wall to aid sight to laptop,for focusing.

Photo 3 : Showing ROR to warm room. ROR roof will overlap warm room by a couple inches to prevent water ingress (hopefully:o)

Photo 4 : Start of warm room studwork.3 walls to go....

Wayne

post-18037-133877458582_thumb.jpg

post-18037-13387745859_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877458599_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877458606_thumb.jpg

Warm room stud walls all finished.....:p

370mm gaps between vertical studs, to allow for loft insulation.

Its nice to see how much room I will have to play with.:evil6:

Next up: Warm room roof studwork structure

Wayne

post-18037-133877459475_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877459483_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne, fantastic job your doing there.

May I just say that looking at post #57, photos 4+5 there will be a lot of dead weight at the point on the roof framework, directly below the center ridge line, especially if snow settles on the roof. A 3x2 screwed on the underside of the roof framework at both gable ends (with the 3" section in the vertical plane) will help to strengthen the structure, provided you have the clearance.

Hope you dont mind me mentioning this, keep up the good work!!

Ooops forgot to say I am a carpenter, 30 years man and boy.....

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about this a lot (even though I don't even have the house/property yet to build an obs in).

It looks like the small ready-made sheds rely on the roof for their stability. If you convert it to a roll-off roof, you'd probably need to put in a lot of extra supports to prevent the shed from collapsing. So you'd need to buy some timber anyway. You also nee more wood for the roof supports to roll the roof onto. I'm wondering if it wouldn't work out cheaper in the end to build it from scratch.

I've seen auctions for reclaimed timber (boards and beams) on ebay that appeared to be rather reasonable.

Just looking at this - do you think it is cheaper to make your own shed/obsy or would it be cheaper to buy a ready made shed and convert to roll off?

I need to post some pics. I have nearly finished the outside of my obs/warm room :hello2:

Ready made sheds are cheaper in the long run.But you spend a long time adapting for your needs.:hello2:

You are also governed by the size they offer 6x4,7x5 etc..

For the room I had,a standard shed would not fit without major modification so I plumbed for self build.

Plus you get the satisfaction of saying " I built that" :)

The external shiplap cladding has come in as the most major expense for my build...:)

Wayne

Hi to all, :)

Apologies for not posting any pics on my obs build for a while.A lot of things have been going on.:hello2:

I have around 34 photos to post over the next few days,to bring you all up to speed on the current stage of my build. :hello2:

These photos pan over a couple of months,so the first few contain the glorious sunny weather we had a couple of months ago. :)

First five photos show the completion of the roof structure for my warmroom.

since these photos have been taken I have taken Onmehedsons advice and added some more support in the way of cross members to both roof structures.

Wayne

post-18037-133877471993_thumb.jpg

post-18037-1338774720_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472008_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472015_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472023_thumb.jpg

Hi to all again, :hello2:

I woke one sunday morning,looked out on my build to find my roll off roof had moved about five foot along the R.O.R structure overnight.

Confused and after a little head scratching, :):)

I ventured outside in my dressing gown and slippers and rolled it back!!!

About 30 mins later looking out with a cup of tea,I saw my roll off roof moving all by its own along the track!!!

ANSWER: The wind.........:hello2:

I could not believe the wind could move the basic frame structure.

So a premature trip to screwfix was needed to get the four corner roof tie-down parts.

As per photos 1&2

But it does show how smooth my ROR rolls :p

In photo 3, I added a skirt of damp proof course all around the base of my build to which the bottom cladding will sit over,to protect any rain dripping on to the floor beams.

Wayne

post-18037-133877472031_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472039_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472063_thumb.jpg

Last post for tonight,

With a few concerns people had raised with my obs being so close to the fence.I have added a damp proof membrance to the fence facing wall, before the cladding will be nailed on.

Also a sneek peek at the start of the cladding....:)

Wayne

post-18037-133877472071_thumb.jpg

post-18037-13387747208_thumb.jpg

Hi to alll, :)

Next load of photos shows finishing the warmroom walls with shiplap cladding.

The most expensive part of the build so far.:D

I did not realise just how many it takes to clad out, or the price.

Feather edge would be a lot cheaper to use, but can warp allowing gaps to appear everywhere :)

All shiplap cladding was treated with two coats of dark brown timber wood preserver before nailing to the frame work,with a further coat applied,once nailed.

Next up : warm room roof

Wayne

post-18037-133877472756_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472765_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472773_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472781_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877472789_thumb.jpg

Hi to all again, :)

I woke one sunday morning,looked out on my build to find my roll off roof had moved about five foot along the R.O.R structure overnight.

Confused and after a little head scratching, :):D

I ventured outside in my dressing gown and slippers and rolled it back!!!

About 30 mins later looking out with a cup of tea,I saw my roll off roof moving all by its own along the track!!!

ANSWER: The wind.........:)

I could not believe the wind could move the basic frame structure.

So a premature trip to screwfix was needed to get the four corner roof tie-down parts.

As per photos 1&2

But it does show how smooth my ROR rolls :eek:

In photo 3, I added a skirt of damp proof course all around the base of my build to which the bottom cladding will sit over,to protect any rain dripping on to the floor beams.

Wayne

What are these roof tie down things called? Will need to get me some of them as well!

Looks cracking BTW!

What a fantastic build. I'm about to build number two, and this thread has some incredible detail which will prove very useful! Look forward to future updates.

It looks like the small ready-made sheds rely on the roof for their stability. If you convert it to a roll-off roof, you'd probably need to put in a lot of extra supports to prevent the shed from collapsing.

I converted my existing cheapo 8x6 shed. I added no additional material apart from 3x1.5" along the top of the shed walls which extended out and also became the runners. No additional support for the walls is needed. I added two left over pieces of wood inside as braces, and one year on it's perfectly fine. My Dad made a shed from scratch, cost wise as everyone says it's not really that much cheaper, but more bespoke and probably slightly over-engineered!

What are these roof tie down things called? Will need to get me some of them as well!

Looks cracking BTW!

Hi Blinky,

For the roof tie downs I used:

4 x 3/8in Turnbuckle (code 18048) £1.55 each

4 x hook on plate (code 16965) £1.99 each

4 x staple on plate (code 11782) £1.99 each

all from screwfix.

Hope that helps

Wayne

Archived