Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Explorer-250PDS Anyone own one?

Im seriously thinking of buying one this weekend and id would be gratefull for any advice from anyone who has one.

Its main use will be visual altho i would like to use is for Planetery imaging. The scope will be used on my EQ6 pro mount which, from what ive read, should have no problem coping. The weight of the scope isnt an issue for me so ive no restrictions in that department, so basically, id like to know how other members find the scope and has anyone any images taken using this scope that they could post.

Many thanks:)

No bad points then?;)

Seriously tho, how were the views through the scope, and did either of you try any imaging?

Reagaurding the scopes awkward viewing, would'nt it have been possible to not over tighten the tubes rings and just swivel the tube into a better position when needed?

Very nice views Mick but sometimes no matter which way you rotate the tube (and risk messing up the GOTO alignment in the process) its in an awkward position.

I know the temptation is to get the biggest mirror that your mount will handle but I found it more trouble than it was worth but thats just my opinion.

Its harder than you may imagine to twist a large reflector in its tube rings. Scopes made from rolled metal have a seam and are not often completely 'true' as a tube.

I found from experience even my 200 was a mare. Slacked the rings not enough and as you twist it you push the mount out of alignment (oh dear - redo the synscan alignment all over again ) slacken the rings too much and the scope slides down the mount, best case you have wrecked the balance so it requires rebalancing (do that synscan thang again) worst case scope slides so badly that stuff gets broke.

You can do a work around and fit a home made tube rotator like my system (explained here Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes) or do the Wilson Rotating rings thing (do a google search for Wilson rings).

But dont underestimate the hassles of large newtonians on EQ mounts. I dont mind it too much because I like the convenience of GoTo and tracking but even a 200 is a handful.

• Like 3

And if you're looking at planetary imaging, consider a Mak-Cass or a SCT. The long focal length you'll need and a much more managable size.

Tony..

Edited by Whippy

Views were nice, no question of that. But as the others have said, turning the tube is not as easy as it sounds. And if you have GOTO it's not something you want to do.

I used mine for imaging the planets and it worked well. I bought it for the 2003 Mars opposition, just a shame it was a rubbish opposition. But Saturn was stunning through that scope but then again, so is Saturn in the 200P.

For me, i would never again consider that size Newt on an EQ. It sounds great in principal but rubbish in pratice.

Astro_Baby, thanks for that, ive just had an idea that would make it so much easier and smother to twist the tube with that settup...How about drilling say a dozen small holes in the bottom tube rings (the part that makes contact with the upper tube rings, and insert some small ball bearings and i tiny dolop of grease. (the ballbearings found in bicycle sprockets or headstocks would do and are only pennies to buy). This way, you'd have hardly any friction between the two sets of tube rings and the tube would rotate smoothly;)

Would anyone now like to tell me something good about this Telescope!! ;):D

Edited by Mick UK

There's plenty good with it ;)

You could buy the Skyliner 250PX dob and then pick up an EQ6 separately. That way you would have two scopes in one. Use it as a dob for visuals, especially darting around the sky on a DSO hunt, the dob is king for this. Or mount it up on the EQ6 for a bit of imaging.

Russ

Astro_Baby, thanks for that, ive just had an idea that would make it so much easier and smother to twist the tube with that settup...How about drilling say a dozen small holes in the bottom tube rings (the part that makes contact with the upper tube rings, and insert some small ball bearings and i tiny dolop of grease. (the ballbearings found in bicycle sprockets or headstocks would do and are only pennies to buy). This way, you'd have hardly any friction between the two sets of tube rings and the tube would rotate smoothly;)

Would anyone now like to tell me something good about this Telescope!! ;):D

But you can still end up with the eyepiece positioned the "wrong" side of the mount and have step around the tripod...

IMHO if you already have the mount, buy the 10" Dobsonian, some 10" tube rings. If you find the EQ mounted 10" a PITA to use then at least you'll have the Dob to fall back on.

Mick - yes you could do ball bearings, and in fact I considered a Teflon ring sandwiched between the two rings to reduce friction but I didn't do it heres why;

1/ The rings arent accuratly cast and have a small amount of slop so there are seldom absoluetly square to each other in any case.

2/ You dont want it to be too freely rotating - with a heavy EP and all the gear on the front of mine zero friction would mean the tube would rotate VERY fast. You need some friction in the system.

Drilling anything too precision into the rings would be hard work for little gain and you'd end up with grease on the scopes side, as you'll be rubbing againts the scope its not a good idea. Grease and optics arent usually a good combination ;)

There are commercially made tube rotation systems around but they are either

(a) Expensive and heavy ( and I mean EXPENSIVE and HEAVY) or

(:) Less Expensive, heavy and naff

Big Newts and EQ mounts are always a headache as quite a few owners will testify too. On the upside the 200 gives good views and its a very competent scope. I like mine on the HEQ5 and consider it a capable all rounder but even me with my love of reflectors and EQ mounts is now seriously considering downsizing to a 6" scope on the grounds of portability.

I'm still convinced i can come up with a solution to the eyepiece problem Astro_Baby!:):D

Forgetting any probs with the scopes postion etc...how do you rate the scope itself? it seems a lot of scope/aperture for £375 im usually wary of things that seems to good to be true and looking at some of the replies to this thread, i havent seen anyone that has said the scope is anything special, just that is good, am i to rad into that, that people are just been polite and not wanting to say its rubbish?;):)

Portability isnt a deciding factor in my choice at all, its the optics im really concerned about as i already have the Skwatcher 80ed pro for my main imaging scope, id like something to compliment it for visual and a bit of planetery imaging and i was hoping the Explorer 250 would be something i coul;d use for many a year.

Thanks for the replies by the way AB / Gaz..much appreciated:)

Edited by Mick UK

Gaz, I think ive mentioned on here once or twice my mother had to drag me backwards screaming, out of toy shops when i was a kid:D

I just want everything the day before i get it!;)

I would like to see some images of some planets or the moon before i buy one tho, i just want to make sure, that buying a good quality barlow lens for the 80ed pro would'nt be a better option for imaging the planets than the 250 explorer.

I would like to view the Clusters through one of those 250's as well some of the Galaxies;)

Edited by Mick UK

I have a 10" F/4.8 Orion Optics newtonian optical tube. Normally I use it on an alt-azimuth mount (rather like a Giro) and it's really easy to set up and use - almost a 10" "grab and go" in fact (apart from a bit of cool down time of course).

I put the scope onto my CG5 mount, which has the 2" steel pipe tripod legs, to see how it fared. The mount could handle the scope for visual use fine (the OTA weighs around 10kg which is relatively light for a 10") but, as a package, I found the whole thing very unweildy - the pleasure seemed to have gone right out of it.

I've a 6" refractor which I also use on the same mount but with that you can easily rotate the diagonal to get the eyepiece in a comfortable position - it's just not as simple with the newt unfortunately.

I have a lot of admiration for those who can manage a 10"+ newtonian on an equatorial mount but personally I'll be sticking with dobsonian / alt-azimuth mounts for scopes in that aperture category in future.

Edited by John

Hi

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 250 OTA mounted on a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro SynScan. Ive had it since last Aug time, its big and heavy and akward and i had moments when i considered giving up. Now i love it (im a beginner) but for me its great, i can set up with ease. For a while the EP was all over the place but I now have it set in a postition that I rarely have to rotate it in the rings, I do have to stand on a chair sometimes. As for imaging im only just starting so can really give an opinion. Im sure there are others on here with a 250 who do image, do a search and you will find them ( think)

Regards

John B

This is my setup - EQ6 and 250px (nonDS). Initially I was for giving up. Too big and awkward, difficult to rotate in rings without moving mount and wrecking the goto alignment. Imaging wise as with all Newts, suffers from coma, so factor in the cost of a MPCC at £130 ish. Great scope the 250px is and I've taken some lovely images with it using a DSLR. Oh and mines permanently mounted, wouldn't have considered it without a pier.

The 200p on the other hand is 100 times more manageable. I lift my Dad's out to the garden with LXD-75 mount, weights and all through the patio doors, all in one piece.

I use a 250P on an EQ-6 and I'm at a loss to understand some of the comments here.

If you've seen some of my drawings of Mars you will just how capable this scope is. I had a decent 200mm previously and it does not compare.

In my view Dobsonians are no use for serious observation. It is the biggest pain imaginable to not have your scope tracking the object you are looking at. I've used undriven scopes and they are a nightmare. Besides, the OP already has an EQ-6...

I do rotate the tube to where I want it to be, but that is easy. The eyepiece is never in a place I cannot reach. I have never needed steps, chairs or any other item to stand on.

The tube is bulky and the mount is heavy, but they are easily manageable. I have a slipped disc in my lower back and get more backache washing the pots than I do moving the scope around. I found to my surprise that I could actually lift the EQ-6 and tripod (no weights) in one piece. The scope goes outside in pieces: the tube; the mount and tripod; the weights; the power supply; the spreader with eyepieces.

It doesn't take long to set up and makes observing pure joy. But I suppose it all depends on whether you want serious observing or casual convenience.

• Like 1