Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hilarious debate on astrophotography 101 on BBC blog

jah79

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I maintain that you have failed to understand the principles of photography and the are governed by what is visible rather than what exists and occurs.

Sweeet, following the photographers line of thinking... I can now image the Southern hemisphere by pointing my scope/CCD at the ground.

The fact that the earth gets in the way dose not change the fact that the DSO's of the southern hemisphere passed the fov of my CCD.

Oh and I can now image on cloudy nights too.:D

Mike.

This may be amusing, but I am not laughing. :)

OK so this guy knows very little about widefield astrophotography (indeed his images are a bit out of focus - as mine are too, sometimes :D ). And, agreed, having been wound up by more knowledgeable types (any of you lot amongst them?), he has risen to the bait and insulted back. So we get a slanging match. In these respects he's in the wrong. But is that any reason to have a go at him, either on that blog or on this forum?

Perhaps he ought to be invited onto SGL, where I'm sure a lot of his errors and misapprehensions can be addressed in a polite manner. If he has an interest in astronomy and astrophotography, surely he'd be welcome?! Everyone's got to start somewhere.

It's not the guy who took the pictures we are on about Pete. The explanations and descriptions are by the Weatherman.

If you are going to be a reporter, it is advisable to get the Information correct, but then we all know how accurate they can be.

Anyway, It's only a bit of fun. Don't get so serious, we do have a sense of responsibility.

Ron.:D

just goes to show a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Surely if he re-reads what he has written he will see the error of his ways,,He will be telling us time lapse photography is not possible next. Maybe someone should ask him who changes the camera batteries in those 5yr long exposures......

This may be amusing, but I am not laughing. :D

OK so this guy knows very little about widefield astrophotography (indeed his images are a bit out of focus - as mine are too, sometimes :) ). And, agreed, having been wound up by more knowledgeable types (any of you lot amongst them?), he has risen to the bait and insulted back. So we get a slanging match. In these respects he's in the wrong. But is that any reason to have a go at him, either on that blog or on this forum?

The point is, someone more knowledgeable has pointed out to him (without having a go at him) that the "geminids" were not in the image as described.

He just keeps insisting that they are, with more and more ridiculous reasons. He even tries to change the point of the argument from the fact that he did not catch any geminids to " You are disputing the fact that the meteor shower existed".

He should have acknowledged the fact he made a mistake and learned from the feedback.

He instead decided to dig himself a large hole and shout from it.:D

Mike.

Here is my picture of the Queen.

You can't see her - but she was there.

The flag is plainly flying at Buckingham Palace, ergo I have photo'd the Queen, even though she is not visible. :D

OMG.

Some people.

(Edit - she appears to be flying the European Union flag - because she has chosen to. Just because it isn't her flag doesn't mean she isn't there. If you look closely enough, she is also winking rakishly...)

post-15346-13387741543_thumb.jpg

The poor guy is STILL maintaining that there are Geminids in the images but to see them you have to super zoom the images. I've zoomed, i have inverted the colour etc and there is not a single meteor of any kind in the images.

Nice picture of Mrs.Windsor there,Lulu. I can even see a corgi behind her.

hilarious but rather sad all the same. just to clarify the person in denial is not dereck brockway but appears to be the photographer. dereck encourages people to send images in to him. some typical BBC journo, probably of similar ability to the idiot that put up that picture of astronomers with that caption in the story about hooligans endangering planes with laser pointers is probably involved as well

I think you are all very nasty! my friend at work believed thunder was clouds banging together..we gently re-educated him (he was 30 at the time)...but things like that you can be told as a child and then not rethink your beliefs...so be careful what you tell your children!

Although I have a 12 year ongoing advertising campaign against my niece where I keep telling her I am the best uncle in the world ever...its not fair shes not buying it...

NC

I have a friend who knew a woman (-sounds like an urban myth, but it's not!:)-) who thought the sun turned into the moon at night. :D

However, to be fair, she wasn't pretending to be an expert on the solar system at the time and she didn't go on insisting that she was right and everyone else was wrong.

Sun/moon woman or Geminid Man - who has the greater emotional intelligence? :D

Archived