Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hilarious debate on astrophotography 101 on BBC blog

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

jah79

jah79

Nebula

• Members
  • 93 posts
See the comments on this blog :D

BBC - Wales Nature: Meteor shower over church in Carmarthenshire
Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PL on EQ3-2
Celestron Skymaster 15x70
Canon EOS 350D

TheThing

TheThing

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • Pip
  • 5,027 posts
:D That's classic!
The Thing

Soligor reflector, 152mm (6"), 750mm, f5; SPC900;

'Onwards to Mars, onwards to Mars.'

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,998 posts
Thanks for that. Its the best read ive had in weeks.

Paul

Celestron 8se (Mick),Sky Watcher Heritage 130P,Celestron 90EQ,Celestron 70 Travelscope,Horizon 8115 tripod,Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. UHC filter,OIII filter and shed load of other various EP's, Canon 450D.

MikeD

MikeD

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,976 posts

I maintain that you have failed to understand the principles of photography and the are governed by what is visible rather than what exists and occurs.

Sweeet, following the photographers line of thinking... I can now image the Southern hemisphere by pointing my scope/CCD at the ground.
The fact that the earth gets in the way dose not change the fact that the DSO's of the southern hemisphere passed the fov of my CCD.

Oh and I can now image on cloudy nights too.:D

Mike.

Skywatcher 250px f4.8 ,EQ6 upgraded to pro, Skywatcher 80ED,DMK21,SXVFH9,HX916,TS off axis guider, MPCC, filter wheel Ha,OIII, SII, CLS and LRGB filters.

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,998 posts
LOL Mike. Good one. Do be sure to post the images when you have them.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher, 17 December 2009 - 01:56 PM.

Paul

Celestron 8se (Mick),Sky Watcher Heritage 130P,Celestron 90EQ,Celestron 70 Travelscope,Horizon 8115 tripod,Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. UHC filter,OIII filter and shed load of other various EP's, Canon 450D.

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,097 posts
Unbelievable. Some people can be
SOooo.. stubborn, you never get through to them.
:D:eek:

661-pete

661-pete

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,803 posts
This may be amusing, but I am not laughing. :)

OK so this guy knows very little about widefield astrophotography (indeed his images are a bit out of focus - as mine are too, sometimes :D ). And, agreed, having been wound up by more knowledgeable types (any of you lot amongst them?), he has risen to the bait and insulted back. So we get a slanging match. In these respects he's in the wrong. But is that any reason to have a go at him, either on that blog or on this forum?

Perhaps he ought to be invited onto SGL, where I'm sure a lot of his errors and misapprehensions can be addressed in a polite manner. If he has an interest in astronomy and astrophotography, surely he'd be welcome?! Everyone's got to start somewhere.

Edited by 661-pete, 17 December 2009 - 02:31 PM.

Pete
Orion Europa 250 & Vixen GP (kept in France); 350D (modded since April 2009)

skye at night

skye at night

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,036 posts
Now I know why I didn't get any Geminids captured on camera this year.....

I didn't use my flash gun..

Steve
Frying Tonight!!!!!

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,097 posts
It's not the guy who took the pictures we are on about Pete. The explanations and descriptions are by the Weatherman.
If you are going to be a reporter, it is advisable to get the Information correct, but then we all know how accurate they can be.
Anyway, It's only a bit of fun. Don't get so serious, we do have a sense of responsibility.
Ron.:D

661-pete

661-pete

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,803 posts
I got the impression that it was the photographer commenting on the blog, rather than the journo, but no matter. I still think that this forum might be a good place for either of them to come on board! :D
Pete
Orion Europa 250 & Vixen GP (kept in France); 350D (modded since April 2009)

dark knight

dark knight

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,278 posts
just goes to show a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Surely if he re-reads what he has written he will see the error of his ways,,He will be telling us time lapse photography is not possible next. Maybe someone should ask him who changes the camera batteries in those 5yr long exposures......
Carl

Women are like a question all wrapped up inside a conundrum

Orchard View Observatory - Westbury, UK
Sky Watcher 8", Pier mounted EQ6 Pro Synscan
ST80 Guide Scope
QHY5 Guide Camera
EQMod Direct
Nexstar 4 XLT
Canon 1000D modded - Filter Removed
Nikon D80
StarLight Express 516 mono
Atik 1HSII

MikeD

MikeD

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,976 posts

This may be amusing, but I am not laughing. :D

OK so this guy knows very little about widefield astrophotography (indeed his images are a bit out of focus - as mine are too, sometimes :) ). And, agreed, having been wound up by more knowledgeable types (any of you lot amongst them?), he has risen to the bait and insulted back. So we get a slanging match. In these respects he's in the wrong. But is that any reason to have a go at him, either on that blog or on this forum?

The point is, someone more knowledgeable has pointed out to him (without having a go at him) that the "geminids" were not in the image as described.
He just keeps insisting that they are, with more and more ridiculous reasons. He even tries to change the point of the argument from the fact that he did not catch any geminids to " You are disputing the fact that the meteor shower existed".
He should have acknowledged the fact he made a mistake and learned from the feedback.

He instead decided to dig himself a large hole and shout from it.:D

Mike.

Skywatcher 250px f4.8 ,EQ6 upgraded to pro, Skywatcher 80ED,DMK21,SXVFH9,HX916,TS off axis guider, MPCC, filter wheel Ha,OIII, SII, CLS and LRGB filters.

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,998 posts
Meteors are like buses....never one when you want one and then 10 come along at the same time.

Paul

lulu57

lulu57

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,402 posts
Here is my picture of the Queen.
You can't see her - but she was there.
The flag is plainly flying at Buckingham Palace, ergo I have photo'd the Queen, even though she is not visible. :D
OMG.
Some people.

(Edit - she appears to be flying the European Union flag - because she has chosen to. Just because it isn't her flag doesn't mean she isn't there. If you look closely enough, she is also winking rakishly...)

Attached Thumbnails

• buckinghampalace_468x376.jpg

Edited by lulu57, 17 December 2009 - 04:49 PM.

Thermals are a girl's best friend.

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,998 posts
The poor guy is STILL maintaining that there are Geminids in the images but to see them you have to super zoom the images. I've zoomed, i have inverted the colour etc and there is not a single meteor of any kind in the images.

Nice picture of Mrs.Windsor there,Lulu. I can even see a corgi behind her.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher, 17 December 2009 - 05:35 PM.

Paul

dark knight

dark knight

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,278 posts
And look at that giant obs on the roof......
Carl

Women are like a question all wrapped up inside a conundrum

Orchard View Observatory - Westbury, UK
Sky Watcher 8", Pier mounted EQ6 Pro Synscan
ST80 Guide Scope
QHY5 Guide Camera
EQMod Direct
Nexstar 4 XLT
Canon 1000D modded - Filter Removed
Nikon D80
StarLight Express 516 mono
Atik 1HSII

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,998 posts
That is the Brian May Observatory.

Paul

Ibbo!

Ibbo!

• Moderators
  • 2,189 posts
To be fair he did predict a cold dry spell on dec 9th

I think I'll see if I can grow some webbed feet

You have to remember he is a weather forecaster!!!
Steve
A few scopes,a few mounts,a few eyepieces,a bit of imaging kit and a planetarium and not enough time to do all

www.astrosphere.org.uk

MikeD

MikeD

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,976 posts
I don't think he is the forcaster, just the guy who sent the image to the forecaster.

Mike.

tinvek

tinvek

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 896 posts
hilarious but rather sad all the same. just to clarify the person in denial is not dereck brockway but appears to be the photographer. dereck encourages people to send images in to him. some typical BBC journo, probably of similar ability to the idiot that put up that picture of astronomers with that caption in the story about hooligans endangering planes with laser pointers is probably involved as well

Edited by tinvek, 17 December 2009 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users