SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Socket head screws / bolts

MikeP

hi

i dont know what shops you have in britain, but here in norway, i can get things like that in carequipment shops, you know, aftermarket stuff for your car, and also in building / hardware stores.

alfi

Hello Mike.

We have a brilliant small shop here in Weymouth called eurofasteners, who stock all sorts of bolts, screws etc in metric, UNC,UNF, Whitworth etc in all sorts of variation of head and material.

If you can't find what you want locally, just let me know what you need and I'll post it to you.

Gone are the days of the local ironmongers unfortunately, where you could buy nails by the pound, in eco friendly paper bags!

Cheers

Rob

Gosh, thanks for all the replies and offers of help. I'll try the sources suggested but at the risk of chancing my arm ....

Does anyone know the diameter of the heads of M8 socket head bolts, that also seem to go by the name allen bolts?

I've got a new ADM Losmandy dovetail for my TOA130 since the Vixen is too insubstantial. Anthony has enlarged some of the holes to take 8mm bolts but while his countersinks fit the bolts he had to hand, the ones I have don't quite fit and are a bit short anyway.

Mike

Gone are the days of the local ironmongers unfortunately, where you could buy nails by the pound, in eco friendly paper bags!

Cheers

Rob

Thankfully not up 'ere :) I'm lucky to have a huge one just down the road, "Geo.Spence Bros."

then I've got "Pudsey Nut& Bolt" and "WDS" just a stones throw away, Lord know what I'd do without them ;)

Karlo

I hope you find what you need Mike !

It seems the heads of M8 allen head bolts are are 13mm - the two bolts I have are exactly that.

I'm waiting for Model Fixings to call me back, so they may have something slightly smaller without resorting to M6's (which I'm sure will fit).

Mike

For what its worth - try Model Engineering Suppliers - they sell all shapes and sizes of fasteners (as well as steel, brass and aluminium sections in manageable sizes, bearings, tools etc) . Try - Reeves 2000, GLR Distributors, Metals on the web, Arc Euro Trade - Usual disclaimer all round! - Just my "other" Hobby.

• 2 months later...
It seems the heads of M8 allen head bolts are are 13mm - the two bolts I have are exactly that.

I'm waiting for Model Fixings to call me back, so they may have something slightly smaller without resorting to M6's (which I'm sure will fit).

Mike

I think some of the nomenclature is wrong in this thread - an M8 hex head bolt, or M8 nut requires a 13mm socket or spanner. M6 = 10mm, M10 = 17mm from memory.

hex_head_grade_5_zinc1.jpg

Cap head requires an Allen key to undo M6 = 5mm, M8 = 6mm, M10 = 8mm typically

cap-head-screws-000101612-4.jpg

Button head (cap) also requires an Allen key, same sizes as before

Button-Head-Sockets.jpg

Bolts requiring Allen keys are much better in high torque, or multiple removal, refitting applications - screwfix is about the best place to buy the fixtures or fittings - I always buy longer than required in stainless, cut them down when you need shorter - generally button heads for example....

Socket Button Screws A2 Stainless Steel M6 x 20mm Pack of 50 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

compared to

M6 x 20 A4 316 Stainless Socket Button ALLEN Bolt 10Pk on eBay (end time 25-Dec-09 12:52:17 GMT)

Hope this helps, hopefully not teaching to suck eggs...

Edited by John78
missed of some dimensions....