SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Has anyone de-forked a 8" meade lx10

polydoros

hi all

im thinking of removing the ota from the fork mount.

is this possible?:D

how easy or hard is this?:)

if anyone has done this please let me know, i would be very grateful.

ive had this scope for years and the optics are superb, and wish to do imaging(long expo)

poly

I have done this a couple of years ago.

You will find 3 screws on each side of the OTA where they meet the fork arm, CAREFULLY unscrew them and the OTA should just come away from the fork arm....

It would probably be best to do this with someone else helping to hold the OTA whilst you concentrate on the unscrewing....

I've done plenty of Lx200 "conversions" but not 100% sure of the Lx10 dec arm arrangement.

You need to loosen and remove the bolts holding one of the dec arms to the base. The OTA is held onto the dec stub shafts by three small Allen head screws, remove them to release the dec arm; flip the scope over and remove the Allen screws from the other side and just lift away the base with the remaining dec fork.

Watch nothing moves while doing this or you will scratch the tube.

To mount the 8" OTA on a GEM mounting you need a long enough dovetail bar to fit from the front cell to the rear cell.

You've had good advice already Poly, I'd only add that it might be easier if the person holding the forks tries to pull them apart a little to release the OTA after unscrewing. My LX10 OTA now rides on my EQ6Pro and is fitted in large Skywatcher rings with a little packing.

Agree it's optically a decent scope so it's a worthwhile excercise!

Mark

post-13671-133877404381_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

If you have the facility to make an inner fork to ride inside the existing one you could make a usefull driven camera platform. I demounted a 12" LX200 which now sits more reliably on a HEQ6, the old fork has been "stretched" to take a lightweight 18" F3.5 Newtonian astrovideo rig.

• 3 weeks later...

yet again reviving this thread. What size screw driver/allen key do I need to take the screws out? One screw is smaller than the other two on each side and I have taken these out. However the two larger ones on each side do not seem to take an allen key or any of my screw drivers? The right size seems to be between 1/8 and 5/32 allen key....

hmmm I'm getting a bit wiser, but not all the way yet....

So what do I need? I have currently have a set of allen / hex keys labled in presumably fractions of an inch 1/16, 5/64... etc. this is presumably imperial? So what I need is a metric set as well?

Imperial fittings. If you think YOU hate them try living in France; O, Pierre zis crazee eeenglish wants a clef Allen in eeenches!!!!!!!!!! (Both retire to the bar for an hour's cognac break, mockery and mirth. The more sophisticated may join in with, O, 'ow iz your Mars lander???)

Olly

Archived