SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TAL 125r Refractor

DaveGibbons

I have now had my 5" Tal refractor for a several months months and hope you find this write up of some interest.

Refractors have always been a love of mine, although I have owned almost every type of scope in recent years there is something just so right about a 'real' telescope!

I am aware that achromats are no longer considered 'sexy' with the influx of reasonably priced scopes manufactured with low dispersion element in the objective, in particular the skywatcher apo 's represent good value, but a 5" apo ain't cheap.

Tal have an excellent reputation for making rather good achromatic refractor objectives, in particular this reputation has come about through the much loved 100r and 100rs (2" focusser) f10 refractors. Many of us have owned one of these, I did and the quality of the optics was superb. Damien Peach actually wrote a very positive review for this scope I don't know if it's still around on the web. I don't think you can get a finer achromat without going something like a f12 D&G , size and cost count these out for most of us.

Tal introduced the 5" 125r a few years ago and I know at the time it was rumoured that it would be a full blown apo and some were disappointed when up they came with a n F8.9 achromat with a 2" R&P focusser.

Focal length is 1124 mm and the tube is made in two parts screwed together a tapered front end and what looks like half an 100rs at the back all made from aluminium rolled tube. It has a 2" rack and pinion (wot no crayford!) focusser and a high quality 6x30 finderscope It's actually built like a

tank and has it's own rustic charm as many Russian scopes do.

The objective has a deep blue hue from the antireflective coating and the tube is well baffled internally with blackened surfaces. The cell is well made and of a higher quality than the Chinese f8 ones.

I have mounted the scope on a standard HEQ5 with some full height (58") fixed wooden legs I knocked up myself. This allows viewing at the zenith whilst seated and is far more stable than the tubed legs.

I prefer the non-goto mount for simplicity and ease of use; I don't have any problems finding my way round after 35 years of observing.

The scope comes with a 1.25" diagonal of very good quality and as I don't view with 2" eyepieces it is fine for me. I should have mentioned the ota assembly comes in a really nice solid Baltic Birch Ply box that is very well constructed with black metal fitting and looks like it would take a bomb to damage it!

I have only one gripe and that is the pathetic plastic knobs on the focusser. I've junked these and a mate of mine has turned some beautiful large brass one that give very fine movement and suit the retro look of the Tal.

So how does it perform under the stars? First light for me was earlier in the year taking a look at the trapezium in orion, all six component were beautifully on show E and F stars easily evident I knew I was onto a winner with that view alone. The level of contrast that showed in the gas clouds of M42

gave some of the best aesthetically pleasing views i've had on this object. It excels at open galactic clusters stars are pinpoint chips on black velvet(ok with a hint of sodium) . Individual star colours are evident and I don't mean false colour!

So let's touch on the dreaded false colour that all achromats exhibit. It is a magnitude better than all the 6" f8 Chinese scopes I've looked through and is really only evident on the moons limb and slight discoloration on Jupiter and other very bright objects such as Vega. I do not find it intrusive at all, On stars less than say 1st mag not really evident at all when in focus. the images are absolutely razor sharp the contrast is superb. No other scope design can match a good refractor in that department.

I watched a shadow transit on Jupiter a couple of nights ago and despite the low elevation the amount of detail in the Jovian cloud tops was mesmerising, the moons shadow was like an inky black hole riding across a turbulent sea as good as any image I had seen at the eyepiece.

Double stars are another passion of mine and I am truly blown away at what this scope can do. The double double Epsilon Lyra is cleanly split at x90, but what really knocked my socks off was the double Lambda cygni.

This is a difficult target for scopes in the 6-10" range having disparate magnitude separated by only 0.92 arc seconds. On Tuesday night I managed to separate the pair using double stacked barlows and a 9mm eyepiece as it crossed the zenith. This is a magnification of x500 or 100x per inch. This

is an absolute indication of how good the optics are, as far as I can see the objective has a near as dam it perfect figure and is in absolute perfect collimation.

Don't get me wrong if I could afford a large Takahashi or TMB apo triplet I would have one ! In reality it ain't gonna happen so I will make do with my Tal at fraction of the cost but a high percentage of the performance.

It really is a wonderful scope , the only sad thing is I believe not that many were actually sold in the U.K. , but if you do come across one and it's in good nick get your cash out you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Dave

post-12720-133877391093_thumb.jpg

post-12720-133877391101_thumb.jpg

post-12720-13387739111_thumb.jpg

post-12720-133877391117_thumb.jpg

post-12720-133877391125_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting report Dave.

I've always been a TAL fan, ever since I bought my first 100r. That was about 9 years ago. After 2 years I swapped it for a 100rs with the 2ins focusser. Another 3 years and I traded it for a 125 RS. I thought the 125 RS had great optics with good contrast. For an achro the false colour was well controlled. To me it always looked like a 'proper' telescope, with the flared tube.

As I got into DSO imaging I sold the scope a couple of years ago - complete of course with the baltic pine case!

MD

Nice review, thanks!

As a side note TAL do make or have made both achro and apo refractors. These have been available in apertures of 75mm, 100mm and 125mm.

Only the 100r/rs and 125r ever made it abroad as far as I can tell (although Tal were trying to sell and rent them in advance over the web for observers travelling to Novosibersk for the eclipse).

I think the costs incured by suppliers just don't make them an economical import.

I for one will miss Tal now no one sells the majority of them.

Anyway thanks again for the review, I hope I get the chance to view through one of these babies some time!

Interesting part timer, I was unaware that the apo went any further than the prototype and was also unaware about the 75mm achro/apo. Have you got a link about them?

Great review Dave, I wanted to buy this when it was up for sale but I couldn't find the money. Nice to see it's gone to a good home though :).

Tony..

Whippy,

Sorry, no I can't remember the link (and it may now have expired as the eclipse is in the past).

This is a similar one but doesn't have the APO's. http://www.total-eclipse-2008.com/telescopes.php

The original had nicer pictures and more scopes.

I don't think the APO scopes are exactly common, in fact it is possible that the prototype was the last. They were however taking orders for them at that time to be collected prior to the eclipse. These were available for sale or short term hire.

Perhaps they thought every one would use filters for the eclipse and wouldn't see the difference!

I must say I quite fancied the 75mm!

Moondog this was originally your scope which Dweller kindly sold on to me, many thanks to both of you for keeping it in good nick!

Part Timer, I am unaware that Tal ever manufactured an apochromatic refractor of any size. I used to be a member of the Tal yahoo group

and don't think any ever sold anywhere in the world. It's possible a prototype exists somewhere deep in Siberia!

cheers

Dave

The objective has a deep blue hue from the antireflective coating and the tube is well baffled internally with blackened surfaces. The cell is well made and of a higher quality than the Chinese f8 ones.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Nice report Dave, you are spot on with the 'real' telescope! statement (although I'm biased).

What is it with Refractors ?

I have had the most pleasing views of the Moon with a Refractor although i have only had Refractors & Maks :).

I would expect the build quality to be one up on the Chinese but do you feel the TAL tops the far east F8's planetary performance?.

I know it's difficult to answer with out a side by side test.

My pockets aren't that deep so it's Achro's all that way for me :).

Paul

Hi Dave

Nice report Dave, you are spot on with the 'real' telescope! statement (although I'm biased).

What is it with Refractors ?

I have had the most pleasing views of the Moon with a Refractor although i have only had Refractors & Maks :).

I would expect the build quality to be one up on the Chinese but do you feel the TAL tops the far east F8's planetary performance?.

I know it's difficult to answer with out a side by side test.

My pockets aren't that deep so it's Achro's all that way for me :).

Paul

Paul, I've owned a whole bunch of 5 and 6 inch achro's. 2 meade ar5's 3 6" skywatcher f8's and a helios 6" f8(skywatcher). They all had decent optics the Helios had outstanding optics. All the f8's had a bit more false colour than the tal on planets and moon although the extra inch should give better resolution in general. I still feel the Tal gives a more perfect view if that makes sense stars appear tighter and diffraction rings cleaner. Collimation with the Chinese scopes can be an issue especially if it's one of the newer adjustable cell type. They are not easy to put right like a newt or sct if they have been fiddled with! Best to view before you buy if you can.

Dave

Paul, I've owned a whole bunch of 5 and 6 inch achro's. 2 meade ar5's 3 6" skywatcher f8's and a helios 6" f8(skywatcher). They all had decent optics the Helios had outstanding optics. All the f8's had a bit more false colour than the tal on planets and moon although the extra inch should give better resolution in general. I still feel the Tal gives a more perfect view if that makes sense stars appear tighter and diffraction rings cleaner. Collimation with the Chinese scopes can be an issue especially if it's one of the newer adjustable cell type. They are not easy to put right like a newt or sct if they have been fiddled with! Best to view before you buy if you can.

Dave

Thanks for your feedback Dave.

The TAL looks like one to add to my wish list.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...
Moondog this was originally your scope which Dweller kindly sold on to me, many thanks to both of you for keeping it in good nick!

Part Timer, I am unaware that Tal ever manufactured an apochromatic refractor of any size. I used to be a member of the Tal yahoo group

and don't think any ever sold anywhere in the world. It's possible a prototype exists somewhere deep in Siberia!

cheers

Dave

Resurecting an old thread, but it may be of interest to Tal fans.

Some pics of the Tal 5" F7.5 Apo prototype(?) at Russian astrofest '09. Mount is the MT-3S-2D and prototype goto computer control.

post-9-1241621100.jpg

post-9-1241621642.jpg

Cheers,

Andy.

15/6/09 pricelist quotes the ota for 31,199 roubles. A tad cheaper than the 200K !!

Would be more than tempting if they could start production at that price. Time will tell.

Ash.

ps: Sorry for kinda highjacking this thread.

pps: 125r is still in production, just not imported to this country by ovl ltd. Well, actually they import hee-haw Tal stuff anymore.

Hi Andy if Tal are still making the 125rs do you think it could be ordered from them direct . I just had a email from OVL to say they are not importing them also very fewother countries in europe are either.

Don't see why not.

I'm in the the process of buying a motor from them direct.

Try contacting Yuri Elovenko at uran@npz.spektr.siberia.net

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Woops !!

Those pics above are not of the 125 apo but of the 150 apo prototype.

Sorry about that.

According to the designer, the 150 is going into production in 2010.

The 125 apo is available from the factory now, from what I can gather. It looks similar the 125r with the flared tube.

A 100 apo is also hoped to be out after the 150.

Some prototype pics of the 100

4106691409_56153b25bd.jpg

4106691563_10f3b8e695.jpg

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: 2nd pic - scope in front is the 75r

Archived