Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Motorising my roll off roof

George

Been threatening todo this for a while now and have been keeping an eye out on ebay for over a year for a cheap garage door opener :) Well I picked up a mint condition Chamberlin Motorlift 5000 which has a 1/2 HP motor for £31 :p I drove over to Rotherham last weekend to pick it up as postage for a 3 metre parcel was on the expensive side :)

Here's my new toy

post-13224-133877390526_thumb.jpg

After a couple of hours fitting/modifying and messing with the open and close limits I'm glad to say it works perfectly, opening and closing is a breeze now via the wireless remote. Just 1 or 2 bits left todo mainly fitting a weatherproof box over the motor and electronics box and giving all the exposed bits a good waterproof greasing.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll post a video and some pictures of the finished project.

Great stuff George. I think you got a bargain there mate.

Bound to put the icing on the cake.

Push button operation throughout. Can't be bad.

Look forward to seeing the Vid.

Are you going to Kelling by the way?

Ron.:)

I got a Chamberlain liftmaster professional that was recovered from my mums garage thinking that it would be useful one day for that roll off roof obys that I might just getting round to. Trouble is, it was horrendously noisy in operation. That could have been the garage door making all the noise but if the motor unit makes half the racket, I can see the neighbours not being too chuffed.

How noisy is yours?

John

Extremely quite, just a steady hum. Make sure the chain is tensioned correctly as this can make them noisy....also make sure its well greased.

When it stops raining I'll take some pictures and a video as promised :)

Nice one George...

Just need to link it in with a rain sensor now then and have the roof close automatically... Although with the sumer we have had.. it would probably never allow you to open it in the first place...

Peter...

Shades of 2001 perhaps ?

" open the observatory roof HAL"

" im sorry, i can't do that, it's going to rain " :)

Nice one George...

Just need to link it in with a rain sensor now then and have the roof close automatically... Although with the sumer we have had.. it would probably never allow you to open it in the first place...

Peter...

A guy on UKAI has already done this :)

TBH I wouldn't want to risk the scopes not being in the parked position when the roof closed, which reminds me I have to rig up a dead switch to disable the electrics on the motor when the scopes in use.

Archived