Narrowband

SimpleGpUsb - A home brew auto guider...

samtheeagle

Sure.... But currently I am using Canon A540 Afocal (+ CHDK) which gives-up when I go for long exposure. But Still, I will try to get some guided results with borrowed canon DSLR.

Meanwhile, I am planning to modify a canon A470, which I bought used for Rs. 600/- ($10). I will be removing its lens, makeing a ccd cooling arrangement and controlling it with CHDK through PC. I read lots of projects which failed when lens was kept dangling. I think If I can address this area I will end up with a good Astro-cam within Rs. 4~5K ($80).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi All!

I found this great and cheap guider port description here, big like for the enginer :)

I've made it from the description, I couldn't order CP2103 only CP2104 board, port number 4, CP210xPortReadWrite.exe works-> I see the controller led is changing to red and i feel the motors movement, but with any ascom platform guider program like PHD cant control it I tried with manual etc. no luck

I've check the code but I didnt see any board dependency so as I see its universal for all CP210x board with GPIO.

Windows 7 32bit

Please help Me!!!

regards Thomas

Hi All!

I found this great and cheap guider port description here, big like for the enginer :)

I've made it from the description, I couldn't order CP2103 only CP2104 board, port number 4, CP210xPortReadWrite.exe works-> I see the controller led is changing to red and i feel the motors movement, but with any ascom platform guider program like PHD cant control it I tried with manual etc. no luck

I've check the code but I didnt see any board dependency so as I see its universal for all CP210x board with GPIO.

Windows 7 32bit

Please help Me!!!

regards Thomas

I geuss I found the problem when I install the simpledriver I cannot control with the board, the PortNumExampleVC.exe, see the device with wrong port ID

Found Device: VID=AEF7, PID=51A0

Serial Num=

Interface=0

This device is on COM Port: -1

I geuss I found the problem when I install the simpledriver I cannot control with the board, the PortNumExampleVC.exe, see the device with wrong port ID

Found Device: VID=AEF7, PID=51A0

Serial Num=

Interface=0

This device is on COM Port: -1

WORKING NOW!!!! uninstalled simpledriver than install sili driver and simple driver again!!!!!! and CP21xxCustomizationUtility see the device with simple driver!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi All.  Great place ya'll have here.  This is my first post.

Just wanted to report that I successfully got everything going with SimpleGPUSB for my first guiding setup.  At first I tried everything on a Win_8 64 bit system, to no avail.  I then got an older Win_7 32bit laptop from a friend, installed everything, and got it working no problem.  I just hooked it to my Meade LX-50 10" SCT and confirmed that the RA motor stops or goes twice as fast with the East & West buttons within PHD.  Everything should be alright!

I'm using PC817 optocouplers for isolation bwtn. scope and computer.

A big thanks to Sub Dwarf, the OP, for the idea and software.  Amateur contribution really makes the World go round sometimes - I know I wouldn't be where I'm at without people giving back.  Thanks again.

Regards,

- Pyrotrons

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

Im face with the driver problem again.
Solution:
1. download the CP2104 driver from Sil Labs, install etc.
2. install the DIY SimpleGpUsb driver

3. If SimpleGpUsb has overwrite the driver CP2104 > switch to Sil Lab driver

4. Find folder under Program FIles / SimpleGpUsb and overwrite the CP210xRuntime.dll file from original Sil Labs / AN223SW_GPIO_Read_Write_Examples
Tested under Windows 7 32/64 bit
Conclusion the Ascom driver is working with original CP2104 driver only 1 problem the SimpleGpUSB driver install wrong runtime library

• 1 year later...

Hi , This project looks like just what I want but it appears that the CP2103 is no longer available. The CP2102 USB to UART is available and seems to be fairly similar, can anyone with more knowledge than my meagre pile advise if this is a straight substitution or would a new design be required?

Gary

Archived