SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards

Review by Richie Jarvis

Each of us when first coming into Deep-sky Imaging find the learning curve steep. We also find it expensive - not only in equipment, but in mistakes! I know I am not alone in this. Buying this book is a good way to tackle both problems.

In this book, Steve Richards has managed to deliver what every apprentice Astro-imager needs when they start out - a comprehensive and well laid out guide to every aspect of deep-sky imaging.

The book starts with a few words from Sir Patrick Moore, which gives a good indication of the quality of what is to come. After a solid introduction, Steve then delves into a discussion of types of suitable equipment for deep-sky imaging. The advice given here is invaluable, and will save you money if you take it (assuming you haven't just spent loads of money on new kit!)

The solid meat of the book is now on-hand. Steve introduces a concept that every successful astro-imager has learnt through trial and error, blood, sweat and tears - use of a fixed and repeatable procedure - the main-stay of every good image ever captured. The procedure 'Find - Focus - Frame - Follow - Film - Finish' is something which every seasoned astro-imager can relate to.

Chapter by chapter, Steve then expands upon each stage in the procedure, and gives detailed information on how to accurately achieve each step using the various types of equipment covered in the Equipment chapter. Even more importantly, the reason why that step is covered with enough detail to satisfy all but the most information hungry die-hards.

The only thing I can think of that is missing from the book is a laminated 'crib-sheet' which people can use to remind themselves of the procedure whilst out in the field.

I can honestly say that Steve's explanations of the detail have opened my eyes to areas in which my own imaging routine needs to be tightened up. I firmly believe that yours will as well - no matter whether you are a seasoned Astro-imager, or an untried newbie to this fascinating aspect of Astronomy.

A cracking good job Steve - Well done!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything RJ said...

Its a brill book... Pity it wasnt around when i started out... I would have bought different kit... I just wish it would lay flat - make refering to the processing section a lot easier...

I have thought of buying a 2nd copy and ring binding it...for that very purpose... or perhaps the author would consider "e-booking" that section for purchasers to download ....

Peter...

• 1 year later...

You've no Idea how much I'm depending on it, so the review is good news for me, although when one sees what Steve has accomplished, the book has to be worth its weight.

I bought it very early after publication, but I've not read it as yet.:mad:

Ron.

I thought I'd buy this to read when I get home but Amazon doesn't seem to stock it -strange that !!!

Who needs Amazon when FLO stock it? Also available direct as James says.

does this book give details of how to use photoshop to create better images

Yes it does.

I've had this book for a couple of months and I've read it from back to front over and over. The downside to it is all the pages are falling out.:)

It really does go from thread to the needle to help newcomers into the world of astrophotography. Highly recommended.

I'd certainly concur. I've had my copy since Xmas and it is well used. I'm not yet on the path to DSLR photography, but have found it very useful for webcam imaging.

TBH, it's worth the cover price alone, just to look at Steve's fantastic pictures!

Yup, will be making a call to FLO asap.

I didn't think to look there as I found that most of these online astronomy stores don't usually seem to stock much in the way of literature, so kind of forgot - thanks guys.

Ordered and paid for from FLO, can't wait to get 'me hands on it', it'll get flicked through while I'm home (lots of other things to do, and then poured over in detail while I'm offshore next trip.

I ordered this book direct on Monday night (after reading this review) and it arrived today, and first impressions are extremely promising. The photos in the book are wonderful and as someone has already said the book would be worth the price for the pictures alone. Obviously I've only had a chance to flick through the first couple of chapters but I've learned a lot already, it looks like a great introduction to astrophotography and the only basic piece of equipment I am lacking is a kitchen timer!

So expect to see some pics soon!

Thanks Steve

Col

This book has been a MASSIVE help to me and for a while yet i reckon i will be using it frequently as a reference.

the only fault i could find with this book was that it fell apart, and i mean every page came out individualy, not steve's fault i would imagine probably the publishers but i have fixed anyways.

Any one else have this problem? it might of just been a one off.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the bookbinders must have let a batch go through without enough glue. Shame but these things do happen. I don't know whether the author has already done so but I would certainly want to pay a visit to the binder for some answers. As you say it sounds like a great book, will probably get a copy myself, the binders should be more careful with someones hard work.

Archived