Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade MA Modified Achromat 5x 1.25" Eyepiece Set

Ghost66

I've not seen one myself but about a year or two ago there were a number being offered on ebay.

Try posting a 'wanted' ad in the buy/sell section here on SGL, you are far more likely to be offered the real thing. There are a number of other good-quality secondhand eyepieces that should interest you, if you have questions or concerns just ask for opinions.

HTH

For telescopes with a focal ratio above f7, the Kellners or Modified Achromats will work reasonably well. Bang per buck for beginners they can be very cost effective. Upgrade comes with experience.

Not all the 3000 series were made in Japan, a few years ago they switched manufacture to China.

Thanks for that clarification Steve :)

It's the Japanese ones that I've used and found nice for their cost.

John

Yes, pre-FLO I bought four series 3000 Plossls for myself. The shop had a mix - some Japan and some Chinese - so I asked for Japanese ones. In all honesty I doubt there was much if, any, difference but knowing they were Japanese was somehow reassuring.

Eyepieces can be addictive and I have owned and used allsorts over the years. It really isn't difficult to find good, cheap, secondhand eyepieces.

is there any way to spot fakes?

I bought a set of 4 on ebay about a year ago and I actually had a genuine meade 4000 e/p to compare. There was definitely something dodgy about them eg -

1) the 12 mm e/p had no threading for the filter

2/ the boxes they came in were not the "Meade" blue - they were a sort of more generic royal blue. Also, the Meade logo was a bit rubbish - sort of like a bad forgery. And all the boxes were the same size.

3) I think they only cost about £40 for 4 :)

having said that, the quality seemd ok and I could do a direct compare with the genuine one I had and no obvious difference (to my eyes). in fact, the 12mm is one of my fave eyepieces - it just seems incredibly sharp.

Also, if you were going to go to the hassle of making a half decent fake e/p wouldn't you fake something more expensive?

So my guess is that they're probably seconds not fakes

having said that, my experience is that you're much better off buying one good e/p rather than 5 or 6 mediocre ones (whether they're fakes, seconds or genuine)

Archived