SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope paint job

Ferox

I recently bought a secondhand Skywatcher Startravel 102 ota with

the idea that it would make a reasonable guide scope.

However the paintwork wasn't really to my taste, I went to Halfords to see what colour I wanted and decided to try a pearlescent paint.

Here are some before pictures.

post-14333-133877364922_thumb.jpg

post-14333-133877364927_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the person I bought it from (in his 50's at a guess) painted it himself,

he said he didn't like the original skywatcher colour. ;)

Ant, It wasn't so much the colour that I objected to but the way it had been painted with big runs all over it.

.... so what are you saying, people in their fifties can't paint and have poor colour taste? :rolleyes::D:D Just joshing with ya!

Well now that you mention it..... ;):hello2:

Next stage done, primed and ready to start the painting.

post-14333-133877365209_thumb.jpg

Looks nice now! :)

Must admit, I sliced the ST102's dew shield into three equal-sized bits for various projects - interchangable solar filter etc. Having experimented with various methods of removing (Nitromors) the original light blue paint, I was impressed how tough the darn stuff was... expecially the lingering "sand" content. I suggest, to anyone, just a light sanding, rather than a complete strip down. ;)

Mian problem now will be dealing with some HOLES that have "mysteriously" appeared in the tube, during the course of several of my other (ahem) experiments. LOL. But I'm going to try one of these putty-like (metal) fillers - also from Halfords, on those... :)

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Very nice.. when you said pearlescent I was worried.. but as it's basically black I highly approve :) the only colour a scope should be :eek:

The pearlescent effect is a lot more subtle than in the pics, I had to take the photos in full sunshine before you could see it.

I didn't want anything too outlandish, besides I do like black. :)

Archived