Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

imaging and filter's

mikeglr

hi could anyone help the other night i thought i'd have a go at the eskimo nebula, as the moon was up and bright i used uhc filter i got a good focus on procyon so then set myself up for the eskimo but nothing showed up on my photo's {not even background star's}. i was taking 2 min exposure's so i thought i'd have seen something. i'm using 150p newt on eq3 with cannon 1000d, as far as i could tell i had good polar aligment as no trail's showed up on my test shot's of procyon and had good three star alignment

should add that to get a focus i have to use my barlow x2 so to use my filter i had to add my 10mm eyepiece so was quite high magnifcation {10mm is the lowest mag eyepiece that will fit}

i'm new to this so probably doing something wrong any help would be very appreciated

I've read and re-read your post and still I'm confused???

You use the Barlow to focus? You then added a 10mm eyepiece with the UHC filter???

The test shots show good images of Procyon... with the Canon1000..

OK Where does the eyepiece come in when your imaging with the Canon?????

I'm guessing... the Canon won't reach focus in the focuser??? without something??? a Barlow??

If you can clarify the set up you use for the imaging i.e. what is connected to what; we can probably help you.

hi i'll try and explain a bit clearer

i've got a t-ring which connect's to the camera.

t-adapter which fit's to the t-ring and goes onto the eyepiece of the scope.

what i found was i couldn't get a focus using the t-adapter even if i use eyepiece's in the t- adapter

so i unscrewed it and screwed on my barlow instead{my barlow has a threaded end which fit's the t-ring} which worked fine {i've been told it's called negetive focus or something}

only problem is i can't scew a filter onto the barlow so i have to use my eyepiece with the barlow

as i said before i'm probably doing it all wrong it was just a combination i came up with the other night so i could use the filter as i've never tried before

hope this help's

Thanks for the detailled reply.

I understand the T thread adaptor ( which fits the body of the Canon when you remove the camera's lens)...

Fitting this then to an eyepiece is unusual!!

Normally there's a 1.25" to T thread adaptor; this allows you to position the camera body into the focuser on the telescope ( just like an eyepiece), with NO additional optics.

When the camera is mounted like this it's called "prime focus".

Using the barlow and or an eyepiece can be used; normally when trying to get magnification on the moon or planets.

This "eyepiece projection" adaptor allows you to mount an eyepiece inside a tube- one end goes into the focuser and the camera mounts on the other. Depending on the focal length of the eyepiece and the back distance to the camera you can increase the "magnification" by up to 8 or 10 times. VERY difficut to use on anything other than the moon or planets!

Does any of this make sense? I'm thinking you have an eyepiece projection adaptor and trying to make that work for you.....

you may just need the 1.25" to T adaptor?????

could be an eyepiece projection tube it came with the scope along with two other eyepiece's , i've since brought a set of celestron eyepiece's and the x2 barlow that came with that has no threaded end to connect to the t-ring

should i just be using eyepiece projection tube on it's own for dso's

Archived